IGNORED

Passenger review request (first gen)

Asher1877

So... Asher's wife, now that you have the picture of a LazyBoy on wheels have you determined your first destination? We have meet n greets, maintenance days, ice cream runs, charity ride to St Judes, rallies and just good fellowship. Pick an event and I bet it will motivate Asher to step up his game on the restoration.

Well, Asher got me hooked on the following from Harley-Davidson's culture I guess? The group rides and meals, I'm a nurse at a children's hospital so anything for the benefit of the kids, I don't know he's had his head buried in technical manuals mumbling about torque figures? Locktight? and a whole lot of swearing. I don't know what is available in the Austin, Tx. area but I haven't made any plans since he hasn't finished it yet.

Hello, I'm Asher's wife and he's been telling me that I shouldn't have a problem with comfort after he's done doing the bike. Our last ride was a sportster that he said was "fun" (hint: it wasn't) and that it was comfortable (hint it wasn't) and that this will be different. He's the only motorcyclist I've ever ridden with and I'm hoping this will be a much happier experience than a Harley Sportster or I'm cutting off his funding for the restoration. Please help relieve my worry that this thing will be another torture rack for me (his bike is an '86 venture royal). Thanks everyone!

Hi Ashers wife!!! I just read what you wrote to my wife - "Tippy" - who is sitting here beside me and has now covered the country with me a number of times on our 1st Gen and she says = :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:,, you are GOOD TO GO:big-grin-emoticon:!! No torture rack, no cramping from riding on the "pillion pad" of a Sporty,,,, total BLISS are her words:thumbsup:.. Having covered over a million miles on the 1st Gen Ventures since '87 and almost all of those with either the wife or one of our children in tow I can totally verify that sleeping passengers is very common, especially when you get beyond 1000 miles or 14 hours of riding in a single day. Mrs Asher, you are actually touching on a subject that I :think: for many many years.. Having ridden and built a number of scoots over the years and never having had a 2 up that came close to the old 1st Gens in rider and passenger comfort my main :think: was always wrapped around the :icon_smile_question of - how da heck did Mom Yam do dat.. I finally discovered the answer a number of years ago = Mom Yam actually hired a team of rider ergonomic comfort Doctors to get into the design of the bike (sounds corny I know but I am telling the truth:happy34::happy65:).. About the only thing I can add to the story to help in your upcoming miles of comfort is to tell you that not being afraid to move your feet around some while your in motion. Long distance comfort seems to be more attainable for all if when your hubby moves his feet forward (I like to ride leaned back and legs stretched out over the crash bars) you are free to move your feet forward onto his pegs if you feel the need.. It is amazing how just a small amount of movement can help:happy34:. Another thing about the 1st Gens (at least the early MK1's, pretty sure the later MK2's are the same) is they have adjustable foot pegs. We like ours full forward on both sets but inseam differences can change that.. I also run my bars full back and down (it's a developed "taste" left over from my Chopper days) so I can lean way back and rest on the passenger and rest the heal of my hands on my knee's while my legs are forward.. In this position I can comfortable enough that, after chasing the front wheel for a sun up till sun down tour I can find myself fighting off catching a snooze with my passenger.. :rotfl:

Gonna try to include a pic of my old Sporty,, definitily NOT a comfortable 2 up scoot but include it so you know I know why you wrote asked about comfort. I also included it cause now you are obligated to post some pics of your future riding adVentures :guitarist 2::guitarist 2::guitarist 2:

Okay so maybe I'll loosen the purse strings a bit. If he's messing with me I'll find it out eventually and then choke him with the wiring harness. 300 miles on the back of a sportster made me a little slow to trust him on this.

Now THATS what I am talking about!!!! Please tell Mr. Asher I said that and see if that dont get a :beer: from him..

Got a couple of em,,, can help out anyone looking for one at a much MUCH better :mo money: than that!!!!!:thumbsup2:

ti3 (175).JPG

Yes, changing leg/foot position is extremely important for long distances. On my '84 I did a little modification and installed passenger floorboards off of a MK2 ('86 - '93) and also added a pair of folding highway pegs so that my wife could change her position. I also had arm rests installed and the trunk was moved back a couple of inches via extender bars. She rode like a queen!!! Finishing touches were a decent sized cup holder and a pouch for personal items...

A looooong time ago, with pictures. The needed threaded holes already exist on the MK1. You just have to fabricate a bracket out of a flat piece of metal to hang the muffler from where the subframe bolts on, to the mounting bracket for the muffler. You need to buy two small 8mm bolts for two of the three mounting holes (the smaller holes), and reuse the big spacer and bolt from the MK1 footpeg mounting bracket, and a big fender washer to keep the spacer in place. For the footpegs I just drilled holes in the front top corner of the MK2 passenger floorboard assembly and bolted them on.

I did make up several of those muffler brackets up and gave them away to several members waaay back before '09, and posted the pictures in a thread, but unfortunately that thread was never put in the technical library. Just buy a pair of MK2 boards, and unbolt the MK1 pieces, and I'm sure you can figure it out, or if you get stuck PM me and I will try to find the original pictures, but I will have to look through literally tens of thousands of pictures...

A looooong time ago, with pictures. The needed threaded holes already exist on the MK1. You just have to fabricate a bracket out of a flat piece of metal to hang the muffler from where the subframe bolts on, to the mounting bracket for the muffler. You need to buy two small 8mm bolts for two of the three mounting holes (the smaller holes), and reuse the big spacer and bolt from the MK1 footpeg mounting bracket, and a big fender washer to keep the spacer in place. For the footpegs I just drilled holes in the front top corner of the MK2 passenger floorboard assembly and bolted them on.

I did make up several of those muffler brackets up and gave them away to several members waaay back before '09, and posted the pictures in a thread, but unfortunately that thread was never put in the technical library. Just buy a pair of MK2 boards, and unbolt the MK1 pieces, and I'm sure you can figure it out, or if you get stuck PM me and I will try to find the original pictures, but I will have to look through literally tens of thousands of pictures...

Well I thought you had floorboard and pegs on the back

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk