IGNORED

Starting issue

I started this post a while ago but could not find it

I am having some starting issues with my 07 RSV. When I first turn on the key, the fuel pump runs up, when I push the starter button I get a loud clicking. One or two pushes and it turns over and starts fine.

If it was a Ford I would say the starting solenoid was going out. First I thought it was the batter, I took it out and took it to a battery shop, to replace it, they tested it and said it was good, made sure it had a good charge and it still did the same thing. So I bought a new battery anyway, some thing.

With the seat off it is real loud, almost like it was arcing somewhere. Not sure if there is a loose wire on the starter.

I haven't had time to look at much, with work an some medical issues I have not had the time. Nothing serious on medical issues a bad tummy bug went around town here. However I am off next week and I am hoping to get some serious riding in. So I am just looking for advice where do I start looking past the battery.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Larry

I think your looking the right way to start. Eliminate the easy stuff that dont cost you anything first. The connections at the solenoid and the starter. Solenoid is on left lower side under the passenger foot board. Also look at the main 30amp fuse there. Mine was corroded terribly and caused me a no start problem out of no where. Double check the mount bolts for the starter. I was just thinking, if its not bolted up tight, it wont get a good ground and would arc.

I think your looking the right way to start. Eliminate the easy stuff that dont cost you anything first. The connections at the solenoid and the starter. Solenoid is on left lower side under the passenger foot board. Also look at the main 30amp fuse there. Mine was corroded terribly and caused me a no start problem out of no where. Double check the mount bolts for the starter. I was just thinking, if its not bolted up tight, it wont get a good ground and would arc.

Thanks, I had a Chevy truck that also sounded like this once, when someone was turning the key, you had to hit it with a hammer to make it start, there was a dead spot or something on the starter.

Well, if the "buzzing" sound is coming from under the seat, like around the bottom of the battery box then Dion is spot on! There is another possibility, dirty contacts on the start button. It causes resistance in the primary side of the starter solenoid circuit which can also cause the solenoid to buzz and not latch on.

OK another question, when this happens does the dash stay on? There is a very remote chance your ignition switch is starting to go, but if that is the case you should loose the dash as well, and with the ignition switch failure, you won't get a buzzing, you pretty much get nothing, dead...