IGNORED

What did you do to your venture today?

gggGary

There are many a day through the Winter when the roads are dry and the weather cam ...Back in the 1960's I rode many day when people thought I was nuts   ..It always good the run the bike enough to equal the electronics and it keeps all the bearings and the suspension running free .

• 2 weeks later...

Saw some antifreeze under bike to-day and pulled false cylinder cover off front right and saw water plug was wet. Did the cheap fix in maintenance section by putting dime against plug. Probably from moving bike out of garage 8 or 10 times without totally warming it up enough.Had no problem when I had it out for couple our rides earlier this month. Will double check in couple days.

On 8/29/2020 at 10:54 AM, cowpuc said:

Shoulda took that 1st Gen up to Pah-hoe-nix to ride those mountains Vaz,, aint no virus known to man (maybe Murph but he is no virus) can run with a 1st Gen brother!! We been riding Tweeks and I been running Maggie in between my shovels full of rocks and dirt in my finishing our home and prepping for next years 500 year flood just for a break in all the work and guess what? Tip and I have found riding mask free while outrunning the virus is a wonderful way to enjoy the summer :big-grin-emoticon:!!

DSCN6836.JPGDSCN6844.JPGDSCN7241.JPGDSCN7238.JPGDSCN4583.JPG

Just saw this post! Sorry it's taken so long.

Wowser... That's a bit of moisture you had there! That's normal for us during our monsoons!!

Agreed....I should have continued to ride, but with most restaurants closed this past summer (I ride to eat) and the serious threat of Covid around here, I really didn't want to take a chance. I'm high risk. Even today, I carry disinfectant spray on the bike so after each gas up, I spray the hands.

Let's hope that the 500 year flood doesn't happen again in our lifetime!! (Although in Arizona, that's a yearly event...)

• Like 1

And I don't go now. Our weather is not for travel, and I don’t leave the house once again. I don't want to get COVID. I understand that before the mass coverage of vaccines I may be ill, but still I don't want to get sick now, when such monstrous statistics.

• 2 months later...

Permanently moved  the ol' 87 to a new city today about (136 km) 85 miles in the young lads enclosed trailer. First ride of 2021, sort of , well technically.  About  a 30 yard run out of the deal. 15 yards in and 15 yards out of the trailer...   Patiently waiting 4 more weeks traditionally bring on warmer temps for some serious riding, blow away some winter covid blues.

Swapped the terrible factory headlight and passing lamps for new LED units. I know I could've just swapped it out  the standard bulb for a LED replacement, but they rarely work well when retrofit into old incandescent housings.

The mounting method i used required irreversible mods to the original light assembly and fairing to fit and retain adjustability. I bought a complete OEM headlight assembly off Ebay,  just in case something went wrong.

While I was in there, I also replaced the original 12V power port with a high output dual USB unit, moved the aftermarket tach the PO installed from the handlebars to the underside of the dash, and my favorite part...

I replaced the inoperable factory cassette player missing the door, with a functional unit with a door. Silly, I know...but it reeeeeaalllyy bothered me to stare at that broken unit and missing door. It's right below the speedo, so there's no ignoring it.

Removed the luggage rack from the trunk, removed the saddlebag guards, and addressed the indestructible adhesive left behind by a matching pair of reflective "Jesus fish" someone stuck to each bag. Not sure what they used to attach them, but it appears to be either super glue or epoxy. Hard as a brick, and impervious to acetone, Goo-gone, alcohol, heat, plastic scrapers, etc. Only options were cover-up or sand and refinish the bags.

I opted for a pair of imitation Lucas RER25 reflectors.

Next on the list are new tires, shorter windscreen, CB antenna delete, and a shorty replacements for the radio antenna.

20210313_180019.jpg

20210313_175708.jpg

20210313_181031.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks,, it's getting there. I don't think I've ever had to remove as many stock items from a bike to make it suit me. 

Here in the Atlanta, GA area, the riding season never ends, and I typically log more miles in the winter than the summer. I commute by motorcycle year 'round, as long as it's dry. I don't mind temps in the teens, but I despise riding in the rain. 

Edited by Stasher1
  • Like 2

The Progressive fork springs felt a lot better but it started missing. When I jammed my homemade throttle cable through the wrong route then yanked it out and jammed it through again it pulled on a plug wire. When I got to the coils and saw what the wires looked like I decided to install new ones. Ordered a plug wire set for a Suzuki Swift, a throttle cable for a 86 Gold Wing LTD, and an oil filter today. Gonna relocate the TCI like I read on this site while I'm waiting for them to arrive.

20210319_103428.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Replaced the stock whip antennas with a pair of 8" shorties, new air filters, added a Battery Tender pigtail, and (since i had the seat off) replaced the two rear plug caps with new NGK 5K resistor caps. I'll do the front in a few days when I take it apart for a new windscreen, tires, and oil change.

Hopefully that'll be it for a while and I can finally enjoy riding it without focusing on all of the things that need addressing. 

5 hours ago, Uthred said:

Got her started and she is sitting at about 4000 rpms have to figure out what is wrong before I can ride

When I had that problem with my Kawasaki, it was because the carbs were not seated properly in the carb holders or intake manifolds and there was a huge vacuum leak.  

Today, in a bittersweet moment, I sold The Beast. The 1983 XVZ12TK that started this love affair with 4 cylinder, liquid cooled monsters.

To be honest, she hasn't really been mine for about 3 years. I gave her to my son, then took her back as a trade in on my '86 when I got the Black Cherry 2006 RSV.

She wasn't getting any road time and I hated to see her sitting there all alone and rotting away with neglect. So a new owner, a prior forum member, now has a resto project and hopefully The Beast will shine again!

• Like 3