IGNORED

83 Venture Rebuild/Restoration

I've enjoyed watching this project come together. You've put a lot of quality work in it, and a shame it's not gonna cross the finish line.. You might want to let folks know what you'd need to get out of it...

Well my wife found out tonight I was putting it up for sale (wasn't going to tell her) and she quickly said "nope, not going to happen". She wants to see it finished, so she must be thinking the same way you are Condor. So disregard my previous post looks like we are going to see this one to completion whenever that will be. Sorry for the confusion. Haha!

Well my wife found out tonight I was putting it up for sale (wasn't going to tell her) and she quickly said "nope, not going to happen". She wants to see it finished, so she must be thinking the same way you are Condor. So disregard my previous post looks like we are going to see this one to completion whenever that will be. Sorry for the confusion. Haha!

Now that's a good woman there.

• 11 months later...

Not quite a year since my last post and we are finally back. Really excited to start working on this project again. I actually started this past summer looking for replacement plastics. Nothing on this bike is in that good of condition and so I have been working on finding crack free parts. I only have a couple more pieces to find and I will have a complete crack free body to put on later this summer. 

Right now I have two smaller projects I am working on. First up is the bank of coils with the plug caps and wires. New caps and wires were ordered last week, and I am working on getting the coils removed so I can clean up the metal bracket and get it painted.

I'm also working on the rear brake components and have everything pretty much disassembled. Most of the parts needed to do the rebuild were just ordered.

Lot's of work to do this winter so stay tuned for more as the progress continues.  

rsz_img_3008.jpg

rsz_img_3019.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/28/2020 at 9:25 AM, Patch said:

There are a lot of details that take time in this project. The journey you carved here is an impressive one, likely reflective of your core.

You and the Mrs. will enjoy this creation for some time to come.

Cheers

Thanks Patch. It's what I love to do so although the time spent so far is a lot, it's all been worth it. Getting the chance to ride it will be the culmination of the effort, but the fun is in the build. Thanks again...........

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Wow, 6 weeks has passed and not much to show for it. Took a short break and started back again about a week ago. Working on the foot pegs along with the shifter and foot brake lever. Also started on the cooling system. I cleaned up a few of the hoses, I thought I had them all, but dug a few more out of the shed tonight. Cleaned and painted one of the fittings for the coolant system, along with the spring clamps. And finally got the fuel filter bracket installed, along with a new nylon braided fuel line going to the carbs. Here are a few pics. 

rsz_img_3186.jpg

rsz_img_3200.jpg

rsz_img_3199.jpg

Looking over the manual tonight and it looks like I have a couple of duplicate hoses, as can be seen in the picture. They were not on the bike when I got it but in a box all taped together. He must have included the extra's he had.  

Edited by Johnnycyclone

Made some good progress this week. One part at a time, but it was a good week. Spending lot's of time looking at the manual, looking at parts diagrams and digging for parts. I have some duplicates and I am still finding parts that are missing from the pile. But still moving forward. Working on the foot pegs and pedals this week. Also still working on the cooling system. Still cleaning and painting brackets and other miscellaneous parts and bolts. Here are a few pics of the progress.

IMG_3210.jpg

rsz_img_3209.jpg

rsz_img_3208.jpg

rsz_img_3211.jpg

• Like 3

Oh I did not need to see this thread.  I think subconsciously I have been avoiding it because I did not want to get sucked into never ending project.  Too late for that since I just dropped off some body parts at the painters shop.  I did not really need to have them repainted but since this and that was getting cleaned up I figured what the hell might as well have the body panels looking good again.

This project just makes my head spin with all the detail.  Every time I have something on this bike off I find myself thinking about restoring it.  Taking it down to the frame scares me because getting thing back on where they belong on these V4s is no simple project.

My other problem is how much work and money do I want to put in a 32 year old bike that is not worth more than a couple of grand even in great shape.  Last summer I found the larger windshield and had the seat restored so I told myself I owed it to the bike to clean up the body work again.  Well in the process of replacing the stater and R/R parts that needed polished are getting cleaned like the covers and passenger floor boards.  I like the handle bars John did.  I might have to do that since they look easy enough to get off.

I was scrolling through the thread and saw the photo of the polishing wheel and had to laugh at the comment about the rubber mats.  I have resorted to old comforters on the floor and against the wall since I have shot many a small part off into floor or wall.  I find is safest to wear an old full face helmet also.  My problem is the 4 hp compressor motor I am using that is spinning way to fast and I have to unplug the drier every time I want to use it.

The next task for me is the clutch and water pump cover.  I found a great vendor of gaskets "Gasket King" He makes his own gaskets and you will get them much faster and cheaper than the OEM ones.

So John are you refinishing your console panels.  I meant to ask the paint shop about it but forgot.  I am thinking a simple coat of black paint but would like to know what others have tried.  I will get some photos  

IMG_1327.JPEG

IMG_1326.JPEG

Not trying to steel hijack you thread John just thought this was a good place to talk about general restoration issues.  There are so many old threads on here it gets difficult to find what you are looking for.   If anyone thinks it is best to start a new thread or put these photos someplace else just let me know.

So I got motivated today to make something look better and pulled the clutch and water pump cover.  The photos show a before and after cleanup.  I learned two things today.  That fancy chrome plate in the middle of the clutch cover is attached by a screw on the inside (why why why would they do this).  It was really tight and required heating to get it out.  Scary since there is a rubber grommet under the screw.  Probably could have left it on but I was sand blasting and thought it best to remove the cover.  The other thing I learned was the water pump cover does not have a gasket it has a big rubber O ring.  Anyone have an idea what size that thing is.  I hate to order it from Yamaha.  I suspect it one can be purchased on line someplace so long as you know the specs.  This bike is going to look way better than it has in a long long time.  I guess i am going to have to keep it even if I don't ride it as much 

IMG_1339.JPEG

IMG_1338.JPEG

IMG_1337.JPEG

IMG_1336.JPEG

IMG_1332.JPEG

IMG_1331.JPEG

IMG_1330.JPEG

• Like 1

No worries on hijacking the thread, all is good. It can actually be helpful because I can see where parts are supposed to go. Haha!

Looking at the project it can be very intimidating. The best way for me to approach it is to hide all the parts and only work on one at a time. So right now the only thing in the garage is the bike and the part I am currently working on. If I bring in to many parts it becomes an overload situation and nothing gets done. The biggest investment is the time, which I don't mind, it gives me something constructive to do. It has been just over 4 years now since the project started, and hopefully this will be the year to finish it up!

I haven't really looked at the console panels much, but I will have to do something with them. Like you said, once you make one part pretty all the rest don't look so good. So if I am going to repaint pretty much everything on the bike I am going to have to do something with the console panels. That will be this summers project. 

Edited by Johnnycyclone