IGNORED

PayPal Issue

Freebird

Yesterday morning I tried logging into my PayPal account and was unable to do so. My name and password was fine but I use the security key also and it kept telling me that the number I was entering was incorrect. When I tried "use another way" which brings up my security questions, it said unable to log you in, please call customer support.

So I called customer support and after she had me change my password and etc., it would still not work. She then said that she discovered that they are having an issue with the security keys and were working to correct the issue. She asked me to wait a couple hours and try again.

This morning I was still unable to access my account so I called again. This time I was told that yes, they are discontinuing the old type security keys and that they would no longer work. I was told that the only way I would be able to access my account was to allow them to disable the security key on my account and did I want them to do that. Well....duh....if it's not going to work then of COURSE I want it disabled. So she did that and I was finally able to access my account.

They have a new system where you do not have a physical key but they send you a code via text message that you have to enter to access your account. If you want it. It is an optional second layer of protection as the old key was. I went ahead and activated it but apparently things are quiet correct with it yet because though it DOES text me a code, it allows me to login to my account with just my name and password and never asks me to enter the code.

Here's the thing though. Why would they just let the old security keys stop working without sending out any kind of notification to the users? I never got an email, there is nothing posted on their website, there is nothing in the community forum. You know nothing until you finally call and they tell you. Then you are on hold because they say that "call volume is high". Imagine that. I wonder why call volume would be high. You can disable your security key in your account settings. I wonder how much lower call volume would have been if they had sent out a message to their customers instructing them to go to their account settings and disable the old security keys before they turned them off.

Whatever happened to common sense. Anybody seen it lately?

1. I hate shopping on line, I am not computer or security savvy. Some idiot made a program that checks passwords and if you have a password of 12345678 on most bank accounts they kick you off.....

Also just wondering what are they doing with the physical security keys that you had. Since they removed them, might be a good wall hanger........ :nanner:

I've used PayPal for years and have found it very convenient in certain on-line shopping cases however they do have glitches with their system from time to time and customer service help is problematic at best. Recently tried to delete an obsolete pay from account and took forever with at least three calls for help. [emoji848]

I think I have found your problem, you expect "service" in this new tech heavy economy there is no such thing, I dont even expect it anymore and am always pleasently surprised when I actually recv. it. I think the pendulum is starting to swing the other way as it seems more businesses are starting to realize the value of "service with a smile"

:2cents: Craig

So just for the 'H' of it, I went and logged into Paypal using my current ID and password. It was business as usual..... Now I do have a biz account that I've been using since you could go to Paypal by using X.com, and more years ago than I want to admit. Back when Paypal was a separate entity, before eBay bought them, and then spun them off again. So that may have something to do with it???

So just for the 'H' of it, I went and logged into Paypal using my current ID and password. It was business as usual..... Now I do have a biz account that I've been using since you could go to Paypal by using X.com, and more years ago than I want to admit. Back when Paypal was a separate entity, before eBay bought them, and then spun them off again. So that may have something to do with it???

But do you use the security key? That is what is causing issues. It is a key that gives you another level of protection. It was on my keychain. When I sign in with my name and password, I just a button and it gives me a code that I have to enter before I can log in. That is what they have discontinued and didn't tell anybody. It prevents your account from getting hacked if somebody were to get your password. I have used it for years. It would not have been a problem if they had simply sent out a notification that they were discontinuing it. You have the option to deactivate it once you are logged in. They way they did it though, you couldn't deactivate it because it has to work before you CAN log in. No problem now that I've called them and had THEM deactivate it on my account. The new system, if you want to use it, is that they automatically send you a text with the code to enter instead of using the digital device.

No, I've never used the security key. I've just never really felt the need. I have a hard enough time remembering all the different passwords I've generated over the years.... :backinmyday: I don't keep them in a file, but write them down on leftover note pad cardboard backing...both sides.. :-) I just started my third board.... :whistling: That's my security method, and so far ..knock on wood... it's worked... :happy34:

:scared:,, @VanRiver ,, I read this post by the Boss - went and checked my Paypal account to double check stuff.. All looked good with our recent transaction for the AZZI-MAX parts and pieces,, BUT,, :scared:- nothing posted about our "Ice Cream" fund brother!!! I am :fingers-crossed-emo and praying that one of us weren't hacked or scammed somehow :95:.. Riv,, it might not be a bad idea for you to double check on your end to see if something bad is going on!

Sic em Riv!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup::stickpoke::stickpoke::stickpoke::stickpoke::essen_018::big-grin-emoticon:

Thanks Puc for the heads up!!! I just checked and there was an error with my transaction....looks like I put in an incorrect email for you. I got it resolved and you should now see the Ice-cream money waiting for ya! :essen_024:

So the good news is that there was no security breach! I'm a computer and cyber security guy by trade, so having my Paypal account hacked would cause some major egg on my face in my industry!

Thanks @Freebird for bringing this to peoples awareness. I STRONGLY suggest that everyone use 2 level authentication for ALL websites and accounts that support it. 2 level authentication just means that you still have your old trusty password you need to enter, but then you are sent an immediate one time use code to your cell phone to validate your identity as well. This means that even if a Hacker gets their hands on your password they still will not be able to access your account unless they had your cell phone as well.

You would be amazed how easy it is to find huge lists of accounts and passwords being sold on the internet by hackers. That is why 2 level authentication is a must in my opinion! Be careful to there in Cyberland!!

:scared:,, @VanRiver ,, I read this post by the Boss - went and checked my Paypal account to double check stuff.. All looked good with our recent transaction for the AZZI-MAX parts and pieces,, BUT,, :scared:- nothing posted about our "Ice Cream" fund brother!!! I am :fingers-crossed-emo and praying that one of us weren't hacked or scammed somehow :95:.. Riv,, it might not be a bad idea for you to double check on your end to see if something bad is going on!

Sic em Riv!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup::stickpoke::stickpoke::stickpoke::stickpoke::essen_018::big-grin-emoticon:

Thanks Puc for the heads up!!! I just checked and there was an error with my transaction....looks like I put in an incorrect email for you. I got it resolved and you should now see the Ice-cream money waiting for ya! :essen_024:

So the good news is that there was no security breach! I'm a computer and cyber security guy by trade, so having my Paypal account hacked would cause some major egg on my face in my industry!

Thanks @Freebird for bringing this to peoples awareness. I STRONGLY suggest that everyone use 2 level authentication for ALL websites and accounts that support it. 2 level authentication just means that you still have your old trusty password you need to enter, but then you are sent an immediate one time use code to your cell phone to validate your identity as well. This means that even if a Hacker gets their hands on your password they still will not be able to access your account unless they had your cell phone as well.

You would be amazed how easy it is to find huge lists of accounts and passwords being sold on the internet by hackers. That is why 2 level authentication is a must in my opinion! Be careful to there in Cyberland!!

You are more than welcome Riv!!

SOOOOOOOOOOOO glad to hear that's all it was!!:thumbsup:

When I read this thread I was like,, ahhhh ohh,, better check.. At first glance it all looked fine but then I realized the Vanriver/Puc ice cream fund may have been hacked and I was INSTANTLY like :stickpoke::stickpoke::stickpoke::stickpoke: = hack our motorcycle funds,, that's one thing but hack our :essen_018: fund = NOW THATS SERIOUS :guitarist 2::big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon:!!!

Just checked back at Paypal and yeppers = ICE CREAM FUNDS NOW SHOWING:essen_018::essen_018::essen_018::essen_018::essen_018::essen_018: .... Tip just asked what all the cyber excitement was all about. I inadvertently let the cat out of the bag about our "Ice Cream" fund discussion, after shaking her head and making a comment about "you guys and your marble trading",,, she suddenly got a great big :big-grin-emoticon: on her face and mumbled something about seeing a Big ol Banana Split in her immediate future :missingtooth:

So does anybody know how to deactivate the security key? I had to deal with their foreign service a while back when I switched banks. They kept asking security questions that made absolutely no sense. Very frustrated and I think I ended up just adding the new bank and leaving the old one because I couldn't get it deleted.

So does anybody know how to deactivate the security key? I had to deal with their foreign service a while back when I switched banks. They kept asking security questions that made absolutely no sense. Very frustrated and I think I ended up just adding the new bank and leaving the old one because I couldn't get it deleted.

Login to PayPal. Click on the little gear icon beside "log out" at the upper right. That is "settings". Then click on "Security". That is where you will be able to deactivate the key and also activate the new text message system if you want to.