IGNORED

VMax conversions

Freebird

What vmax components can be directly/easily used on a 2nd gen Venture?

I rushed over here to see if I could be the first, but im late. haha, oh well, it still has that new directory smell anyway.

The Vmax heads are a direct bolt on up to 93 according to my research. Once you get to Royal Star the exhaust ports are in a different position for frame clearance. The exhaust port position of the Vmax head prohibits its use on an RSV, again according to my research, I have not tried a fit.

Im unsure if the vmax cams will fit but they look the same to the naked eye. Some head porting would be needed for that to make sense IMHO. I dont know if the vboost components and intakes will bolt on but it looks like it should to the naked eye, I hear that the Ignitek TCI will also control vboost, not sure if that feature is availavle on RSV Ignitek but I cnt see why it could not work. Sorry I dont have more, I did find some reading on this a couple months ago and this is all I got from it.

If you could make an RSV a little vmax-y you could swiftly break some HD hearts.

IF the v-max cams will fit the 2nd gen heads, it would still help power, not as much as the bigger valve plus the bigger cam would do, but still better than stock. I have no idea about the carbs.

If you have access to someone that can do machining for the speedo pickup the the rear end would also give a better gear ratio, or just swap in the gears.

Vmax and Venture royale carbs are very similar with the obvious exception of jetting and a difference of 34mm vs 35mm so possibly the Venture carbs could be jetted appropriately for this application. Guessing rsv and royale are in the same ballpark?

Im not familiar with the rsv heads but is there enough meat there for bigger valves and/or creative match porting? This sounds like a cool idea.

I dont have many parts left but I do have a set of vmax heads and intakes sitting in my frontroom, if photos or measurements can help please let me know.

• 4 years later...

I thought I would add some additional info on the use of VMAX parts on a Second Gen. The First Gen. VMAX Heads are NOT useable on the Second Gens. The Second Gen. heads have a set of mounting holes that connect the top of the engine directly to the frame, unlike the MKI and MKII First Gens. which have an extra set of frame mounting points on the engine block. The VMAX Cams are a direct bolt on fit in the Second Gen. cylinder heads. There is enough "meat" in the heads to machine for the larger Intake Valves. The First Gen: Second Gen: and VMAX Exhaust Valves are the same size. With the taller tranny gears in the Second Gen. Final Drive, the VMAX Final Drive Swap is an excellent upgrade, and is one of the best "Bang for the Buck" upgrades that can be done to a Second Gen. for performance gains. Along with going fast, you will want to be able to STOP your bike as well. The addition of a set of R1/R6 front brake calipers is also a great idea. The late model VMAX front brake calipers are identical to the R1 calipers, just not as flashy. Both the R1/R6 and VMAX front brake calipers are a direct bolt on fit on the Second Gens. I hope this info helps,

Earl

• Like 2

mother of god!!! I just looked up the 2009 V-max and it has 200HP!!! I was wondering about conversions since I read that the V-4 in the RSV is based on the V-max motor but I had no idea the HP was double. I've done some more reading and I guess it is possible to get the V-max motor into my RSV but the cost would  rather high :( then again I'm not sure I could trust myself with a 200HP bike :big-grin-emoticon:

• 5 months later...

I would like to point out the the 2009 Yamaha VMAX is a totally redesigned 1.7L fuel injected V4 that has very little to share with the original 1200cc "First Gen." VMAX. The new VMAX engine is much taller and wider than the original. When I spoke of items that could be shared between the Yamaha Venture and the VMAX I was exclusively speaking about the First Gen. VMAX, NOT the Second Gen. bike. In my opinion, a 200 horse power Second Gen. Royal Star Venture with forward controls would be a "death trap" for the average rider! This is the reason that the Second Gen. VMAX positions the weight of the rider directly over the foot pegs, so that the weight of the rider can be used to control the "body lean" of the motorcycle. Now are there forward control cruiser type motorcycles out there that have been overpowered, (insert Harley here), Yes there are. But as we often see, the skill set of the rider doesn't match the horse power of the bike, and this is where accidents happen. Only the rider can decide if their disposition and riding skill warrants the increase in horse power that a Second Gen. VMAX engine in a Second Gen. Royal Star Venture would produce. As the owner of a First Gen. Venture Royale that is basically a VMAX with luggage, I take the riding of that motorcycle very seriously! Even though I know my limitations with that motorcycle, it is VERY easy for this bike to get out of my control, and has in the past. I have a stock 89'VR that I ride much more regularly. I find that 94 HP matches my skill set much better than 150 HP and NOS! The current issue I face with the 87'VR is I can't, in good conscience sell this motorcycle because I have NO way to measure the skill set of the new owner. I would hate to sell this bike to a "novice" rider, and have them kill themselves with this bike. This bike truly might be a rock I wear around my neck to the day I die because I overbuilt this machine during a time in my life when I THOUGHT I could control it's power. at 66 years old, I no longer feel that way. Think carefully before you modify your bike, I wish I would have!

My thoughts, for what they are worth,

Earl

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, skydoc_17 said:

I would like to point out the the 2009 Yamaha VMAX is a totally redesigned 1.7L fuel injected V4 that has very little to share with the original 1200cc "First Gen." VMAX. The new VMAX engine is much taller and wider than the original. When I spoke of items that could be shared between the Yamaha Venture and the VMAX I was exclusively speaking about the First Gen. VMAX, NOT the Second Gen. bike. In my opinion, a 200 horse power Second Gen. Royal Star Venture with forward controls would be a "death trap" for the average rider! This is the reason that the Second Gen. VMAX positions the weight of the rider directly over the foot pegs, so that the weight of the rider can be used to control the "body lean" of the motorcycle. Now are there forward control cruiser type motorcycles out there that have been overpowered, (insert Harley here), Yes there are. But as we often see, the skill set of the rider doesn't match the horse power of the bike, and this is where accidents happen. Only the rider can decide if their disposition and riding skill warrants the increase in horse power that a Second Gen. VMAX engine in a Second Gen. Royal Star Venture would produce. As the owner of a First Gen. Venture Royale that is basically a VMAX with luggage, I take the riding of that motorcycle very seriously! Even though I know my limitations with that motorcycle, it is VERY easy for this bike to get out of my control, and has in the past. I have a stock 89'VR that I ride much more regularly. I find that 94 HP matches my skill set much better than 150 HP and NOS! The current issue I face with the 87'VR is I can't, in good conscience sell this motorcycle because I have NO way to measure the skill set of the new owner. I would hate to sell this bike to a "novice" rider, and have them kill themselves with this bike. This bike truly might be a rock I wear around my neck to the day I die because I overbuilt this machine during a time in my life when I THOUGHT I could control it's power. at 66 years old, I no longer feel that way. Think carefully before you modify your bike, I wish I would have!

My thoughts, for what they are worth,

Earl

I agree I had friend who built up a 69 charger R/T to the point were it belonged on the track not  on the road. Not long after he sold it to a guy who we found out later did not buy it for himself but for his kids 18th birthday. That kid had not been behind the wheel 20 minutes when he put his foot in it lost control and wiped out. The ambulance had to be called and the son ended up spending some time in the hospital.  My friend felt real bad and told me later if he had known the guy was buying the car for his kid he barely had time behind the wheel he would never have sold it to him.

Edited by saddlebum
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1