IGNORED

Final Drive Question

Marcarl

Hey Marcarl,

I talked to the regional service manager with yamaha and the only thing yamaha says can be done is to grease the splines when you change your tire. He said over time the spinning of the splines throws the grease off them.

I changed my tire last spring to an Avon, I'd say at this point it's only 1\2 used. Took my wheel off for maintainance and balance and the splines are totally dry with all the grease nicely spread around on the plastic cover. Now if I was to wait to do this at the next tire change it would be running dry for a long time, question is at this point how long has it been dry already.

So my question then would be: has anyone ever taken the rear wheel of and found actual grease on the splines? and if so what did you use and how slow do you drive or do you normally just walk beside it? And yes my rubber is in place.

Has anyone figured out yet how to keep grease on the final drive gear case splines. Took my rear wheel off last week and found them to be totally dry again. What do I need to use to keep grease on these things. Suggestions PLEASE.
go to autozone and get a plastic bottle of disc brake caliper lube.it is a high temp ultra slick and sticky lube containing all the best stuff such as molydenum disulfide ,ptf, and grafite.best you can get for splines.won't sling off comes with a brush and will last you a lifetime.runs about $10.00 a bottle.way cheaper than the honda stuff.made to lube the disc brake caliper pins on cars ,which is a very high temp application that is exposed to all the elements.:)

I changed my tire last spring to an Avon, I'd say at this point it's only 1\2 used. Took my wheel off for maintainance and balance and the splines are totally dry with all the grease nicely spread around on the plastic cover. Now if I was to wait to do this at the next tire change it would be running dry for a long time, question is at this point how long has it been dry already.

So my question then would be: has anyone ever taken the rear wheel of and found actual grease on the splines? and if so what did you use and how slow do you drive or do you normally just walk beside it? And yes my rubber is in place.

It's ever so important to keep that "rubber" in place!

:whistling:

Hey Marcarl,

I just installed a V-Max final drive,When I went to remove the rear tire and final drive assembly I still had plenty of grease left on the splines,The grease has MOLY,so as long your grease has MOLY you will be covered.. The unit had 7,000 mi before I removed it.

If you get it on your hands good luck taking it off its not like regular grease. :080402gudl_prv:

Buddy