IGNORED

Goldwing Alternator Removal

Pam

Yes you can. I did it on my '03 Wing. It's a bit tricky to do though as getting to the inside bolt is like working blind and there's very little room. Wish I could recall exactly how I did it other than it was a real PITA.

There's info on the 'net for doing it as that's how I figured it out when I did mine.

Edited by SilvrT

Just doing a little research, Does anyone know if I can get the alternator out of an 1800 Goldwing without removing the gas tank?

I cannot offer any first hand knowledge on this, but if you are not already a member here, http://gl1800riders.com/forums/index.php, it would be a great place to start asking questions.

Edited by M61A1MECH

As I say I am just researching, I was on the 1800 riders site for a time and dropped off because they were a little snippy. I will check that site out too. Like I say I am just checking things out. I need a new battery in the spring and am not going to get to excited about removing the alternator until then it is still putting out 14.7 volts. The bike has 184000 km so it might be time to do thing about a rebuild

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, the alternator can be removed without removing the seat. I have removed three alternators already per instructions listed below.

If you have any question, give me a call at 256- four two nine- 86 two three

Send me your home email address and I can send you pictures of the tool set up and pictures of how the magnet helped me remove the inside bolt

Instructions:

-Disconnect the positive (+) cable from the battery for safety. Use a wire tie to ensure it does not move back into position and touch the battery post as you remove the alternator...you don't want that to happen...

-Remove the left chrome side cover to gain access to the alternator.

-Disconnect the wires from the rear of the alternator. (This will provide the needed clearance to be able to loosen the inside bolt. Rubber boot needs to be slide back to gain access to remove wires.

-Remove the two accessible bolts with a regular box end wrench. I have ratchet type box end wrenches which make it real easy to do.

-Now for the hard bolt - Use a 9.5 inch long 1/4 inch drive breaker bar and a 3 inch extension with a short well socket to get to the inside bolt. This bolt is a PITA...

You can slide the extension/ socket up in behind the alternator and swivel the socket and extension to line up with the inside bolt head. You may need a pen type (telescopic) magnet to help guide (and or lift) the socket onto the bolt head. You can not get your fingers in there. Once I broke this bolt loose and turned it a couple times outward, I used my pen type magnet and placed it over the head of the bolt and slowly dragged it outward (towards me), turning the bolt with the magnet. Its tricky but it worked!

There is enough room to rotate the breaker bar handle down to loosen the bolt but you will only get 1/4 turn each time. Like I said, it is a PITA..

During installation of new alt, just add a 7 inch piece of rubber hose to the head of the inside bolt and you can slip it in and turn the rubber hose to get the bolt started, and you should be able to turn the bolt 90% of the way in leaving you very little time using the breaker bar and extension to complete tightening it.

DO not tighten this bolt until you get the remaining other two bolts started in their holes and snugged up. Now tighten all three bolts. Don't snap one off or you will be in deep doo-doo..

Again:

If you have any question, give me a call at 256- four two nine- 86 two three

Send me your home email address and I can send you pictures of the tool set up and pictures of how the magnet helped me remove the inside bolt

Eck