IGNORED

What did you do to your venture today?

gggGary

Thanks for the detailed write up, I'm going to be doing this in the next day or two if the temps in the garage get below 95. Do you know what the 4 - 6mm allen screws are supposed to be torqued down to? I have not gone digging for the answer to that yet.

The service manual says 28NM, which is ~ 20lb-ft. Tighten the tops first, then adjust the bar angle with the bottoms snug, then torque the bottoms. You'll understand why when you see the riser caps; the top and bottom mating surfaces are not the same depth (thickness). The thicker part goes to the top, and makes contact with the riser extension. The bottom doesn't make contact once tight. This is mentioned in the instructions supplied with the riser extensions.

Well, it wasn't a Venture but I've done a couple of things to the Ultra Classic.

Added a KuryAkyn trunk relocator/slider. Allows me to slide the trunk as much as 4" back or anywhere in between.

IMG_0007.jpeg

Added a luggage rack with LED tail/brake light.

IMG_0008.jpeg

Added Vance and Hines Moster Rounds. The guy I bought it from had already changed the mufflers. He said that they were Vance and Hines but I couldn't find any markings on them and they were a little loud for my preference. I found a used set of Monster Rounds here locally and got a great deal on them. Had them on the Road Glide and really liked them so pulled the trigger.

IMG_0009.jpeg

Have a wider windshield on the way and also KuryAkyn rider and passenger drink holders. That should finish me up.

Took the ‘ol faithful 83 to the town grocery outlet today, about a 10-15 mile ride round trip. Had to get pure cinnamon cause the darned ants got into the pet food. The ants have been terrible this year and no matter what we do they still keep coming back. Neighbors have said that even with an exterminator coming out the ants still show up. We’re doing everything we can to stop them from sprays, traps etc. and I’ve found that Lysol spray actually kills them on spot so it’ll clean and kill at the same time. Well come to think of it, maybe the ants aren’t so bad after all as having them led to a reason to go for a little ride today. Guess that’s what life’s all about enjoying the little stuff. Have a great Sunday y’all!

GOT IT RUNNING!!

I had been having a NO SPARK issue and went through many posts and T/S different things...But my solution was never an issue with anyone else, so I thought I'd share.....

My First issue, and problem was my ignition switch. I had continuity between the Red and the Brown/Blue wires, but not between the Blue/Black and the Blue/Yellow wires. I called the sw bad. I r/r the sw, it really didn't look too bad, not pitted or anything, just cleaned it up, made sure to install the copper points in the correct position, because if it's 180 degrees wrong, it still won't have continuity when reassembled. Reinstalled the sw only to find that now I had continuity where i needed it....Still NO SPARK!

After talking to Rod, on the site (RBIG1), he suggested to look at the spark plug wires. I removed the boot, unscrewed the tip of the wire, and out came three parts. The part I unscrewed that makes contact with the spark plug (corroded), a spring (corroded) and a small cylinder thing (don't have a name for it, but Rod knows it...). I cleaned the screw part and spring with a copper brush. Reassembled in the correct order...it makes a difference for sure...first the spring then the cylinder thing, the the screw that comes in contact with the spark plug.

Repeated this to all 4 wires. The back two cylinders were the worse, the front 2 not so bad....Of course after the first spark plug wire got spark....I did the others, and when i was done....BAM! Spark and start!!!

The ol' prime 87 hasn't been too healthy past couple of weeks. Progressive power loss 2 up to the point were it's undriveable. It's not been a good year for the 87' twins. (seems they both had a touch of the virus)

Just about ready to put them up on the block. Spending far too many days over the years keeping them healthy. Well, the passion continues for now.

So, once over the carbs and found a loose clamp on #1 rubber boot joint. The boot may have slipped off the far side, hard to get a visual in there. Reseated boot and clamp, replaced 4 plugs and fuel filter. (it was time)

Full day tour 2 up yesterday and ran like a champ ... :cool::cool:

Added Vance and Hines Moster Rounds. The guy I bought it from had already changed the mufflers. He said that they were Vance and Hines but I couldn't find any markings on them and they were a little loud for my preference. I found a used set of Monster Rounds here locally and got a great deal on them. Had them on the Road Glide and really liked them so pulled the trigger.

Too bad I didn't know you wanted them. Since my accident and because I can't ride for a little while still, I have been cleaning out my shop and gave a pair of these away. You could have had them for shipping cost.

I posted stock RSV slipons here, but didn't even cross my mind to post the Rounds.

As long as you got a good deal on the ones you bought , that's what counts.

No problem. That would have saved me some bucks but I got these at a decent price, more than half off new and they look new. Now that I have them on though, I think that they may have removed some of the packing. I've got to pull the packing and take a look. Easy to repack if that is the case.

The ol' prime 87 hasn't been too healthy past couple of weeks. Progressive power loss 2 up to the point were it's undriveable. It's not been a good year for the 87' twins. (seems they both had a touch of the virus)

Just about ready to put them up on the block. Spending far too many days over the years keeping them healthy. Well, the passion continues for now.

So, once over the carbs and found a loose clamp on #1 rubber boot joint. The boot may have slipped off the far side, hard to get a visual in there. Reseated boot and clamp, replaced 4 plugs and fuel filter. (it was time)

Full day tour 2 up yesterday and ran like a champ ... :cool::cool:

I had that issue on a '99. I think I had overtightened the clamp and it caused the boot to slip off. Ran like crap until I figured it out.

I had that issue on a '99. I think I had overtightened the clamp and it caused the boot to slip off. Ran like crap until I figured it out.

Good point...

The clamp connector ends were almost if not totally touching. I replaced the boot with a spare from another parts bike as the over tightened clamp disfigured the bottom of the rubber.

All 4 clamps and boots seated squarely today.

:happy34:

It took me a few hours in between the 100F (here in humid Tennessee) heat to install new spark plugs. I chose the NGK Iridum @ autozone. They had em in stock and thought I dont want to take off my tank and part of the front end off again for awhile. stock number 7803. Pricy at $9.99 each but I think worth all the money. She purrrrrrrrs perfectly now.

Mine you I had no idea what and how to do this adventurous adventure to my Venture. Had to throw that in. I found on the Articles page when I did a search on google, had pictures and directions from this site. Thank you for adding the info. I really appreciate it.

While my scooter was opened up as they say I got some polish and cleaned and polished all parts that could not be seen without the seat and tank on. Its almost therapy guys.

In this crazy pandemic time it was fun to work on Red once again. I change the Oil with a full synthetic Valvoline 10w-40. I change the oil once a year whether I ride her or not.

Pricy at $9.99 a quart. But our bikes deserve the best.

Of coarse it rained at the second I had everything put back together...

God is so funny sometimes.

dalesocha my real name

• 2 weeks later...

I put a set of Shinko 777 HD's on yesterday along with a HID headlight. Went for a ride and stopped at a friends house and it died. Dead Battery, so we put it on charge and got it running to get me home. Started to check things out today and found a bad stator and regulator. OH well no riding for me for a while.

I put a set of Shinko 777 HD's on yesterday along with a HID headlight. Went for a ride and stopped at a friends house and it died. Dead Battery, so we put it on charge and got it running to get me home. Started to check things out today and found a bad stator and regulator. OH well no riding for me for a while.

You are gonna love those Shinko 777's. I have them on my '07 with no complaints. I am over 10K miles on my rear and still have a lot of tread left. Today, rode the RSV to and from work. It is a great feeling to be back on the bike.

I rolled the dice and put on a pair of Metzler 888s. I've read good and bad, decided to try them for myself. My son put the Shinko 777s on his 05 RSTD earlier this Summer. I take more weekend rides than he does but his commute is much longer than mine. He likes his 777s. So far I like my 888s but I'm still on my first tank of gas since changing. It'll be interesting comparing the two as we add the miles. I think I'll do an oil change this weekend too. It's looking dirty, so why not? Shell dino oil, not the synthetic.

Ride safe!

It has been awhile since I was on here so I have some catching up to do. I didn't do all this today, but since I posted last.

Installed an LED headlight replacement bulb from Superbright LED's along with LED passing lamps. The headlight bulb was $35, plug and play and has very good performance. It is designed to work with the existing reflector and I have to say they got it right.

Compressed LED Lights.jpg

Installed a trailer hitch and bought a used Harbor Freight trailer off Craigslist.

Compressed Trailer and Bike.jpg

The clutch was slipping under hard acceleration so I installed a Barnett spring kit - problem solved.

Compressd Barnett Clutch Spring Kit.jpg

Installed a Kisan headlight modulator. With the LED headlight it makes road signs pulse like strobes even in broad daylight. If they can't see me coming now, they are too blind to be behind the wheel.

Installed a TomTom Rider 550 GPS and a Ram X-mount phone holder on the handlebars. Was able to design a single mount to hold both.

Compressed TomTom.jpg

Installed a iMESTOU brand phone holder in the back for my wife. I like the Ram X-mount, but I wouldn't have it if I had found this first.

Compressed iMESTOU Phone Holder.jpg

..Installed a trailer hitch and bought a used Harbor Freight trailer off Craigslist...

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=119388

Installed a iMESTOU brand phone holder in the back for my wife. I like the Ram X-mount, but I wouldn't have it if I had found this first.

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=119389

I have the same trailer, also bought used from forum member dfitzbiz and it does the trick.

The iMESTOU phone holder with wireless quick charger gets an A+++ from me! I love mine. Rock solid and the charger works perfectly.

Can you source that cup holder? I need one exactly like it. My 24 oz. travel cup won't fit in anything I've found, but that one looks to be perfect.

Ok, I will confess, found the phone holder based on a link you posted in another thread, so I shall now return the favor:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C2765SQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yes, I can confirm it will hold a 44 oz. cup.

That cup holder does not come with a mount so I ordered this and it worked perfectly:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KOOQG9A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by MonsterBiker

I changed the oil in the '06 RSV and took a look at whether I might be able to make the RSTD Mustang seat work. It might be possible, but I do think Kris is going like the original Pillow Top seat better than the much narrower and thinner Mustang Pillion saddle, so I will be selling the Mustang.

I also ordered the CIRO Big A** Cup holder and mirror mount.

It has been awhile since I was on here so I have some catching up to do. I didn't do all this today, but since I posted last.

Installed an LED headlight replacement bulb from Superbright LED's along with LED passing lamps. The headlight bulb was $35, plug and play and has very good performance. It is designed to work with the existing reflector and I have to say they got it right.

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=119385

Installed a trailer hitch and bought a used Harbor Freight trailer off Craigslist.

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=119386

The clutch was slipping under hard acceleration so I installed a Barnett spring kit - problem solved.

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=119387

Installed a Kisan headlight modulator. With the LED headlight it makes road signs pulse like strobes even in broad daylight. If they can't see me coming now, they are too blind to be behind the wheel.

Installed a TomTom Rider 550 GPS and a Ram X-mount phone holder on the handlebars. Was able to design a single mount to hold both.

OK, I ordered the cup holder and mount. Now I need to know where the vented wide wind screen and storage pouches came from!

OK, I ordered the cup holder and mount. Now I need to know where the vented wide wind screen and storage pouches came from!

The windshield is a Clearview GT XXL with light gray tint and the optional vent. You can find it here:

https://www.clearviewshields.com/motorcycle-windshields/yamaha/yamaha-touring/royal-star-venture-shields/

When I bought my RSV last November it came with a shorty dark tinted windshield. My wife and I decided to go on a 5 day 1,000 mile lap around north central Florida. After 5 days of wind buffeting so bad it was making my eyeballs vibrate I ordered the Clearview within an hour of arriving back home. Because of the storage pouches I had them install the vent a little higher than stock. They were happy to do so once they made sure I understood that as a customized windshield it was non-returnable. I measured very carefully before telling them how much higher to go and it came out perfect. Overall I am very pleased with this windshield.....no more vibrating eyeballs. Ok, confession time. I found their website based on an old thread on here.....yeah, I have been lurking awhile and finally got around to ponying up for a membership. Most of the improvements I have made to my RSV I found on here. But....not the storage pouches. I wish I could tell you what website I found them on, but I honestly can't remember. It probably wouldn't matter though, they were on clearance and I bought them months ago so I doubt they would have any more. I think I paid around $35 for them. They are for a Harley so the plastic insert to hold them between the windshield and dash was not long enough. I managed to secure the assembly to a couple of bolts under the fairing cover using some solid core copper wire. Holds just fine and the wire is not visible. On the downside though, the pouches block my view of the speedometer.....which was one of the reasons I bought the TomTom 550.....after I read the review by VentureFar......starting to see a pattern here? You guys are gonna cost me a lot of money. But at least with the TomTom now I can see my speed.

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=119385

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=119386

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=119387

So Tip (my wife), Trooper (our Hyundia Mini Micro Motorhome) and I are out CTFW's when I notice a carrier like you have mounted on the HF trailer Monst sitting in someones front yard with a little "FREE" sign hangin on it.. As the 3 of us are whippin a roadie, Tip asks whats up.. I said "you didnt see that micro trailer top sitting back there for free?".. She said ya but what ya gonna do with it,, our touring on the bike days are long gone and besides,, you wouldnt be caught dead draggin a trailer behind Tweeks (our 83) even if we were still able to tour on Tweeks.. I said "just hang with me. You'll love this".. The carrier was perfect,, came with key and all mounting hardware,, fit perfect inside Troopers internal campground.. Got home, unloaded it,, went in,, ate dinner,, took a nap, got up about 1 a.m. and asked Tip if she wanted to go with me down to the dunes,, says sure.. She :think: as I loaded up the three buckets and shovel to shovel the sand in.. When we got back she :guitarist 2::happy34::bowdown::bighug:as I dumped the sand into our 3 year old grandsons new sandbox.. Next day, when the daughter pulled in with "THE KID" he literally ran to the sand when he noticed it!!

DSCN7139.JPGDSCN7137.JPGDSCN7138.JPG

• Like 1

LOL! Even has a lid to keep the neighborhood cats out of it.

I had planned to buy a base Harbor Freight trailer and put a car top carrier on it, but it turns out the one I bought used came new in that configuration.

:thumbsup: my EXACT words to Tip when I closed it for the night after the kid played in it all day :big-grin-emoticon: