IGNORED

Is this a Window's 10 problem

Venturous Randy

Twice now I have encountered a MAJOR problem with a Windows update. The first time, as I was powering down, there was a notation for a Windows update so I clicked on it and it went thru the normal update sequence, then it went to a gray screen window with a set of balls doing a circle thing that lasted all night. The next morning I decided to stop it, which included several hard shutdowns and finally starting in safe mode. I was able to do a system restore and get running again.

Since then, when shutting down, I avoid the update button and have been doing OK until yesterday afternoon. This time, right in the middle of doing something, and it may have even been on here, it went into the update mode automatically and I could not stop it, even hitting the cancel button. It took several hours to do the update things that show the % complete then went into the gray screen with the rotating balls and it was still doing this until about an hour ago when I again started the hard shutdown and restart in safe mode.

I got it back running again, but I have no idea what to do to avoid this. :smash2:

Any help it appreciated.

Randy

OK, If you really stepped in it. And it sounds like you may have. I run "Crap Cleaner" first, make sure to run the registry tool too. Then run "malwarebytes" and /or "Super anti spyware". Also "windows defender", which you should already have. If you know how to get into "safemode" its best to run these progs from in there. If all else fails reinstall OS , if you have the disk. Good Luck.

I am pretty sure most of the windows problems are windows 10 related cause I didn't have any until windows 10. and yeh I get the extended grey screen too right after an update which jumps in right in the middle of doing stuff. scares the pants off me when it happens right in the middle of me doing on line banking, I now go back to old school banking because I don't trust computers anymore. Recently I completed an important qualifications exam needed for work and the credit went to someone else. Imagine if that was a bank transaction

I had identical symptoms with our desktop a couple of days ago. Couldn`t get into safe mode or task manager. Figured a bug worked it`s way in. Out of desperation reset power 4 times and mysteriously the thing booted up to main menu after a half hour on the `standby` logo. Sometimes Win 10 automatic updates have been a real pain . :scratchchin:

I blame Windows 10 for EVERYTHING! Whenever it wants to it decides it's more important to get an update than actually making money. The real thorn in my side is when it decides "Time to reboot. Screw you!" My PC (work) drives a piece of equipment & until now as long as the PeeSee was powered the machine kept running. No longer. If it f... up a job, SO WHAT? Wish I COULD use a Mac but it doesn't work with this setup. I'm surprised open source https://www.osalt.com/windows#alts hasn't already killed Micro$oft. Then again nothing is surprising anymore.

Like in all of the other versions, does Win 10 have an option to turn off auto update? Every puter I have had I turned off auto update just so that it would not reboot at a bad time.
That's what I have done with every version of Windows since auto update was implemented. I tried Win 10 shortly after it was released and if I recall correctly there was no way to turn off the automatic update. When I first upgraded to Win 10 it kept FreeCell despite it not being available but the next day an auto update happened and they took my favourite game away. That was reason enough to down grade to Win 7 for me.

It seems to depend upon which version of Windows 10 you have. It is my understanding that Windows 10 Home Edition does not give you the option of turning off the auto updates. On my Dell laptop, I have Windows 10 Pro edition. It gives me the option of deferring updates and also being notified to schedule updates and not just updating when it decides to.

A few weeks ago, I was notified that Windows 10 Anniversary Edition was available. I let it upgrade on a Sunday and all seemed fine. The next day, I prepared to hit the road to see some customers. Put my computer in the RAM Mount that I have in my car, plugged in the power and the USB connected GPS puck for Microsoft Streets and Trips as I always do, turned on the computer and just as it was about finished booting up, I got the blue screen of death. First time I had ever seen that with Windows 10. It took me a few minutes to realize that the only thing different was the GPS puck being plugged in. I unplugged it and the computer booted as it should. Plugged it back in after it had booted and immediately got the blue screen of death again. Did some quick searching only to learn that others had run into the same issue. No known fix that I have found even to this day. So I immediately rolled my system back to the previous version of Windows 10 and have deferred future updates.

Since Microsoft no longer supports Streets and Trips, it is unlikely that a solution will be offered. I will just stay with the version of 10 that I have for as long as I can. What I'm not sure about is how long Microsoft will allow me to defer the update or if I will be allowed to defer again when the time comes. I have not done an extensive search on the issue but from what I've seen, it just says that you can defer for "months".

I like Windows 10. It has worked fine for me but this computer is only a few months old. The company sent me a new one recently and it came with Windows 10 installed. What I don't like though are these forced updates. Until my company decides upon and implements a new mapping system for our customer maps, I really need to keep Streets and Trips working. My 13,000 customers are pinned with it and my job will become much more difficult without it.

For my personal computer, the one I am on right now, I use a MacBook Pro. I was one the despised the Mac but I finally let my son talk me into buying one a couple of years ago. My only regret now is that I didn't do it sooner. There is a very slight learning curve but not much. The main thing is that it just works as it should.

This thread is good timing.

I was just stating to look for a new laptop to give my 15 YO laptop a much needed rest.

I was going to get a win 10 machine, but have now decided that I will get a Win 7 pro machine.

I still need to keep my old laptop running because it has very expensive software on it that will not run on anything newer than the XP Pro SP 2 that I currently have. To run this software on a newer machine it would take $20K in software upgrades. That aint happening.

So my old laptop will hang around for those times I need to use that old software.

Now, what to get??????

I still run 7 and had sorta the same issue with updates. I have auto turned off and would update periodically manually. I started getting update installs that weren't successful, and finally everything went fubar. It took three days running the MS cleaner, and another 2 to run the updates, but when over everything was back to normal..... so far.. ??

I was just stating to look for a new laptop to give my 15 YO laptop a much needed rest.

I was going to get a win 10 machine, but have now decided that I will get a Win 7 pro machine.

I still need to keep my old laptop running because it has very expensive software on it that will not run on anything newer than the XP Pro SP 2 that I currently have. To run this software on a newer machine it would take $20K in software upgrades. That aint happening.

So my old laptop will hang around for those times I need to use that old software.

Now, what to get??????

You might want to look around right now if you want a Windows 7 machine. They're not going to be available for too much longer >> http://www.networkworld.com/article/3127585/windows/you-have-one-month-to-buy-a-windows-7-or-8-1-pc.html?idg_eid=a19356e0ab2c7b2fb023d3650016fb60&token=%23tk.NWWNLE_nlt_networkworld_microsoft_alert_2016-10-06&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=NWW%20Microsoft%20Alert%202016-10-06&utm_term=networkworld_microsoft_alert

I had a Windows 7 machine I liked really well. Then I uploaded sp1 into it. It brought the machine to a halt. All functions were so slow as to make it useless. The worst part was I couldn't get rid of it. Even with restore. So I was forced to go to Windows 10 Which I hate. So if you get a Windows 7 machine be wary of sp1.

Mike

It seems to depend upon which version of Windows 10 you have. It is my understanding that Windows 10 Home Edition does not give you the option of turning off the auto updates. On my Dell laptop, I have Windows 10 Pro edition. It gives me the option of deferring updates and also being notified to schedule updates and not just updating when it decides to.

A few weeks ago, I was notified that Windows 10 Anniversary Edition was available. I let it upgrade on a Sunday and all seemed fine. The next day, I prepared to hit the road to see some customers. Put my computer in the RAM Mount that I have in my car, plugged in the power and the USB connected GPS puck for Microsoft Streets and Trips as I always do, turned on the computer and just as it was about finished booting up, I got the blue screen of death. First time I had ever seen that with Windows 10. It took me a few minutes to realize that the only thing different was the GPS puck being plugged in. I unplugged it and the computer booted as it should. Plugged it back in after it had booted and immediately got the blue screen of death again. Did some quick searching only to learn that others had run into the same issue. No known fix that I have found even to this day. So I immediately rolled my system back to the previous version of Windows 10 and have deferred future updates.

Since Microsoft no longer supports Streets and Trips, it is unlikely that a solution will be offered. I will just stay with the version of 10 that I have for as long as I can. What I'm not sure about is how long Microsoft will allow me to defer the update or if I will be allowed to defer again when the time comes. I have not done an extensive search on the issue but from what I've seen, it just says that you can defer for "months".

I like Windows 10. It has worked fine for me but this computer is only a few months old. The company sent me a new one recently and it came with Windows 10 installed. What I don't like though are these forced updates. Until my company decides upon and implements a new mapping system for our customer maps, I really need to keep Streets and Trips working. My 13,000 customers are pinned with it and my job will become much more difficult without it.

For my personal computer, the one I am on right now, I use a MacBook Pro. I was one the despised the Mac but I finally let my son talk me into buying one a couple of years ago. My only regret now is that I didn't do it sooner. There is a very slight learning curve but not much. The main thing is that it just works as it should.

Don, My company provides Garmin GPS with company asset locations, poles, substations, offices...., stored in an 'Extras' folder built into the GPS. 1000's of entries. Might be good alternate to Microsoft for your customer locations.

https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch/faq/textsearch?query=extras+folder

Edited by bkuhr
add link

Have you looked into running XP in a virtual machine on Win 10?

http://www.download3k.com/articles/How-to-add-an-XP-Mode-Virtual-Machine-to-Windows-10-or-8-using-Hyper-V-00770

Don, My company provides Garmin GPS with company asset locations, poles, substations, offices...., stored in an 'Extras' folder built into the GPS. 1000's of entries. Might be good alternate to Microsoft for your customer locations.

https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch/faq/textsearch?query=extras+folder

That would be ok but we use it for a lot more than just location. It is tied to spreadsheets, access databases, etc. You can click on a pin and get a lot of information about the customer before you go in to see them.

A competent DB programmer can easily port all that streets and trips info so it can be used on about any GPS. The streets and tripos data files are not hard to get at. Used to work with it doing bus routing software.

In the you are not alone category; Had my phone go fubar several times when android pulled a software update while I was traveling in areas with crap cell signal. Hey I'm busy changing features into "must pay extra" options here, you don't need to phone home.

After a great camping trip, doing some follow up and appreciate the responses. I just did CCleaner and it looks like I will be going back and redoing passwords as when I signed on here, I had to do that. I don't know if it will help to scan with Malwarebites as is should be doing it automatically and I do have the upgraded version.

Randy

Now, what to get??????

This topic kinda came up back in May. Try ORACLE VIRTUALBOX. This is what I use to run DOS, WIN3.1, and WINDOWS7 in a window under Windows 10.

See here

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?119573-WINDOWS-10-HI-jACK/page3&p=968367#post968367

oracle.jpg