IGNORED

Vertigo

Motorcycle Mike

I've had brief episodes of vertigo in the past but a few weeks ago I started having frequent and prolonged episodes.

I went to the doctor and he gave me some exercises and recommended I take Meclizine. I bought the Meclizine and took the recommended dosage and it seemed to help some. I then read the precautions. :bang head: It seems one suffering from glaucoma shouldn't take this drug. :no-no-no:

Well, I'd rather be dizzy than blind so I won't be taking any more of those.

Does anybody else here have vertigo? What works for you?

Mike,

I do not suffer from it, but a couple of guys where I used to work did from time to time and it was something to do with crystals developing in the fluid in their inner ear, they had to go on meds to dissolve the crystals. Maybe totally different from your condition, I do not know, I am not a doctor, but it could be something they did not consider in their diagnosis.

Thanks Steve.

The doc explained the crystals to me. They are always there. It's when they break loose from where they belong and get into the tubes that causes the problem.

I said to the doc. So, your telling me I've got rocks in my head and he says "you caught that huh" LOL

Mine came from the BP meds I was taking, so doc switched me over to another med and told me to take it at night so I'm sleeping when the dizzies hit.

I stopped taking the cholesterol med as it added to the problem and didn't help me.

"Come on Doc, my family is French/Italian. We all have high cholesterol! None have died from heart disease." Mediterranean diet...yea right.:confused07:

She relented and let me drop the med.

Suggest you have your blood sugar levels checked and your BP checked...as well as any recent changes in meds.

Mine came from the BP meds I was taking, so doc switched me over to another med and told me to take it at night so I'm sleeping when the dizzies hit.

suggest you have your blood sugar levels checked and your BP checked...as well as any recent changes in meds.

Blood sugar is good. BP is under controll. Been on the same meds for years. Minor events started before I was on meds. Thanks for the suggestions.

Jack Daniels...... Er no wait a minute that's what caused mine.:Avatars_Gee_George: Sorry Mike couldn't help that one. :backinmyday: My mother had trouble with that years ago and it ended up being inner ear trouble. Had those checked??

Jack has caused (dizziness) in the past. I now get the same feelings for free and dont have to worry about breathalyzers. Doc confirmed it's an issue with the inner ear.

I found that if I take a lot of naps that I am OK if I don't get up too quick. :hihi:

Randy

Getting out of bed can be a real test. I have fallen back in bed a number of times. Missed it a few.:starz:

So when we go to the Doc why do we fill out all this paperwork and list all the meds we are on. Some its multiple, lucky for me I can list them in a couple lines. But anyways, we list all this crap and then the stuff they give us one of the first cautions is dont take if..... Really Doc what the heck?????

Hope it straightens out for you. I have been lucky my bought have so far all been short term. Sinus, I did have a bought when I was in USAF that was 2 weeks or something. Man that was bad.

If you google vertigo you'll find some physical maneuvers to reposition the crystals. The epley is one often used but it was the half somersault that very quickly cured my wife. No drugs needed. Not sure it will work for you but it's worth 15 minutes of your time to find out. Good luck.

What Kroc said.

My wife had crystals and all they had her do is a few positions

I think it was laying on her back with her head twisted as far as possible on way then the other...but I'm not sure...it was a while ago.

but it fixed her vertigo immediately!

I have a ruptured ear drum. and get very dizzy when I get up. I have to set there with my eyes closed for a little while and it goes away. If I stand up I lay down very quick and sometimes that hurts. Nothing meds can do for it. Doc says that he can operate but no guarantee that it will help. So I will just have to take it easy till I can stand without getting dizzy.

If you google vertigo you'll find some physical maneuvers to reposition the crystals. The epley is one often used but it was the half somersault that very quickly cured my wife. No drugs needed. Not sure it will work for you but it's worth 15 minutes of your time to find out. Good luck.

Geesh. my lady reminded me that I went through the Epley exercise as well.....took three days she said before I could walk around without holding on to the wall.

How could I forget that!

I have gone through a couple of bouts of this the last couple of years. The doctor has put me on "Teva-Betahistine" which has taken away 99.9% of the symptoms. If I don't drink enough water I can get a flair up which passes with in a day or two.

I've had bouts of vertigo a few times. Usually when I get up and bounce off the walls for a couple of days before it goes away. I attributed it to low BP and the BP pills, but after reading all the posts about doing yoga and standing on my head I'm willing to give it a try. What has concerned me was getting an episode while riding..... :biker::yikes: