IGNORED

Wrecked Big Red in Nashville

yamagrl

Wow, this is not what I wanted to wake up to. But, it obviously could have been worse.

Please keep us posted on what is going on and we all want to know what happened. I am about 4 1/2 to five hours from Nashville, assuming traffic is moving there and could come that way. Where is the bike now? I would think most holding yards would give you a hand, but you may have to secure it.

I sure hope you are going to be OK as I know your business is very hands on.

Randy

Heather, sorry to hear about your crash. Hopefully things go smoothly with your upcoming surgery. Prayers will come your way.

Barb and I live about 70 miles SE of Nashville, or about 1/2 way between Nashville and Chattanooga. When are you planning on transporting the bike home? We're going to be gone tomorrow through Sunday evening, but if you'd like help and we're home, you've got it. I'll send you a private message with my cell number.

Frank

Sorry to hear about your accident. Most important thing is that you mend.

How did the accident happen?

Heather,

Sorry to hear about your wreck. Glad you are not in worse shape. I am local in Nashville. What can I do to help?

Good luck with your surgery.

Mongo

Heather,

If you need something give me a call. That will work better than trying to communicate via this forum.

615 913 3796

Here to help if you need it.

Mongo

Just listen to the Docs and let them work. Don't try to rush things. That cost me another operation and more hardware. Good Luck today. :backinmyday:

It's cumbersome to type with one left finger but I'll try to cover everything.

I was on 155 which is like a bypass around the northeast of Nashville and was about to interchange to I-40 E when I basically rear-ended a very slow moving car. I was going about the speed limit and with the flow of traffic. I laid on the brakes but still hit. I have no clue of the actual speed differential. I hit it fairly hard and went over Big Red, bounced off of the car and tumbled down the highway for what the report indicates to be 128 feet. Through the whole ordeal I maintained presence of mind. I did tuck and roll, the centrifugal force made it difficult to tuck but I was able to tumble until I stopped. I was very much aware of what exactly was going on and that I was amidst 5 o'clock traffic in the middle of the interstate. Immediately, when I stopped tumbling I stood erect, put both hands out in front of me and yelled for the cars to stop. After all of that I really didn't want to be run over.

This is not typical of my riding style, skill or talent and I don't make that kind of mistake so I choose to chalk this one up to many of what I call "Thank you, Jesus moments". Perhaps running into the back of that one prevented me from being somewhere, in front of something else, involved in something much worse. I dunno... Knock on wood...

Thanks only to the chilly temperature I was wearing leather boots, full leather over-pants with jeans under, 4 layers on top (not leather), thick gloves with gauntlets (not leather) 3/4 DOT Fulmer helmet. I always wear my helmet so I can use my Sena but rarely wear more that jeans, tennis shoes and tee shirt... maybe fingerless gloves.

Other than the idea that I did hit that car, all of the other stars fully aligned. I'll take luck any day of the week. This could have been really, really bad.

I broke 2 bones in my right wrist. I'm pretty sure that happened when the handlebars were suddenly wrenched out of my grip. I was gripping the front brake like I was trying to do a wheel stand. (Yes, SS brake line, HH pads.) All of the Drs beginning with the Trauma Dr, their Orthopedist, my primary and local orthopedist all insist that surgery before bones heal will result in the best recovery. This orthopedic group did my rotator cuff and I am back to basically 100% (normal) range of motion. I am scheduled on Tuesday 11-22.

Big Red was towed from the scene. I called the wrecker service today and they said the current charges are $370.00 which includes 5 days of storage at $30.00 per day. Does this sound high? I have collision so I'm hoping the insurance company will help. Anyone know anything about that?

Two members from the area, @frankd and @MongoE9 have stepped up to the plate and and offered to help. @Venturous Randy has also offered. As soon as I can get Allstate involved and I can get it released I'll be making a plan and will taking you guys up on your offer.

I think Big Red is likely ride-able.

My left finger is about worn down to a nub, so I'm gunna cut this short now.

Thank you to everyone,

YG, Heather and Big Red

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, dang all I gotta say is you must be tuff, and very glad your able to tell us about it. That actually sounds cheap. Maybe because it's a motorcycle but back in 99 a friend of my brothers stole a my 1 ton, needless to say he got arrested they told me I could come get it. So I go get the release from the cops which had it impounded, go to pick it up figuring pretty easy get there and they hit me with a 450 tow bill plus tell me the motor is locked up in it. Needless to say they also was charging 75 a day... So kissed that truck goodbye among other things.

Living life one curve after the other. Vroom scooting, thru the countryside.

Edited by snyper316

Having collision insurance, then Big Red will probably be totalled won't it? It won't take a lot of repairing to equal the book value of an 83? Anyway, that's not that much to worry about. The first thing will be to get you healed.

I'll heal but Big Red is family!

Good thing it was cold and you were bundled up. Could have been much worse.

If you need any parts I still have the 83 parts bike in the shed if you need anything let me know.

Jerry

I have 2 84 parts bikes if you need anything that will cross over. Here's the catch. Any parts you need are free. I live in Arizona but will be driving East to North Carolina between Dec 21-23. I will be puling a U-Haul. Now.. if there are parts that ( forks handle bars etc) will A: fit in the U-Haul after my daughter packs it up B: have someplace I can drop them off on the way to NC that you could eventually get them. I am heading up I-10 to I-20 to I-95. If something could work I will work with you on that.

I have 2 84 parts bikes if you need anything that will cross over. Here's the catch. Any parts you need are free. I live in Arizona but will be driving East to North Carolina between Dec 21-23. I will be puling a U-Haul. Now.. if there are parts that ( forks handle bars etc) will A: fit in the U-Haul after my daughter packs it up B: have someplace I can drop them off on the way to NC that you could eventually get them. I am heading up I-10 to I-20 to I-95. If something could work I will work with you on that.

Thank you.

I hope to have things worked out with the ins co. this coming week and I will know more then.

Heather

Sorry to hear about your crash Heather, Will be praying for a complete quick recovery.

I was glad to read that the doctors decided to let you go home to get the wrist surgery done, My bro in law was in the same position, They did his wrist surgery after a crash in Traverse City MI, then shipped him back to Grand Rapids to find out it was totally botched and needed to be redone. It takes a plan of attack to put a wrist back together, Hope yours went well!

Sorry to hear about your crash Heather, Will be praying for a complete quick recovery.

I was glad to read that the doctors decided to let you go home to get the wrist surgery done, My bro in law was in the same position, They did his wrist surgery after a crash in Traverse City MI, then shipped him back to Grand Rapids to find out it was totally botched and needed to be redone. It takes a plan of attack to put a wrist back together, Hope yours went well!

They did surgery on Tuesday and I feel pretty good about it. I go back on 12-7. At that point I'll get a cast. Currently in a splint to allow for swelling. I hold it up in front of me instead of using a sling and that helps prevent swelling.

After they set it in the Trauma Center I had no significant pain and only used Naproxen. When the "Block" wore off after surgery it was quite a different story. Horrible pain Tuesday night/Wednesday morning, then manageable pain Wednesday and then only Ibuprofen for swelling and minor discomfort. I hope my recovery will go well. I think the absence of pain is probably a good sign that the bones are positioned properly.

Make no mistake; if I bump it or move it wrong it "Lights my @$$ on FIRE!"

They did surgery on Tuesday and I feel pretty good about it. I go back on 12-7. At that point I'll get a cast. Currently in a splint to allow for swelling. I hold it up in front of me instead of using a sling and that helps prevent swelling.

After they set it in the Trauma Center I had no significant pain and only used Naproxen. When the "Block" wore off after surgery it was quite a different story. Horrible pain Tuesday night/Wednesday morning, then manageable pain Wednesday and then only Ibuprofen for swelling and minor discomfort. I hope my recovery will go well. I think the absence of pain is probably a good sign that the bones are positioned properly.

Make no mistake; if I bump it or move it wrong it "Lights my @$$ on FIRE!"

Really glad your taking steps in the right direction. I'm sure your taking it better than I would. So how long will you be incapacitated?

Heather,

It took me a minute to realize this post was about you or I would have stepped up to the plate much sooner.

1st off OMG, prayers up , hope the suffering is light or the drugs are good.

2nd, I'm here for you whatever you need

3rd, Don't be quick to let insurance company keep bike. Even wrecked There still is a lot of potential in big red.

4th, we can work out the logistics of transport home, storage.in route or whatever it takes. You got one he'll of a support staff on this forum.

Hello Heather: I am not on this forum as much as I used to be. I watch the FB page the most. Just saw this. Glad you survived. My experience with Towing companies is not good. They quickly rack up a large bill that they expect insurance will cover. We all know that is not the case. I hope someone was able to help recover Big Red for you? Heal well. Keep us posted.