IGNORED

What did you do to your venture today?

gggGary

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I set out to lower the front end 1/2".  About 5 hours later....after a break for lunch and looking in vain for the a nut that dropped into an abyss and finally making a trip to the autoparts store for a replacement...success!

I'm ~5'9", and based on various posts I read, 1/2" drop seemed like the right amount and I didn't want a dramatic change.  For flat footing @ a stop, I probably could have gone a hair lower but gotta say overall I couldn't be happier after a short test ride. 

I didn't expect to feel much difference, but it is noticeable, even w/ just a 1/2" drop.  Moving the bike around by my own power is much easier too as I now have more leverage.

I had previously installed Rox 2" risers so I need to spend a little time fining the right spot for my bars after the change.

• Like 2

I finally got the chance to bleed my brakes and clutch last week on the SVTC.  It is an ‘18, so it was time to replace the brake fluid.   It took me more time trying to figure out how to remove the right front cowling (I think that is what it called) than actually bleed and replace the fluid.   Everything went smooth as expected.   My brake fluid is good for another 2 years.   😀 I got a few pics I took during my ordeal    

D8F5AAD8-87DB-4EE6-982A-A8A03F5B399D.jpeg

F5429F05-BBED-42A7-B565-4830FBC8D3F4.jpeg

EF1683A3-2C4F-44E7-B486-AA647610D9A0.jpeg

6181DE5D-0F66-4489-A581-EBF34A24B9F2.jpeg

A3CAC07D-887E-4981-B49F-3F640316F147.jpeg

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, RDawson said:

In a moment of weakness 27 years ago today I exchanged rings and ate a cake so I got the bike out and we got in around 100 miles to celebrate today. 

A MAJOR congrats to both you and your bride Corporal Newkirk!! THAT is AWESOME!! Puc n Tip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Today I put on a set of new take-off Harley touring exhaust pipes (from 2003) I found on craigslist for $50.  Meh....A little throatier sound, but not convinced for me.  Figured worth a try for $50 and I will get out for a longer ride with them to see, but if anyone is looking for a nice set, it won't be hard to talk me out of them.

8 hours ago, circa1968 said:

Today I put on a set of new take-off Harley touring exhaust pipes (from 2003) I found on craigslist for $50.  Meh....A little throatier sound, but not convinced for me.  Figured worth a try for $50 and I will get out for a longer ride with them to see, but if anyone is looking for a nice set, it won't be hard to talk me out of them.

Drill the baffles out and they will sound much better without being obnoxious. I've had a set on my RSV for about 4 years now.

7 hours ago, Squidley said:

Drill the baffles out and they will sound much better without being obnoxious. I've had a set on my RSV for about 4 years now.

Thanks.  Yeah, I suppose worth a shot as long as I'm at it.  What is the best technique for drilling out the baffles?

4 hours ago, circa1968 said:

Thanks.  Yeah, I suppose worth a shot as long as I'm at it.  What is the best technique for drilling out the baffles?

If memory serves me correct, a 7/8" holesaw on a 18" 1/4" drill bit. There's 2 baffle plates in the HD mufflers. Drill the back one out 1st and see how you like the sound. If you want it a bit louder, drill the front one out.

• Thanks 1

On 5/31/2021 at 3:33 PM, Squidley said:

If memory serves me correct, a 7/8" holesaw on a 18" 1/4" drill bit. There's 2 baffle plates in the HD mufflers. Drill the back one out 1st and see how you like the sound. If you want it a bit louder, drill the front one out.

I used 1 1/8" hole saw, it was a perfect fit, for drilling out the rear baffle plate.  Definitely gives it more rumble.  Will leave them on for a while and see how I like it.  Thanks for the suggestion

• Like 1

On 5/28/2021 at 4:02 PM, RDawson said:

In a moment of weakness 27 years ago today I exchanged rings and ate a cake so I got the bike out and we got in around 100 miles to celebrate today. 

Congrats! That's so nice to hear.....now just keep it up (so to speak). Keep that lady Smiling and Happy! Ride more! LOL!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/3/2021 at 10:47 AM, circa1968 said:

I used 1 1/8" hole saw, it was a perfect fit, for drilling out the rear baffle plate.  Definitely gives it more rumble.  Will leave them on for a while and see how I like it.  Thanks for the suggestion

I was only a 1/4" off lol, I have a set on my 02 with both plates out. It's not obnoxiously loud, but sounds good when I get after it.

On 5/28/2021 at 5:02 PM, RDawson said:

In the year of Covid for our fourth we did the same thing with a picnic by the stream.

Was running out of F1 ceramic coating fluid and was pricey( didn't seem to live up to specks--seemed to shine up OK but attracted dust way too easily ) so looked into getting Shine Armor and same as F1(pricey and availability---US)  So saw Go Clean Waterless Carwash which is Canadian based and arrived in couple days. Will be trying in a couple days.

I changed my driver's back rest out. 

I went from a Chinese eBay special to an American made eBay special. The Chinese rest was adjustable but could not be easily removed, and I could never dial in the adjustment. The Grasshopper, LTD back rest is not adjustable but it comes on and off easily and quickly. The default position works pretty darn well for me too.

• Like 1

Cleaned and organized trunk and saddle bags then cleaned with last of my F1 cleaner and polish.Organizing trunk worked out good  but  F1 polished wasn't cleaning like it should so tried out new cleaner polish (""goclean water-less wash& polish"") read write up and said it was seen on Dragon's Den or the other show. Canadian made. While I was out side I also tried it on my Dodge Dakota and Phantom's new Nissan Quashqui  (Rogue) . Will check later tomorrow.

21 hours ago, Hoytcanon said:

Thanks, my highway Pegs are changing, I am stripping a pair of my Road Star to replace them. The pillow top seat may help, but I absolutely hate the look of them, and also, it always looks as though the button recesses will act as little swimming pools to gather water... these are just uninformed observations as I have never tried the pillow-top seats. I messaged Rick before posting and his inbox had a notice that he cannot receive messages... maybe his inbox is full or he is no longer an active member???

On 6/13/2021 at 3:38 PM, luvmy40 said:

I changed my driver's back rest out. 

I went from a Chinese eBay special to an American made eBay special. The Chinese rest was adjustable but could not be easily removed, and I could never dial in the adjustment. The Grasshopper, LTD back rest is not adjustable but it comes on and off easily and quickly. The default position works pretty darn well for me too.

I like the Grasshopper! Works well for me on the RSV. 

Took bike in yesterday to get tires--rear rotor and brake pads changed. Should be done Wed. Forgot the area shop is in is still in part lock-down because of amount of Covid cases so had to use bushes out back to relieve our selves (with permission)(wash rooms were not available to us).  Had to weld support tube onto tire clamp I have on trailer as it was bending from lack of support under clamp. On bike table I built it is on steel plate and trailer it is hanging off tongue that is only 6in wide so flexes.

Checked my RSV (I thought) and rode it to an inspection station in order to renew the registration.  Turns out the low beam headlight doesn't work but the guy passed it anyway.  Then rode to the license plate office to renew it and my two trailers.  I looked at the owner's manual for the headlight bulb and it only says it's 60/55W.  Why the heck doesn't it identify the bulb number?  How do you get to it on an RSV?  

Oh, last month I found out that my Kawasaki at 35 years old doesn't require an inspection any more to renew the plate. 

Edited by BlueSky
  • Like 2

Just got a call from shop saying my head bearings need to be replaced(they self center)  $55 for bearings and around 4hrs labor $99per hr.   then called back to agree on replacing bearings and was informed that when removing muffler the pipe fell apart so need a new one. Cost is $1000 + tax and labor and is on BACKORDER. Calling around to see if can find used but no luck so far..Does anyone know if 08 would be the same as 2012 ( I think is the same but recycle shop needs to know)