IGNORED

83 Venture Rebuild/Restoration

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got through all of the valve clearances this weekend, so that is done. I also had time to paint the valve covers. I had a before pic but can't find it. Anyway I had these sandblasted when I took in the frame and now they are painted John Deere Winterfrost II and 3 coats of clear. Look pretty sharp, too bad they are pretty much hidden under plastic. Haha!

rsz_img_1643.jpg

Edited by Johnnycyclone

Pretty quiet here so let me post a couple of pics. Spent a little time on the project last night. Cleaned up the carb boots and got them installed. Ran into trouble with one of the screw holes having messed up threads. I drilled and tapped it and put in a helicoil, problem solved. The valve covers are just sitting there right now. I only had 8 of the mounting bolts that were in good condition. I ordered 8 but they are on back order until the end of January. More to come later. Enjoy.

rsz_img_1650.jpg

rsz_img_1649.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Are you keeping a detailed list of expenses?

I started, but after thinking about it more I decided I don't really want to know. Haha! For me the fun is in the restoration so the cost is only part of the fun, if that makes any sense.

I'm glad you found the thread and I will try to post as much as I can so others may benefit from the project.

Yup, you (and I) REALLY don't want to know!! Let's just say I already have 5 figures into my restoration but that is mainly because I really love the bike!!

It's like the guy that spends $50,000 or more on his brand new $20,000 car to make it go faster and handle even better...

Not a lot of work done but still moving forward. Here are a couple of pics from this weeks work.

Working on the rear exhaust. I had the parts blasted when I took the frame in and now have them painted and ready to go back on.

rsz_img_0009.jpg

rsz_img_0010.jpg

Triple tree is back on with new bearings and seals. Front forks from an 86 are mounted so I can take them apart. The plan is for new bushings, seals and progressive springs. Will be making some block off plates so I can remove the anti dive units also.

rsz_img_0011.jpg

Slow and steady.

• 2 months later...

Warm weather is here, garage doors are open and work continues. I'm going to try to spend more time on the project this summer. Worked more on the forks this weekend, I got them pretty much disassembled now and have ordered new bushings and seals. Next I spent some time on the handlebars. I stripped the clear coat on the aluminum parts and have them polished. I also sanded down the steel parts and put a few fresh coats of paint on them.

Before

rsz_img_2196.jpg

After

rsz_1img_2197.jpg

Also did some work on the frame work for the fairings. I sanded them and also put on some fresh paint. One piece at a time.

rsz_img_2198.jpg

Warm weather is here, garage doors are open and work continues. I'm going to try to spend more time on the project this summer. Worked more on the forks this weekend, I got them pretty much disassembled now and have ordered new bushings and seals. Next I spent some time on the handlebars. I stripped the clear coat on the aluminum parts and have them polished. I also sanded down the steel parts and put a few fresh coats of paint on them.

Before

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=116576

After

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=116577

Very nice!

zag

Beautiful work !! Gives me some hope on mine. Well done so far !!

One piece at a time. If I looked at the project as a whole it would be overwhelming and nothing would get done, so I break it down by working on one piece at a time. Not to worry on your project, your doing a great job, keep it up!

Time for an update. Working on rims and tires this week.

Here is a pic of the front tire, looks like brand new never run. Just needs to be cleaned up and should be good to go.

IMG_0042.jpg

Not so fast. I believe this is the date code which means this is a really old tire. Not even going to take the chance, time for a new one.

IMG_0043.jpg

Both tires are off the rims. I have new bearings and seals to install later. First we have to make them pretty again.

IMG_0046.jpg

Last update for the week. I sanded down and painted the mounting bracket for the dash/headlight. I have it loosely installed for now. I need some new rubber bushings to mount the dash.

rsz_img_0049.jpg

rsz_img_0050.jpg

I also started working on crack repairs to the plastic fairings. Lot's of issues to fix so stay tuned. Here's a couple of pics of some of the damage. I'm sure this is nothing new to most of you, probably a pretty common problem.

rsz_img_0038.jpg

rsz_img_0039.jpg