IGNORED

can 1st gen trans be upgraded to VMAX?

Wilzhere

The VMax transmission is almost the same as the Venture. The heads and carburetors are the big difference. Aldo the final drive (pumpkin ) has different gearing. I have read about people putting vmax heads on a Venture but I don't think the final drive will swap.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Do a craigslist search----------------for the state of WI.------------I believe that a fellow from the Venturers.org site years ago rebuilt an 89 venture------and called it a VentureSS-------it is fer sale for 3500 obo------------search Yamaha venture royale------------there is a write up of what he did to it------on the ;other' Venture site!!!!

I fixed the 2nd gear in my first Venture{83} years ago. When I did this I replaced some of the gears also. It was not aware of it at the time but after some research I had put in V-max gears. I wondered why the new gears were different {Number of teeth} compared to my old ones. When done I didn't notice much difference. If I was drag racing and had time slips from before and after the swap it might have showed up. So the answer is yes a V-Max transmission will go into a first Gen.

The VMax transmission is almost the same as the Venture. The heads and carburetors are the big difference. Aldo the final drive (pumpkin ) has different gearing. I have read about people putting vmax heads on a Venture but I don't think the final drive will swap.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

A V-Max final drive, which is about 10% lower geared, only takes a MKII driveshaft and mayby a different dust cover. I say maybe because when I put the V-Max final drive in my 83, a new plastic dust cover was with it. The V-Max final drive really goes great with the 2nd Gen trans, which also fits the 83 Venture, but you will need forks, shifting drum and all gear sets. The advantage is with the V-Max final drive, compared to a stock 1st gen set up, 1st gear is about 10% lower, 2nd 5% lower, 3rd and 4th the same and 5th is about 5% higher. This makes it quicker out of the hole with a more comfortable 5th gear for interstate riding. The best of all worlds. The only difference is wider spacing between gears, but it is not enough to drop out of the torque range when cranking it on.

I have a complete 2nd Gen transmission set up as a spare that I may be interesting in letting go if interested.

Randy