IGNORED

Weird clutch setup on 1985 Venture. External pusher plate. OEM or modified?

I was about to throw some Barnett springs in my newly purchased Venture but when I pulled the cover I saw something quite odd.

there is an external pusher plate on top of the oem clutch basket. It sort of looks like its aftermarket.

what is this? Should I stick with this and forgo the barnett springs?

image.jpg

So jfman, looks like previous owner slapped a newer style clutch in your '85. Good or bad? You'll get differing opinions on that. How it works depends on the condition of the discs and the steel spring band. The discs you can easily replace with a Barnett kit.

So jfman, looks like previous owner slapped a newer style clutch in your '85. Good or bad? You'll get differing opinions on that. How it works depends on the condition of the discs and the steel spring band. The discs you can easily replace with a Barnett kit.

Well mystery solved....

as I was reinstalling the clutch cover a detail caught my eye.

The cover says "1300" on it.

So I guess somewhere along the road, my motor has been swapped for a 1300 motor.

Now I understand why the bike came with so many spares :)

I got with it spare water pump, spare fuel pump, spacer coils, spare rr, spare stator etc...

Edited by jfman

Just check the serial number on the motor. That will tell you all there is to know. :) If it is indeed a 1300, you got lucky. You don't have to worry about 2nd gear.

Definitely check serial number and date of manufacture. In order to install the new style clutch, someone would have to have installed the 1300 cover - a 1200 won't fit the larger clutch. So, you still may have an 85 bike.

When you reinstall that clutch, make sure you line the disk up correctly as from looking at the picture the previous owner didnt have it correct. Make sure the notches in the disk match up with the basket. The outer disk is in the correct spot the others arent.

Rick F.

When you reinstall that clutch, make sure you line the disk up correctly as from looking at the picture the previous owner didnt have it correct. Make sure the notches in the disk match up with the basket. The outer disk is in the correct spot the others arent.

Rick F.

Good eye cimmer!