IGNORED

Rain

10spd

I got caught in a pretty good rain the evening on my home from a very nice ride. I noticed that my bike started to miss fire & basically running like crap. Although I did make it home. I was only 7 miles from home. Now where to start. Plugs caps wires coils? I think all of the above.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Has the TCI been relocated? Are those "Pain in the @$$" shields that are located above the front cylinders still in place? I think those shields are really important in preventing water from in around the TCI and coils, etc.

I have ridden Big Red hundreds of continuous miles in heavy rain and not a misfire. The most recent was August 20th from Paducah, Ky to Knoxville, Tn (300 miles) in almost continuous rain and some of it was torrential.

I think ignition leads are probably good place to look. Moisture will help the spark "leak" out the easiest path. Unfortunately I do not think the coils on the second gen (or first gen for that matter) are able to replace just the wires. You can replace the caps. On my FJ 1200 coils you could. Also for those FJ Dyntech I think it was made a replacement coil.

I got caught in a pretty good rain the evening on my home from a very nice ride. I noticed that my bike started to miss fire & basically running like crap. Although I did make it home. I was only 7 miles from home. Now where to start. Plugs caps wires coils? I think all of the above.

Water being thrown up from front wheel to the plug on the TCI.

Access the TCI, remove plug, dry out everything, Re install, and Seal up the Plug on the TCI, with

Sealastic Sealant. ( the rubber stuff ) available at all autoparts stores.

I sealed up All plugs on front end of my New 08 within a week after buying it. I drive in Rain All the time,

here in Seattle, Never had a problem ( similar to yours that is )

Ok so being forgetful I didn't renew my membership. now that I have I can finally answer. yes I did relocate the TCI box on top of the air filter box. I am pretty sure the wires & caps are original. I do have 4 brand new coils. I am thinking go from the coils to the plugs & iridium plugs as well.:)

I know the TCI is prone to getting water in it because of all the posts I've read about it. I do not know how the water gets into it though. I have ridden my 90 VR for eight years in the rain with no problems such as you describe. I have ridden my 89 VR for three years with only one problem that happened when I was not riding it. The 89 was parked on the side stand for the day while at work in the rain with a 30 mph wind blowing onto the right side and it would not start until after the battery had run down and I got a friend to jump it. My theory is the plug recesses got filled up but I'm not absolutely positive about that.

The bike I am riding is parked under cover while at home but out in the elements while I'm at work. I don't think water being thrown up from the front wheel is likely to cause a problem with the TCI just because it has never happened to me and I ride in rain a lot. Other than the one time, I have never had a water problem with everything pretty much stock.

If the bike was running properly before the rain then the first place I would look is at the plug wires and then any other parts open to the elements. My bike is ridden pretty much every day rain or shine and has never had any indication of corrosion in the electrical system. It's my theory that most corrosion of connectors and the TCI is due to condensation from sitting around in damp conditions.

That's just a guess of course.

I know the TCI is prone to getting water in it because of all the posts I've read about it. I do not know how the water gets into it though. I have ridden my 90 VR for eight years in the rain with no problems such as you describe. I have ridden my 89 VR for three years with only one problem that happened when I was not riding it. The 89 was parked on the side stand for the day while at work in the rain with a 30 mph wind blowing onto the right side and it would not start until after the battery had run down and I got a friend to jump it. My theory is the plug recesses got filled up but I'm not absolutely positive about that.

The bike I am riding is parked under cover while at home but out in the elements while I'm at work. I don't think water being thrown up from the front wheel is likely to cause a problem with the TCI just because it has never happened to me and I ride in rain a lot. Other than the one time, I have never had a water problem with everything pretty much stock.

If the bike was running properly before the rain then the first place I would look is at the plug wires and then any other parts open to the elements. My bike is ridden pretty much every day rain or shine and has never had any indication of corrosion in the electrical system. It's my theory that most corrosion of connectors and the TCI is due to condensation from sitting around in damp conditions.

That's just a guess of course.

It was running great before.

I would definitely listen to camos last statement about the wires.. and if you got motorcycle shop near go get the caps too..

Twist the handle and move!!!

I have all of it. Plugs, caps, wires, ign coils probably just need to clean & put on all of it.