IGNORED

Charging at 18V

Well, after installing a new battery a couple months ago it seemed to start and run really well... until yesterday. When I went to start it yesterday morning it seemed to take a little longer to turn over. Then at work, yesterday, it was slow starting and reset the trip meter and defaulted back to showing the total mileage. This is something it did a couple weeks before the battery died last time. Keeping in mind that I had it on the charger all night the night before.

I thought that maybe the bike wasn't charging like it should. Well, I went out and checked the charging and it's charging at 18.4 volts just idling. doesn't really change when you rev it.

I'm guessing that this is too high and I've been burning up my battery. I'm guessing regulator.

Also, could this be the reason my headlight keeps "dimming". I'm thinking that the regulator is putting out too much voltage and, every once in awhile, it will go back to putting out proper voltage and I think the headlight is dimming but it's really going back to normal.

Any thoughts?

Edited by gibvel

Well, after installing a new battery a couple months ago it seemed to start and run really well... until yesterday. When I went to start it yesterday morning it seemed to take a little longer to turn over. Then at work, yesterday, it was slow starting and reset the trip meter and defaulted back to showing the total mileage. This is something it did a couple weeks before the battery died last time. Keeping in mind that I had it on the charger all night the night before.

I thought that maybe the bike wasn't charging like it should. Well, I went out and checked the charging and it's charging at 18.4 volts just idling. doesn't really change when you rev it.

I'm guessing that this is too high and I've been burning up my battery. I'm guessing regulator.

Also, could this be the reason my headlight keeps "dimming". I'm thinking that the regulator is putting out too much voltage and, every once in awhile, it will go back to putting out proper voltage and I think the headlight is dimming but it's really going back to normal.

Any thoughts?

Same thing happened to my '99 at 17vdc. No amps. Replaced the rectifier with an after market Indian Rec. I picked up off Dano here on the board. He found a batch of them and offered them to VR.org members a number of years ago. They are still being made, and might still be available from here:

http://roadstercycle.com/#2 way pic

http://roadstercycle.com/images/CrimpandGoirf.jpgCrimp & Go Kit $128.95

The newest kit from Jack is the Strip, Crimp & Go. I am not an advocate of using your old harness to upgrade to a Mosfet regulator or the new SH775 but some people need this and who I am to say no. If your harness is on a new bike, or is in tip- top condition then this kit will work great for you. You just cut off your old stator and battery connectors and strip the wires and install the heat shrinkable connectors on your stock wiring making sure you have good solid crimps. There is no directions in the kit. You just strip, crimp and go. This kit is fast and easy but you have to do it right. 12" wires on both.Remember that stator leads can go any which way there is no polarity. Also, the wire I use is tin covered copper marine grade wire which solders awesome. It is not aluminum.

You can not order extra wire length for the Crimp and go kit. Also take a look at my LED voltage monitors, they are awesome.

$128.95 + $6.50 S/H