IGNORED

ok computer geeks got an easy question

M61A1MECH

My tired old lap top had Bluetooth connectivity on it at one time, but now it does not work, recently I have had need of Bluetooth connection and miss it a lot. Is there a good plug in adapter I can get to replace the built in Bluetooth that quit working? I am hoping for something that plugs into a USB port.

I saw some on line, but not sure how well they work.

Thanks

There is often function key that turns something on and off that gets pushed accidentally. Take a good look at them. There are USB adapters. I bought one off Amazon for a netbook I have. It didn't cost much. I also haven't used it much to test it. I bought it to hook up to a OBD2 bluetooth dongle that I bought before I had a smart phone.

+1 on double checking setting and buttons. When you go to looking for the USB blue-tooth dongles, make sure it will xmit and receive. If your needing to like connect to you cell phone for a hot spot or the like. Most of them will receive like a signal from your phone but dont work the other way.

My tired old lap top had Bluetooth connectivity on it at one time, but now it does not work, recently I have had need of Bluetooth connection and miss it a lot. Is there a good plug in adapter I can get to replace the built in Bluetooth that quit working? I am hoping for something that plugs into a USB port.

I saw some on line, but not sure how well they work.

Thanks

What version of Windows are you using?

You should be able to find a solution on Google. Search for "turn on bluetooth windows (your version)"

That's what I'm going to do to find your answer if you post your Windows version.

OK immediate problem solved, Bluetooth still does not work, but I was able to find that a driver was missing to connect my laptop to the printer via wireless router in the house. So I can now print remotely from my laptop in the kitchen, which was the biggest issue I was having.

I think the Bluetooth hardware in my laptop died, the computer does not even list it as an installed device, there is a slider switch on the front of the laptop for turning the Bluetooth on and off, it did work at one time and the light would go on and off with the switch, now sliding the switch has no effect at all. Could not find any hidden key stokes in the manual for turning the Bluetooth on from the key board. May have to open it up and see if there is a broken lead wire or something obvious.

It is an old ACER aspire 5100 laptop, probably fortunate that it is still working after all these years.

Thanks for the suggestions, I going to keep poking at it , never know the dead horse could wake up if you poke it enough.

What version of Windows are you using?

You should be able to find a solution on Google. Search for "turn on bluetooth windows (your version)"

That's what I'm going to do to find your answer if you post your Windows version.

it running windows 7, upgraded from Vista , running a 32 bit system. I went to the Acer web site and downloaded the Vista driver, there is no option for a Windows 7 driver for this unit on the Acer site. Tried to run the setup from he driver file, and it reports no Bluetooth device installed. That is one reason why I think the installed hardware has just died of old age. Just like the web cam that is installed the computer no longer sees it, but it there.

If you do find something I willing to give it try.

I ran into the same kind of thing when I updated an XP system to Win 7. Sometimes the manufacturer of some of the hardware doesn't write new drivers for some of the components because they are getting old.

It sounds like a Bluetooth adapter is your easiest option. I'm not sure which one is best. If you need it right away Office Depot can probably help and there is usually someone working there that will be knowledgeable about the various ones they have. Otherwise look on Amazon and read the reviews.

There is also the possibility that the switch has dirty contacts, and is not turning the hardware on, therefor the OS can not see the hardware. I occasionally have to take my laptop apart to clean dirty switches. I bought this laptop back in 1999.

I am cheap, I exhaust all of the free possibilities before I spend my money.

There is also the possibility that the switch has dirty contacts, and is not turning the hardware on, therefor the OS can not see the hardware. I occasionally have to take my laptop apart to clean dirty switches. I bought this laptop back in 1999.

That is a distinct possibility I had not considered, the last time I had it apart, I took a big wad of cat fur out of the cooling fins and screen, it runs a lot cooler.