IGNORED

What did you do to your venture today?

gggGary

Right on! I've checked the classifieds and I'm already planning on the wire upgrade.. That's a clean job you did. I still can't figure the pic thing out

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=108311

Beautiful bike and I am sure the boss can straighten it to where its up right. Baby blue, there is a member here refer to buttler but mod or something like that he does the seats for our bikes, That is a nice bike so @cowpuc which 83's were faster the red or the blue ones?

Beautiful bike and I am sure the boss can straighten it to where its up right. Baby blue, there is a member here refer to buttler but mod or something like that he does the seats for our bikes, That is a nice bike so @cowpuc which 83's were faster the red or the blue ones?

Thanks. I'll track him down. The seat is still comfortable even dried out and torn. I've been lurking in the tech area to learn about the carbs. She's pretty sluggish on acceleration but I'll get her figured out.

I straightened the picture for you but I have another question. You stated that it is an '83 Venture? The color would actually indicate that it's an '84. Does the title show it as an '83? It is possible that the plastic has been changed but I doubt it.

One more thing that will be helpful when you ask questions. You can add the year, model and etc. to your posts. Where your's says "supporting member" twice under your username, you can replace one of those with the bike's year and model. Then when you post a question or comment, other members will know what bike you are talking about. Here is how to do it.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?90684-Help-us-to-Help-you-with-your-bike-info-in-your-header-updated-to-new-forum

No problem and changing it is certainly not a requirement, just makes it easier to know what you are asking. :) Glad you have joined us.

HEY....good job. I see that you got it changed even before I finished typing my reply. You are more computer literate than you though.

Nice bike and welcome to the funny farm.:thumbsup:

The sluggishness might just be how you are driving it, these engines like to rev, they don't even start to make any horse power until 4,000 rpm and above. Do not be afraid of that red line, this is the same bottom end as the V-max that red lines at ~10K. When cruising I never use 5th gear below 60 MPH. I like to cruise at just under 4K, the bike likes it to.

But everyone knows that red is the fastest color..................:stirthepot:

Nice bike and welcome to the funny farm.:thumbsup:

The sluggishness might just be how you are driving it, these engines like to rev, they don't even start to make any horse power until 4,000 rpm and above. Do not be afraid of that red line, this is the same bottom end as the V-max that red lines at ~10K. When cruising I never use 5th gear below 60 MPH. I like to cruise at just under 4K, the bike likes it to.

But everyone knows that red is the fastest color..................:stirthepot:

What he said!! My 86 was a screamer. Just keep the rev's up. Only full fairing bike i ever had that could pull the front wheel up on a punch!!

One of the things I usually check on my 1st Gens when I notice that sluggish feelings is a quick spit check on the headers to make sure she's hitting on four.. These scoots will run remarkably well on 3.. A fouled plug is not uncommon if one is in the habit of over choking - these "D" plugs dont seem to have enough surface area to withstand a lot of blackening before resistance takes over and no sparky.. Next is to pull the slide covers on the carbs and check my diaphrams and slide movement.. Look carefully along the area where the diaphram meets the carb body and also any folds or rub spots on the diaphrams. Wear spots and small cracks can easily be repaired using YamaBond #5 (light smear),, have tried many many different on road repair methods thru the years and found #5 to be the best (carry a tube in your bikes Maintenance Dept).. have ran thousands of miles on repaired diaphrams - its a flaw in my character = make er run kind of guy..

Dont forget to sync those carbs when done with any of the above = out of sync carbs will also cause sluggishness..

Also, may sound far fetched but it not a bad idea to do a quick brake check to make sure you dont have brake drag causing sluggishness.. Take a rubber mallet,smack the side of the calipers to drive the pistons in enough that you can feel looseness in the calipers - do all three. Find a spot you can run a ways without using the brakes to see if it feels any better. May discover a brake problem is causing sluggishness.. Also, not a bad idea to free up those calipers once in a while anyway - tends to keep things moving in there and only take a second.. Do it in front of a group of bikers, looks cool walking around beating on your scoot with a hammer :missingtooth::big-grin-emoticon:

Short story about that = was at a Yamaha shop out in Utah - had to buy and swap out a rear tire in their parking lot so Tip n I would have a flat up in the mountains... Few minutes and I had the rear tire off, hardest part was finding something to back off the caliper with (forgot my rubber mallet).. Grabbed a pallet from the pallet pile behind there in the parking lot. Had the pallet in my hands and was getting ready to smack the rear caliper with the corner of the pallet - look up just in time to see the service manager and a mechanic standing in the doorway of the shop with a :yikes::yikes: on each of their faces... :hihi: at em and said = works for me!!! Spooned on the tire, walked over and replaced the pallet - gave em :happy34: as we rode off toward California to play with our kids!!:guitarist 2:

Thanks for all the advise gentlemen. I took the bike out today and kept the rpms up. Tho the tach is inop. I'm not used to doing that. It was sputtering and lurching. Then suddenly it back fired and spit whatever it was that was holding it back out and took off. The tach started working and it was really a pleasant ride. Then......rain...and a lot of it. I had to ride 20 miles back home in a down pour. It was GREAT. I will follow your advice tho and check it all out. Thanks again for helping me out.

Thanks for all the advise gentlemen. I took the bike out today and kept the rpms up. Tho the tach is inop. I'm not used to doing that. It was sputtering and lurching. Then suddenly it back fired and spit whatever it was that was holding it back out and took off. The tach started working and it was really a pleasant ride. Then......rain...and a lot of it. I had to ride 20 miles back home in a down pour. It was GREAT. I will follow your advice tho and check it all out. Thanks again for helping me out.

That my friend sounds like you gave your TCI BOX a swift kick in the rear!!! I would pull it out and clean up the connections.

Living life one curve after the other. Vroom scooting, thru the countryside.

Unless you have my tach, mine is lazy... It hates cold and sticks.. Below 45°F.. Above 50°F its a happy tachy. But my bike runs good just the tach is truly goofy. Gonna switch that out tonight from the dash I just got, thinking bout renaming venture cruise to venture boost indicater....

Living life one curve after the other. Vroom scooting, thru the countryside.

• 2 months later...

I bought a used rear link set for my 99, did some fix'n, then installed the now 6mm shorter links. To shorten the links I migged the existing holes shut, built up the sides of the bolt area, ground it back to the right shape and drilled new holes. Pulled the pins and greased while I had things apart This bike is low miles 16K on a 99, everything looked good, made my own lift adapter, it works good, a small jack at the back let me move the rear just enough to make link remove install easy peasy. Before and after measurements say the 6mm link shorten raised the rear of the mufflers by 20mm. or 3/4".

Got on and rode 110 miles, I like it! Turn in is effortless, holds a line through the corner, but is easy to pick a new line, tighten or straighten. Saw 90MPH, ride is stable, turning, changing the line is easier but not weird or darty. Will have to get in a day of strong cross winds see how it is in nasty conditions.

I got in a 14mm front MC today, so the last piece of my front end work is up next. Already have FJR13 calipers, stainless steel lines new pads, fresh fork oil, new taper steering bearings, done. It's rolling on fresh 130/80 front, stock size rear Shinko HD tires.

My cruise is out of action, I'm getting two flashes of the green yellow lights, hope I just missed a connection when the fairing was off.

First long ride with the new Bakup backrest. The pad was as low as it would go but still too high up my back and I'm 6'3" with a pad on the stock seat. So the hack saw and drill press got it lowered a strong inch. We'll see if that's enough.

DSCN7264 (1).jpg

DSCN7262 (1).jpg

DSCN7259 (1).jpg

Edited by gggGary

Man these bikes are heavy. Fell over on my brothers steep driveway. Landed on the crash bars so it did nothing more than scuff the chrome. Thats what I thought until I noticed oil above my carbs.

While I set about cleaning up that mess I decided to put new spark plugs in. Glad I did. Front right pot had the rusty plug you will find in the pics. I also polished my forks, foot boards and levers. Before and after pic follows.

Also found some mismatched bolts from the previous owner so I replaced them with stainless buttonheads.97d9ddf0f7fdbde08d509a1d4fbbd498.jpge4f08d7bf70eef4f515f2fbfa6d952e2.jpg669b26f94e2374bfe38389cff64c6d79.jpga2c07d18bd50b435d80051fca34a515e.jpg4d747deecbaf9adb6cb35246d24038ce.jpg8cc5203ad2451a1c5d2ff6b394abb738.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The oily carbs are pretty characteristic of overfilling the oil when you change it. With the bike level and straight up, AND cold (not been running for around a half day minimum) the oil should be between 1/3 and 2/3 on the site glass. Any more and the oil just gets blown out the engine as blowby and up in the carb area...

Wow,

Looks like it is jet ski weather, not riding weather. Stay safe and I hope it stops soon. :depressed:

Ah Neosho MO

We are supposed to get up to 6 inches of rain.. The parking lot where gf works looks like white water rapids..

"Never ride faster then your guardian angel can fly."[/quote