IGNORED

What did you do to your venture today?

gggGary

2 minutes ago, cowpuc said:

Its our local "bike time" here in Muskegon Mi! Tip and I are going to treat Tweeksis to the very very best treat of all, we plan to go do a ride thru!! TWEEKS WILL LOVE THIS!!! 

I’ll tell ya @cowpuc I love your map on your “signature”. You’ve been able to do what I’m planning (Lord willing) of doing when I retire.  If you’re like me, you only colored in states that you actually rode on 2 wheels in right?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ChiefGunner said:

I’ll tell ya @cowpuc I love your map on your “signature”. You’ve been able to do what I’m planning (Lord willing) of doing when I retire.  If you’re like me, you only colored in states that you actually rode on 2 wheels in right?

ABSOLUTELY 100% ROCK SOLID FACT @ChiefGunner!  All stickers on Tweeksis are also EARNED stickers.. Well,, ok,, I take that back,, there have been a couple people from other countries (like @Aussie Annie and Jonas from Iceland - for the life of me I cant remember Jonas's screen name, old age I reckon..) who brought Tweeks stickers from their homeland and those are on there BUT,, that is only a couple stickers and WELL LOVED.. All the rest are earned stickers just like the colored in map areas. word of note Chief, that is a LIFETIME of touring, not a retirement of touring. I/we are sooo glad I/we didnt wait. We were homeschoolers and I spent many years in self employment so I would grab 1 kid out of 4 and go chase across the country (GREAT MEMORIES AND BONDING) and Tip would stay home and care for the other 3 (hard on marriage). That started in 1987 on my 1st MK1 - a blonde the kids named "Beeg" (short for Big Girl). The blonde side covers on our current 83 are from that original MK1 from long ago. Those Blonde covers are the only piece of our 6 bikes to have actually covered over 1 million miles.  Also, the stickers are an accumulation between all bikes too as are the map colors. I have always wanted to fill in Alaska and western Canada, its been a forever dream but by the looks of things I/we are timed out. My deepest wish and prayer for you my friend is that you and your gorgeous scoot and precious wife will get the blessing from God to get to see ALL of it, even the ones we missed.. Puc P.S. -  I dont have much in pics from the real old days of Beeg but I do think I have one,, hold on,, I will see if I can find one.. 2101571702_sleepinonthedesert.jpg.a1fc239c56513f4fc1ea88254b2dbda3.jpg774066926_1atkaths.jpg.44a70887cb7086e45465ac0067cbfe9d.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, cowpuc said:

ABSOLUTELY 100% ROCK SOLID FACT @ChiefGunner!  All stickers on Tweeksis are also EARNED stickers.. Well,, ok,, I take that back,, there have been a couple people from other countries (like @Aussie Annie and Jonas from Iceland - for the life of me I cant remember Jonas's screen name, old age I reckon..) who brought Tweeks stickers from their homeland and those are on there BUT,, that is only a couple stickers and WELL LOVED.. All the rest are earned stickers just like the colored in map areas. word of note Chief, that is a LIFETIME of touring, not a retirement of touring. I/we are sooo glad I/we didnt wait. We were homeschoolers and I spent many years in self employment so I would grab 1 kid out of 4 and go chase across the country (GREAT MEMORIES AND BONDING) and Tip would stay home and care for the other 3 (hard on marriage). That started in 1987 on my 1st MK1 - a blonde the kids named "Beeg" (short for Big Girl). The blonde side covers on our current 83 are from that original MK1 from long ago. Those Blonde covers are the only piece of our 6 bikes to have actually covered over 1 million miles.  Also, the stickers are an accumulation between all bikes too as are the map colors. I have always wanted to fill in Alaska and western Canada, its been a forever dream but by the looks of things I/we are timed out. My deepest wish and prayer for you my friend is that you and your gorgeous scoot and precious wife will get the blessing from God to get to see ALL of it, even the ones we missed.. Puc P.S. -  I dont have much in pics from the real old days of Beeg but I do think I have one,, hold on,, I will see if I can find one.. 2101571702_sleepinonthedesert.jpg.a1fc239c56513f4fc1ea88254b2dbda3.jpg774066926_1atkaths.jpg.44a70887cb7086e45465ac0067cbfe9d.jpg

Wow @cowpucthat’s a lot of traveling!  I’m not sure it’ll take us a “lifetime”. The 8 Western states I have colored in were all done on one 20 day tour. Some places we stayed in up to four days. When on the road though we did average 500-600 miles per day and camped the whole trip.  I was much younger then. Now it would be hotel each night and only setting up campsite if we’d be there at least 2 days.

Edited by ChiefGunner
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2022 at 7:05 PM, cowpuc said:

@larrydr, at what speed are you getting the wobble? Low speed,, 35 mph? The MK1's are known for low speed wobbles but not for high speed tank slappers is why I ask.  Tire air pressures and did you mount and balance them yourself? Are you using balance beads? Are  you mixing radials and bias tires? Check your tire bead alignment lines to make sure they are not mounted out of round and spin the tires and watch for signs of belt slippage? Check your tires for feathering and other anomolies?  How are you checking steer head bearings? Does your 83 have Progressive springs in the forks? If so, how much preload on them, when was the last time you checked its fork bushings for movement? Check the fork brace found directly above the front fender for loose mount bolts? Please answer each of those questions one at a time.. Thanks! Puc

I have not replaced the fork bushings , but I will replacing them ...The guy I bought  the bike from had similar problems till he matched the front and rear tires .....Have checked and rechecked the steering head bearings , and will be replacing them again only this time i will try to get them from Yamaha  ..Have had a series of problems on other bikes when we use after market parts....More guys I know have had strange events after using after market steering head bearings ...

We are all getting some type of heat wave over here on the East Coast, but I still managed to ride my RSV and SVTC taking turns every other day.  Today I will spend time with the RSV and go for a nice ride to and from work.  Even though I do not have any long rides scheduled, I cherish the time simply riding the bike doing local errands and commute to and from work.  As always, Ride Safe. 

The next time I get the chance and hopefully this weekend, I will replace plugs, coolant and fuel filter on the RSV.  

Cutoff the heel shifter peg & replaced it with the woodcraft folding toe piece:  https://woodcraft-cfm.com/products/08-7099-folding-toe-piece-black

Its about 3/4" shorter & I installed it so it folds up.  This allows me to move my foot backward on the floorboard and I can just push it up out of the way with my boot.  I just finished the project as it was getting close to dinner and haven't had a chance to test it yet.  Will do that tomorrow.   Heading out for a 5k trip in August, so it will get a really good test then! 

On my previous long trips, I like moving my feet back from time to time to shift my body position and that darn heel peg is just in a bad spot, limiting left foot movement.  Hopefully this is successful.  If not, I'll be ordering another shifter on ebay & thinking of another solution.

heelpeg.jpg

Edited by circa1968
spelling
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, Pasta Burner said:

I noticed how much cleaning I’m going to have to do.  Power washed my 30+ year old aluminum garage doors in prep for paint the other day.  Unfortunately a lot of that old chalky residue flew through the panel seams and covered the bikes in white splotch.

New look, now everybody will want that.

• Haha 1

Haven't really done any maintenance yet on my RSV since I got busy working on the truck and other things, but managed to ride the SVTC and RSV for the last 2 days.  43 degrees this morning and it called for a little bit of heat on the grips.  Tomorrow is bonding time with the RSV.  

• Like 1

Unfortunately, I had to put them up for the season. The '86 is in my garage so I can rebuild the brake MCs and the '06 is in a storage unit a few miles away.

I'm going to have to pull the rear wheel off the '06 to find a tire leak and the rear shock need rebuilt.

Dumped a half can of Seafoam in the tank to stabilize the fuel...Rode it a few miles to get the Seafoam into the carbs....Turned off the fuel and let it run itself out....put it in it's heated shed and covered.   Told her I'd see her in the Spring.

I noticed how much cleaning I’m going to have to do.  Power washed my 30+ year old aluminum garage doors in prep for paint the other day.  Unfortunately a lot of that old chalky residue flew through the panel seams and covered the bikes in white splotch.

Did something similar.  Washed my garage door off (outside) to clear spider webs. Waited 30 min, opened door and it dripped ... all... over... my neighbor's brand-new bike (was letting him store bike there) ... as if I didn't have enough to do...LOL! 

Edited by Joe in WV

Not much going on in Arizona Land. Been working on travel trailer. Switched to lithium batteries. Not plug and play as many say. Not if you do it right!

Spent this past week working on sailboat. Found two water leaks in the ports (windows). They cracked from the heat this summer. Guess it does get warm here! Lol.

RSV had been sitting quietly in garage. No time to ride this past month. But getting into prime riding season now. The heat seems to go away overnight in the middle of October each year. 

Just got some new rear brake shoes from @skydoc_17.They will go on in the next few weeks. I'll find time between sailing weekends and camping weeks coming up. 

That's it from the Southwest. Sorry to read about all youse putting up your V4 beasties for the Winter. 

be well...

• Like 1