IGNORED

What did you do to your venture today?

gggGary

Back to the topic this morning.

Since I woke up early to see if riding buddy was up for an early morning ride...(wasn't), and since I couldn't go back to sleep...got dressed, put the gear on and decided an early breakfast was in order. So, checked the tires (thanks cowpuc) and they were right where we left them in cowpuc territory.

Off to Rio Rico to Nickels Diner for that omelet of theirs. Pile on goodies, one price. Yum!

On the way home...took the back road....dropped in to see if I could renew my scoots annual National Park Pass (free to humans but scoots pay a teeny fee for a decal). The decal allows you to ride in without digging your pass and ID out. They weren't ready for me...too early.

So just stopped at my usual haunts and took pics for youse all!

Beautiful day....

Santa Cruz Spice Factory.

Quite the place for outstanding spices....even a tasting table that you will regret using after one bite!

But oh so good....they are on-line...just in case.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=113339

Where I buy my annual passes. Not open yet.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=113340

Tubac. Tourist trap but really good stuff for the most part. They were still sleeping too....

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=113341http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=113342

The scoot ran wonderfully, but MPG's still low around 33mpg. Not much wind on this tank. Before the trip, new oil and filter, new air filters, cleaned and gapped plugs, etc.. So I'm curious what's up. Others have complained about low MPG's but starting, idling and full/partial throttle responses are excellent.

I'm thinking plugs....can't hurt and they are cheap. I'll gap them tight as cowpuc does, since they do tend to open up a bit with wear.

But that's what I did with my Venture this morning!

Oh, forgot... I took the Scorpion EXO 920 helmet out for it's first run on my head. J&M installed their latest speakers and stuff in it 2 days ago. What a nice helmet. Much quieter than my 6 year old 900 it replaces, better airflow too! But the real smile...is the speakers. They are outstanding. Everybody knocks the RSV audio system and yea, the speakers and amp are weak...but through the headphones the system is quite good.

:banana::biker:

You lop eared :witch_brew: sneaky petein picture snappin varmint @videoarizona = :sign green with env:big-grin-emoticon:!!!! You just wait till our time on the ol western trail gets here (and its comin),,,,,,, ol Pucster, young Tipster and beat up ol Tweeksis are gonna :rasberry: your :stickpoke: ways!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heading out to the slab to strap on the E4 for the ultimate test Vaz,,,,, gonna get us some of that country you keep showin off!!!

P.S. = sooooooooooooooooooooo glad the tire swap I had the honor of helping you with is staying together brother!!!!! Keep it spinning = that's the key Vaz!!!

P.S. P.S. (wearing out my "p", "s" and "." buttons here) - just found Tip and my two up slowride video adventure on your bike that we took when you were snoozing at our house and left your keys in your bike:biker:,,, gonna set it to upload to Youtube while I am out playin in the garage!! :think:,,, lucky you didnt end up hitch hiking home cause Tweeksis REALLY enjoyed the company :bighug:

Love ya brother

me

@videoarizona , could you do me a favor Vaz,,,,, when we were going thru the AWESOME pics on your phone while you were here you showed me one you had snitched off the internet of yours truly stretched out on Tweeks - it was an unplanned impromptu shot that I think was takin at our Bike Time here in town.. If you get a second and happen to see that pic again,, is there a chance you could post it up or send it to me... I would LOVE to have a copy of the two of us out doing our thing... I know, vanity of vanities and all that :missingtooth:

Well... I'm a relative newbie.... so, I forgot to post this two days ago.

I took my 84 Venture to Manheim, PA for a PA intermediate refresher class. I'm on a permit, looking for my license. 62 years old new rider, on the oldest bike there. Ran like a champ for the first 4 riding sessions, was hot, fan running, hard starting, but on the 5th riding session, it just quit, felt like vapor lock. Parked it, figured I'd flunk the permit test, then the testers loaned me a 200cc Suzuki (what a difference), to finish the class. After the session it started, and I got back to the final class session, got my M certification and went to go home. No start. Ended up pushing the bike a 1/4 mile to B&B, a Yamaha dealer down the street (how lucky can I be) They claimed a rusty tank, clogged fuel filter, $121 and two hours later, I was headed home. Yup... learned to ride on a 34 year old venture (more than a few people had their doubts), passed my M test, happy camper. Thank you B&B for the emergency fix, and Hernandez for the assist pushing it down the street.

I took my 84 Venture to Manheim, PA for a PA intermediate refresher class. I'm on a permit, looking for my license. 62 years old new rider, on the oldest bike there. Ran like a champ for the first 4 riding sessions, was hot, fan running, hard starting, but on the 5th riding session, it just quit, felt like vapor lock. Parked it, figured I'd flunk the permit test, then the testers loaned me a 200cc Suzuki (what a difference), to finish the class. After the session it started, and I got back to the final class session, got my M certification and went to go home. No start. Ended up pushing the bike a 1/4 mile to B&B, a Yamaha dealer down the street (how lucky can I be) They claimed a rusty tank, clogged fuel filter, $121 and two hours later, I was headed home. Yup... learned to ride on a 34 year old venture (more than a few people had their doubts), passed my M test, happy camper. Thank you B&B for the emergency fix, and Hernandez for the assist pushing it down the street.

THAT is AWESOME @jnc19610 = what an amazing accomplishment even though you didnt get to complete the entire test on the 1st Gen!!! MAJOR congrats and a HUGE :thumbsup: to you brother!!!!

Concerning the tank/rust/non running issue... I am sure some have had good luck with gas filters handling rust from rusty tanks but I am not one of them.. IMHO (and that is all this is), I would pull the seat, remove the gas gauge access cover on top of the tank and take a pen light and shine in there and see what I see.. I would also either take a small dental mirror and check on the roof of the tank thru the access hole or I would reach my finger in there and do a test swipe. If I found rust I would pursue either a tank coating (I use "Red Kote" sealer (best of the best IMHO) as shown here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/RED-KOTE-GAS-FUEL-TANK-SEALER-LINER-REDKOTE-QT/273326329321?epid=1137271078&hash=item3fa384cde9:g:~pkAAOSwEK9UDcTd

or I would replace the tank with a good one.. One of the things you really dont want to have happen is to contaminate your carbs on one of these V-4's (again,, IMHO) and some of that rust can be small enough to slip thru the filter IMHO.. Some bikes are fairly simple to clean the carbs back up occasionally but these things can be both time consuming and costly.... Something to think about I reckon...

Ride safe out there and HAVE FUN!!!

Puc

P.S. - if ya need a short video of the removal process of that cover under the seat,, feel free to give a shout:thumbsup:

Here ya go Scott!

I'll send the rest private message to you...

I love this pic...you, Tip and Tweaksis watching the sunset over Lake Michigan.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=113343

This is what we were looking at...

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=113344

Love ya back, Bro...

Very well done and THANK YOU David!!!

I am actually looking for one that was in your phone that you were showing me of places you had been... It was in there somewhere with the shots of your boat and various rides you had taken and stuff.. It was a lone picture that I think you may have snitched off the site here of Tweeks and I at our Bike Time = no idea of who took it.. I was talking recently with one of our members on YouTube about why I need to have the lowers on my 1st Gens removed and mentioned that picture as an example of what I was referring to (I think it was @Chaharly I was talking to..).. He mentioned he would love to see that pic for comparisons... If you see it and wouldnt mind,,, please post it brother.. Thanks Vaz!!!

Very well done and THANK YOU David!!!

I am actually looking for one that was in your phone that you were showing me of places you had been... It was in there somewhere with the shots of your boat and various rides you had taken and stuff.. It was a lone picture that I think you may have snitched off the site here of Tweeks and I at our Bike Time = no idea of who took it.. I was talking recently with one of our members on YouTube about why I need to have the lowers on my 1st Gens removed and mentioned that picture as an example of what I was referring to (I think it was Chaharly I was talking to..).. He mentioned he would love to see that pic for comparisons... If you see it and wouldnt mind,,, please post it brother.. Thanks Vaz!!!

Hmmm...just went completely through my phone and computer...don't see anything like that. Can you describe the picture better? PM me with more details...

I always appreciate someone deciding they want to do something and then going out and doing it! Good on ya!!

NP... no video needed. It was rusty. Funny part was the reserve didn't drain, the screen was missing, so it probably just clogged up with rusty tank trash. The main drained, but the reserve was plugged. I had left it on reserve, since we have a fuel gauge, but I never figured it would plug up with rust.

Anyways, it's apart, tank out. Been shaking it with nuts and bolts (and wish I didn't' include a couple of aluminum washers, that were a PITA to fish out). I'll acid etch it, and coat it in a day or two.

It is a pretty drastic look if you have never seen it.https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArDqdcyQGh6Nr0Kpsn3H2-OI148D

I thought you would have to run mid to upper 70's to make time for stops and rest. Do you have an aux fuel tank for this kind of run?

While moving I ran the speed limit and no more than 5 over once in a while. If no construction the limits went from 70 to 80 with most at 75.

Yes, I just added a 5 gallon auxiliary tank. First real trial for it. All went well. I have ridden some SS1000s on my VTX without an auxiliary, 140 mile before reserve range in 18 hours. Then I added 1.8 gallon auxiliary tank that gives me a 200 mile range before reserve. The extra fuel made it so I could pick my stops.

A must stop at 170 give or take miles on the RSV without the auxiliary tank and more like 300 or so with the aux tank. When I would not have to pee or when I would not get sleepy the 300 plus mile range was a great asset.

My stops at my age are dictated more by my bladder and getting tired than fuel. Some days I only need to stop when I need fuel so I take care of food and restroom at the same time. More often I have to stop between fuel stops but usually very short rest stops. I get sleepy at odd times. I am getting old, 69 and a half.

OF COURSE I jinxed myself. What other possible explanation for a two inch screw in my back tire could there be??

After I whined enough about my fronts seeming "unresponsive", I thought for SURE you would try to make me do something to my brakes that would "improve performance by 75%".....but would require the inevitable "bleed procedure" to get it back roadworthy for tomorrow's epic journey to the shores of Lake Huron.

Nope. While trying to move the bike about 5 inches deeper into the garage, so the door would close without snapping off my ONE REMAINING antenna, I realized that I WAS in neutral, but I STILL couldn't push the sucker.

It wasn't till I checked to see if I was running into my garden hose that I looked down to see a VERY strange 'profile' on my E3. (FLAT, I think we call that!)

After reading 30 opinions (about 50/50 mixed) regarding who WOULD and who WOULDN'T ever "plug" a tire on a motorcycle, my lumbar spine and my countdown-to-departure-clock teamed up and got the better of me.

I PLUGGED IT!!

So, it's either, "Farewell, guys.....been great hangin with you on the site"......OR, hopefully, I'll be one of the guys who (next year) says "I put a plug in my half-worn Dunlop last year and it's never run better!"

Time will tell; my insurance is paid up. :-)

Had planned to change oil and filtre on my first day off. While warming it up I noticed a little hole in the right front collector stub. While lying on the ground getting out the drain plug I saw a nail sticking out of the rear tire. Serious bummer.

Had a hard time getting the filtre cover off. Must have over tightened it the previous change. The NAPA filtre came with a large o-ring and a small o-ring. After pulling off the filtre cover, couldn't see a small o-ring or any place such an o-ring might be fitted. Reassembled without the small o-ring.

Anyone know about this small o-ring?

So the next day I start dismantling stuff to remove the rear wheel. Got the saddlebags off and was removing the cotter pin for the rear axle when I noticed the angle of the nail was kind of odd. Had a good look at the nail. It was horizontal through the tread. Checked the pressure and it was good. No hole into the case. Whooo-Hooo!!!

In celebration, I changed the oil in the rear end.

It wasn't till I checked to see if I was running into my garden hose that I looked down to see a VERY strange 'profile' on my E3. (FLAT, I think we call that!)
Interesting difference between E3's on Gen 2 and Gen 1. When I had a flat front tire I couldn't tell it was flat without a pressure check. Even rode it 10 miles to work and back in a 0 PSI state. It drove like a truck so obviously something was wrong. Not recommending trying this, just saying.

When I had a flat front tire I couldn't tell it was flat without a pressure check. Even rode it 10 miles to work and back in a 0 PSI state. It drove like a truck so obviously something was wrong. Not recommending trying this, just saying.

Wow. Closest I've ever come to ZERO PSI is when I used to run 4-6lb in my rear Metzeler on my 250 CZ motocrosser.......back in the day!

On the UNINTENTIONAL front, I was running 4psi in one of the rear tires on my Hyundai Santa Fe last Summer. Crappy gas mileage.....but it's ALWAYS crappy. Crappy handling......but it's ALWAYS crappy!! :-)

My stops at my age are dictated more by my bladder and getting tired than fuel. Some days I only need to stop when I need fuel so I take care of food and restroom at the same time. More often I have to stop between fuel stops but usually very short rest stops. I get sleepy at odd times. I am getting old, 69 and a half.

You can't say Mother Nature doesn't have a sense of humour. (Humor, when she's on the US side of the border!)

Wait until you hit 70, Leroy, like I am. Then you're REALLY gonna notice the difference! :-)

You can't say Mother Nature doesn't have a sense of humour. (Humor, when she's on the US side of the border!)

Wait until you hit 70, Leroy, like I am. Then you're REALLY gonna notice the difference! :-)

Wait to you hit 72 like me. If you keep hydrated as you should, then every hour you need to stop.

:farmer:

I remember way back when I was 40. One of my coworkers was 50. I was having some foot issues. He said just wait until you are 50 all hell breaks loose. He was right. Then in my 60s I started needing mechanical repairs like an old car. Of course the good part is, so far, I am alive enough to need repairs. Some of my old school buddies my age gave it up long ago. So I must thank the good Lord for my health even with a little tweaking by the guys at the repair shop, aka, docs.

Try Super Beta Prostate. It helps me. I’m 74.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well finally, someone older than me! I'm 73.

It's so hot and humid here, I just drink lots of water. It pours out my pores and never gets to the bladder!

:scorched:

:big-grin-emoticon:,, when they yanked that tumor out of my abdomine a year ago January, it had claimed my prostrate, a gland, a 2 1/4 inch section of my uretor and a portion of my bladder and was the size of my fist.. They ended up having to almost invert what was once external to tie things back together internally and left me with a bladder that I swear is about the size of a golf ball :missingtooth:... I never in zillion years thought I would say that I now actually miss being catheridized like they had me for a few weeks after they removed my innards = but gotta say,,, having to pee every 1/2 hour (depending on how much I drink) and getting up at night to do so can be a pain in the neck,, or should I say a pain in the pee-er...

All and all though,, in all reality,,, that cancer ridden tumor was doubling in size every 90 days and I have no doubt that had those amazing Dr.'s not been there for me in my time of need, I KNOW I would be pushing up daisies and not been able to play with my little grandson or even still be here to :stickpoke::stickpoke:.:witch_brew::witch_brew:,:stirthepot::stirthepot: you lop eared varmints so all in all,,, peeing for a living ain't that bad when ya really stop and think about it :happy34::hihi:

I put in some cheap LED spots on the original fog light brackets.

IMG_20180705_175700140_HDR.jpg

I have not had a chance to see if they throw much light at night, but I really only wanted something back in that spot to make me more visible. They are on the original, dealer installed switch and relay.

IMG_20180705_175640479_HDR.jpg

This was a good week for riding to work. Three clear days and another 330 miles on Babe (my blue ox).