IGNORED

What did you do to your venture today?

gggGary

This

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=119532

A generous member donated an extra set of bars several years ago, finally got around to using them.

Straightened the bend "quite a bit" with oxy-acetylene and shortened them 2 1/2". Took a couple times to get them adjusted where I was happiest but much better now!

Also removed the lead weights, so far that's just fine.

Grips are Siligrips my favorites!

Also snagged a used Barnett clutch conversion and a new gasket off fleabay. She would only slip at hard throttle above 4500 RPM but I do that sometimes. :thumbsup2:

I love the handlebars on the Gen 1s and other Yamahas of the time. Wish they did this for the 2018.

I love the handlebars on the Gen 1s and other Yamahas of the time. Wish they did this for the 2018.

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::thumbsup:

You and me both @bpate4home,, you and me both!! As a matter of fact,, pure simple flat out fact,, I love them so much that when Freebird put out the call years ago for us club members to come up with our wish list for the new Venture (found here - https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?102280-Let-the-discussion-begin&highlight=1700cc+v-max ) way back while the new model of the Venture was still on the drawing board,, those bars of which you and I speak were on my wish list of what I thought would add to the possibility of the new Venture actually turning the touring bike world upside down (as Mom Yam said its final product was going to).. Funny thing is,, if you read thru my list below copy/pasted from the actual thread above, you will probably come to the same conclusion that I did when I first saw the new bike at the world release of it out at Lake George, NY.. That being that Mom Yam actually did read our input and did everything in her power to come out with a bike with everything opposite of that which our clubbers had wished for :big-grin-emoticon:..

At any rate,, here is my list from a time long ago:

1700cc V-4 "V-Max" motor.. Detune it if you must (just like before) but please,, dont do another V-Twin - got enough of em.. You guys can do it,, I KNOW YOU CAN!!

Shaft drive!

EFI with a tunable tuner - even if its an add on - please provide one so we can tune it!!

LED lighting.

Engine guarding and saddle bag guarding.

Adjustable bars like on the first gen.

Factory tank and windshield bags.

Fixed Fairing.

Get the same Doctors who advised you on constructing the seat of the 1st Gens (cant remember what you call those guys) to advise you on this one - my kids, wife and I LOVE what they did!! Keep the seat height difference between the rider and passenger no more than 3 inches (2 is great) - raising the passenger higher causes weight imbalance and makes slow speed riding harder.

Ease of removal of the trunk(s) for changing rear tire.

Center stand.

Forward boards with normal foot pegs located rearward so standing up while riding is still possible, shift and brake levers at both locations (no heal toe please).

Hand warmers.

Key removable rear trunk and bags.

Grease zerks on all main pivot points.

High output stator even though it has LED's.

Double check the gear sets in the tranny and make sure they ramp up solidly.

Oversized clutch to insure NO slippage in high gears with xtra weight.

42 millimeter front fork tubes with progressive springs.

Imbed reflective tape (or use reflective paint) in paint lines (like pin striping) so all profiles of bike light up when grazed by car lights.

Add a large foot onto side stand - tired of bending over to pick up stand plate after parking on loose ground.

Explore which tire sizes are the most common and build around those standards so tire choices and finding them are easy.

Remember those long grips you used on the first gens? Use those, I love bending them back onto my knees.

Enclose the motor well to keep ANY objectional heat off both riders BUT - use lots of venting with plenums to act as heaters when needed.

Windshield it so the rear rider remains in the protective air pocket - functional vents in shield and fairing to adjust air movement if needed (hey,, could be asking for servo operated shield but I dont care for more things to go wrong).

6 speed Over drive tranny.

Use GOOD solder, especially with ECU pins. QC the daylights out of it! DONT go cheap and trust the Chinese!!

Dont short us on wire harness leads so wiring is tight - xtra 1/4 inch really helps!!

Make fairing panels easy to remove but not so they fall off.

Supply printable shop manual disc and printed well written owners manual. Supply GOOD factory tire pressure guage.

Chrome is out for me, I LOVE dull stainless (like the pipes on the "New" V-Max),, matter of fact,, build mine with no rustable chrome and all dull stainless!!

Intercom, CB and radio would be nice.. Keep the tape deck.

Well @cowpuc you got a couple LOL. Heated grips/seat, fixed fairing, 6 speed, intercom/radio/CB. Everything else - Well. . . . Let's just say as time and more importantly money permits I'll be changing things like the windshield, seat and I did see somewhere that a guy figured out how to remove the trunk.

Well cowpuc you got a couple LOL. Heated grips/seat, fixed fairing, 6 speed, intercom/radio/CB. Everything else - Well. . . . Let's just say as time and more importantly money permits I'll be changing things like the windshield, seat and I did see somewhere that a guy figured out how to remove the trunk.

:clap2::dancefool::thumbsup:!!!!

Now its just a matter of ridin er like you stole er BP!!! :big-grin-emoticon::thumbsup:

I fired up the 1st gen. She started right up and ran well for about 20 minutes. She's on the stand awaiting time and parts for me to rebuild the shocks. Still haven't got around to it...yet! Sad....

Meanwhile the RSV sits in Phoenix. We have had an unusual summer. No monsoon to speak of and blistering heat. Very little riding up there...even at night...its still 110 at 9pm. I originally brought the RSV up to Phoenix to ride the mountains in the Spring, but Covid took care of that.

I fired up the 1st gen. She started right up and ran well for about 20 minutes. She's on the stand awaiting time and parts for me to rebuild the shocks. Still haven't got around to it...yet! Sad....

Meanwhile the RSV sits in Phoenix. We have had an unusual summer. No monsoon to speak of and blistering heat. Very little riding up there...even at night...its still 110 at 9pm. I originally brought the RSV up to Phoenix to ride the mountains in the Spring, but Covid took care of that.

Shoulda took that 1st Gen up to Pah-hoe-nix to ride those mountains Vaz,, aint no virus known to man (maybe Murph but he is no virus) can run with a 1st Gen brother!! We been riding Tweeks and I been running Maggie in between my shovels full of rocks and dirt in my finishing our home and prepping for next years 500 year flood just for a break in all the work and guess what? Tip and I have found riding mask free while outrunning the virus is a wonderful way to enjoy the summer :big-grin-emoticon:!!

DSCN6836.JPGDSCN6844.JPGDSCN7241.JPGDSCN7238.JPGDSCN4583.JPG

• Like 1

Actually rode it for the first time in a couple of weeks. :Venture:

I was reminded of why I had not ridden it in a couple of weeks....it's too hot!

Went out sunday. Made sure to leave early morning and be back by 10:00am was able to get in 100 mi. Cold water is a must. Made sure to drink some and to dump some on me as I got hot. It was within a few degrees of a 100 when I got back to the house.

35655277645e7680a94196210b7ae3a2.jpg

Double check all ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk053a7b89ff551fecaff73fe11e634270.jpg

Went for a 50km test ride all ok.

Good for another 100,000km and twenty years . If I make it that long!

Today I drove 1300km (900miles) to pick up a exhaust unmolested ( baffles removed) form another province (state) I guess another in the shop to install

Edited by sailur

Went for a ride on the 07 Bluebird. I have never noticed the cooling fan running. Shouldn't it run while sitting at a stop light in 85 degree weather?

Normally I would say yes but it really depends on the temp of the bike I believe. If it was not running when you finished your ride I would start with the Fuse. That blew on my '06 while riding in 90+ for a couple of hours but the bike never got hot enough show a warning light. I just noticed the extra heat.

Pulled the air horns and compressor from the '06 to clean them up and found the compressor to be Tango Uniform. So I mounted a WOLO horn I had laying around on the very convenient mounting point engineered into the passenger highway peg mount that RDawson so graciously designed and fabricated.

Thanks Corporal Newkirk!:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Well I should say what did I do to my Venture over the last month (with alot of help from Marcarl and Saddlebum). As you may know I bought 3 1986 Ventures and was happy to ride for the beginning of the Summer. I noticed a problem with a miss on one of the cylinders so I took the bike to Marcarl and got the news that one of the exhaust ports was not working and air was leaking. So I brought another of the bikes to him and found out that the transmission was done. So he and Saddlebum did the right thing and told me to scrap these and buy a new bike:crying:. I stated that I like this bike and would like to fix it. So the engines came out of both bikes and we swapped the good transmission to the good engine. The rest went out.

transout.jpg

That was all buttoned back up after a week of waiting for the gaskets to arrive, and then another week for the gaskets that we forgot to order when we ordered the first gaskets. Got the bottom half of the engine all done and then they told me we should do the service on the valves because they have probably never been done since leaving the factory, so valves are now serviced.

valvesuncovered.jpg

And covered up after much swearing:bang head: and head banging.

shiney.jpg

Then it was trying to get the engine back in the bike, not quite as easy as you would think, but after a few tries with the engine on a floor jack we decided to try a motorcycle jack, which actually worked when the bike was tilted out of the way and then over top of the engine.

backinno pumpkin.jpg

Pumkin back in and rear wheel on, it's starting to look like a motorcycle again

back in with pumpkin.jpg

Then came the fun stuff like finding out only one of the brakes were working, we discovered that someone had tried to delink the brakes bysealing the hose on the back master cylinder but did not attach the left front brake line to anything. The back caliper was seized so that was pulled off the third bike. Then the rear master cylinder was deemed to be "crap" by my instructor Marcarl, so that also came off the third bike.

The bike is all back together now and yes it does run and shift and ride. I went for a 2 hour ride this afternoon and nothing fell off, so I guess we did an adequate job.:thumbsup2:

Well my bike has been on the jack for a couple weeks now. Just put new tires and headlight in it and the stator went out. I got a new stator from Earl and had to order a new stator cover as a couple screws twisted off. I got the cover from Gary Dings. Should have it back up and running this weekend.