IGNORED

1 1/2" Handle Bar spacers

I installed 1 1/2" spacers for the handle bar yesterday and wow what a difference. It brings the handle bars closer and allows your arms in a more relaxed position. I didn't even feel any upper shoulder strain after a lot of riding last night. I am 6' 3" and can't imagine being shorter and having to reach that far out on long hauls. This took about 5 minutes to install.

I installed 1 1/2" spacers for the handle bar yesterday and wow what a difference. It brings the handle bars closer and allows your arms in a more relaxed position. I didn't even feel any upper shoulder strain after a lot of riding last night. I am 6' 3" and can't imagine being shorter and having to reach that far out on long hauls. This took about 5 minutes to install.

How did you make out with the cables and hoses? Was there enough room without rerouting get them? Maybe some pictures?

Funny I'm 6'3" put about 3K on the 99 and was getting constant upper back pain. Finally added the 1 1/2" barons risers I had snagged on fleabay last month, on Wednesday. Rode 200 miles, BINGO back issues gone. With my +2 ape index I didn't think I needed an extension but what a difference. Cables are "just making it", took off the cable/ handlebar straps, will pull the fairing soon for other work and will look at moving cables to gain a bit of breathing room at (especially) full right lock. As noted by others here before; the bar clamps now hit the black iggy switch surround at the stops, MEH.

used a ratchet strap up to the garage door track to support the bars during the install.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow I noticed a problem with the bar backs, when turning the bars full right or left, they hit the cover over the ignition switch and could break the top of the switch off. I took off the cover and trimmed it so it wouldn't hit.

You may or may not have an issue with the throttle cables causing the RPM's to increase only with the handlebars at full turn in one direction only. When installing, give the throttle cables a good yank first to give them more slack. There has been one or two cases where they had to be relocated but usually the yank fixes things...

And with the Baron risers all of the cables were good? I don't really want to get into changing cables right now. SS cables eventually, just not right now.

I just ordered the Baron's risers!

Thanks for the help.

Adam

One thing else I did was to tilt the entire fairing forward. On the two nuts that secure the fairing to the frame (the ones you have to reach way back under the headlight), I placed a regular washer and a trim washer on bolt then put inner fairing back on bolt and tightened nuts. This pushed the fairing forward just a tad and still is giving it support. I then relocated the two rubber dampers back between the bars and the inner fairing to hold fairing tight. used a touch of clear glue to ensure those black rubber dampers stay on fairing! No flexing and a touch more room. Did not have to relocate cables or wiring, but brake and clutch lines are snug. No issues with throttle either. Picture I attached up a few posts shows the dampers and added space with risers installed using standard bars.

Edited by videoarizona
Spelling