IGNORED

Clutch slipping after oil change

After recently changing the oil on my 04 Venture. The clutch started slipping under hard acceleration. I probably added about a 1/2 quart too much oil, and thought it wouldn't hurt so I didn't drain it. I started thinking that since you can change the clutch on these bikes without draining the oil, because the oil level moves to the other side of the bike while kickstand is down, then there is probably a fraction of the discs that are actually under oil while running. So maybe by overfilling the reservoir, I caused too much surface area of the clutch to be under oil. Does this make any sense? I ordered a barnett clutch kit and it came in the mail yesterday. I was thinking of draining that 1/2 qt and seeing if the clutch still slipped before changing the clutch, just to clear up that idea. Also since the clutch is slipping will I need to change the oil after the clutch change? The new oil only has about 500 miles on it. Yamalube 10W40 @ $30+ per gallon.

Can't see how overfilling would cause slippage, but you will definitely get oil in your air filter and then drainage out of the overflow tube. Type of oil could cause slippage, but if you are using Yamalube that should not be the case. Looks like the Barnet spring kit should solve your problem. I did mine 2 years ago now and remember the next few things that will make things easier.

1. You can do it without draining the oil while the bike is on the sidestand.

2. Replace the gasket at the same time.

3. Use the new gasket to make a cardboard template so you can stick the bolts in it as you remove them as they are of different lengths.

4. Use a ball head hex key for the bottom bolt, that way you do not need to remove exhaust.

4. When the clutch is apart, DO NOT pull on your clutch handle, that causes parts to move out of alignment.

5. When placing the Barnet plate make sure it is properly indexed and seated.

6. Make sure things are torked properly as the values are low, so do not overtighten.

7. Enjoy you slip free ride from now on....:cool10:

Edited by Bert2006

Looks like the Barnet spring kit should solve your problem.

The Barnet pressure plate is the "Top of The Line" part for replacement of the Yamaha Diaphragm Spring but also is the most costly; it really is overkill for our use in these bikes. EBC sells an updated Diaphragm spring as well as SkyDock on this forum which comes with all the gaskets necessary.

The Barnet pressure plate is the "Top of The Line" part for replacement of the Yamaha Diaphragm Spring but also is the most costly; it really is overkill for our use in these bikes. EBC sells an updated Diaphragm spring as well as SkyDock on this forum which comes with all the gaskets necessary.

But the Barnet plate is so pretty also.....:Laugh:

But the Barnet plate is so pretty also.....:Laugh:

I completely agree it is a beautiful part sitting in the packaging, but once its INSIDE the engine who cares. I run the Barnet plate and extra heavy duty springs on my built 110 ci Road Star Warrior with a 280 rear tire, its a great product that will hold up to some serious abuse. But on a reasonably stock Venture save yourself the $100 and put in the Skydoc kit or EBC.

I completely agree it is a beautiful part sitting in the packaging, but once its INSIDE the engine who cares. I run the Barnet plate and extra heavy duty springs on my built 110 ci Road Star Warrior with a 280 rear tire, its a great product that will hold up to some serious abuse. But on a reasonably stock Venture save yourself the $100 and put in the Skydoc kit or EBC.

Yeah but knowing that such a pretty piece of engineering is sitting there inside and out of view is so rewarding :stirthepot:

Though Doc's clutch system is affordable and effective as OEM replacement (nothing wrong with it), I didn't like where the friction zone was attained on the clutch lever.. The Barnett clutch replacement left the friction zone lever placement almost stock, though requiring a stronger pull depending on the strength of the plate ordered, you quickly get used to it. I found the extra money spent on the Barnett worth the cost for a near indestructible clutch system.

As everything else, it's mostly a preference..

Thanks everyone, I didn't order a gasket so I used Mega Gray gasket sealer. Going to let it sit for 24hrs before checking oil level. I bought a 1/4" torque wrench and tightened the Barnett Clutch bolts to 70 in/lbs. The old friction plates looked pretty good with the exception of some metal rubbing on the inner most friction disc. The wire removal and installation was a breeze with two picks. Now that I remember, right after my oil change, I drove a 240 lb passenger, I weigh 210, and remeber smelling something like rubber burning, shortly after the clutch started slipping with hard accelerations. Well I hope this clutch is everything they say it is, because I like the way these Ventures pull when you twist the throttle. Thanks for all the tips and suggestions.

Though Doc's clutch system is affordable and effective as OEM replacement (nothing wrong with it), I didn't like where the friction zone was attained on the clutch lever..

As everything else, it's mostly a preference..

I run the HD springs in a Barnett on my RSW, my buddy runs a standard Barnett on his RSW... we definitely notice the difference in grip strength not not much in the way of action. I run a Double-D, 2 oem springs welded together since I had a surplus, in my Venture and didn't really notice any difference in the pickup of the clutch. I'm sure its the same argument from tires of people who notice a huge improvement, of course it is compared to worn out tires.