I am currently re-installing a stock exhaust system on a 1984 Venture. When I install the rear header pipes into the head 'stubs' and secure them with the clamps, the header pipes still move freely back and forth. This seems crazy to me, and I am reluctant to continue assembling of the rest of the exhaust system until I can confirm this is OK or figure out what I am doing wrong. Can someone set me straight?

Confused in Michigan.....John:confused24:

I am currently re-installing a stock exhaust system on a 1984 Venture. When I install the rear header pipes into the head 'stubs' and secure them with the clamps, the header pipes still move freely back and forth. This seems crazy to me, and I am reluctant to continue assembling of the rest of the exhaust system until I can confirm this is OK or figure out what I am doing wrong. Can someone set me straight?

Confused in Michigan.....John:confused24:

Sounds like you're missing the copper exhaust gaskets that fit between the muffler and the collector. Kinda pricey at around 15-17 bucks per. If that's your problem and you can wait, the best price would be from that Yamaha dealer in Seattle, but if your in a hurry bite the bullet and visit your local dealer.... I've found an aftermarket gasket that works fairly well from a local independant. A little cheaper. Instead of copper it's what looks like a leaden mixture. Anyway it's lasted a couple of years so far.

Thanx all for the info. I do have the copper beveled gaskets. They look somewhat eroded (don't know what new ones look like). I'll either get a pair of new ones or take a trip to a local shop and find something else that might work. At any rate, you all have left me confident that I have not misplaced something over the winter.

I have learned a lesson in this....do not disassemble a bike in the fall and then go out and get a couple of lab puppies. You will find that your garage time is severly restricted for the next several months.

Thanx again, John:cool10:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the exhaust system is fully installed again, and it sounds great. I never did find any smoking gun regarding the annoying exhaust sounds. As I noted earlier, the copper beveled gaskets looked somewhat eroded. The local bike shop did not carry the beveled gaskets, but they had some copper 'o-rings' that are a Honda part. The copper o-ring has a hollow interior and is 'crushed' when the clamp is tightened. We'll see how long it lasts, but I'm optimistic.

Thanx again all for the assists.....Regards, John:bighug:

I was looking at my '84's rear exhaust header this weekend. Seems that at just under 50k miles, I have an exhaust leak that suddenly appeared, late last year, on or in the vicinity of the aft, port side exhaust header.

First clue was the noise, she used to be nice & quiet but now is noisey from the rear lhs cyl's exhaust port area. If I put my hand in below the pipe, I can feel the hot gasses escaping there but I cannot see where they are coming from even if I slide a mirror in for a better look.

I managed to tighten the wrap around clamp at the join just behind the exhaust port but that made no difference as far as I could tell to the noise or amount of escaping exhaust.

I got my 8mm allen wrench on the outboard exhaust port nut but couldn't see any way to get a tool on the inboard nut. I looked for a way to use a Ujoint adaptor or perhaps a long extension down to a rachet wrench in the rear wheel well but just couldn't see any convenient way to put the tighteners to the inboard exhaust port nut. Didn't even consider the starboard side aft exhaust.

How is it done? How the heck do you bring tools to bear on the rear exhaust nuts ?

BTW, I have a spare rear header (that I'd love to install if I could figure out how). I notice that on the spare, in the region where my leak appears to be coming from, there are some welds in the inside of the bend in the pipe. I suspect that one of the welds might have blown out on the header on the bike. Is this a known phenomenon with these old gals ?

Advice welcome.

Thanks and best regards,

Brian H.

Uxbridge Ont

First clue was the noise, she used to be nice & quiet but now is noisey from the rear lhs cyl's exhaust port area. If I put my hand in below the pipe, I can feel the hot gasses escaping there but I cannot see where they are coming from even if I slide a mirror in for a better look.

I managed to tighten the wrap around clamp at the join just behind the exhaust port but that made no difference as far as I could tell to the noise or amount of escaping exhaust.

I got my 8mm allen wrench on the outboard exhaust port nut but couldn't see any way to get a tool on the inboard nut. I looked for a way to use a Ujoint adaptor or perhaps a long extension down to a rachet wrench in the rear wheel well but just couldn't see any convenient way to put the tighteners to the inboard exhaust port nut. Didn't even consider the starboard side aft exhaust.

How is it done? How the heck do you bring tools to bear on the rear exhaust nuts ?

BTW, I have a spare rear header (that I'd love to install if I could figure out how). I notice that on the spare, in the region where my leak appears to be coming from, there are some welds in the inside of the bend in the pipe. I suspect that one of the welds might have blown out on the header on the bike. Is this a known phenomenon with these old gals ?

Advice welcome.

See this link below for pulling the collector out of the way. Once the rear down tubes are loose, you can get at the inner retaining nuts, for the exhaust port adapters. Why not change those head to adapter gaskets while at it, they are cheap & a PITA to get at. Check your other gaskets too. After all, how many times do you want to tear it apart, to seal leaks.

To remove the rear down tubes competely, you can move the rear master cylinder & reserviour, or remove the rear valve cover to get the needed clearance.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1002