IGNORED

What did you do to your venture today?

gggGary

This was a few days ago but I finally have time to post.

I took my Venture out on the road for a run. I left Dallas area at 0400 to spend the night east of Fargo, ND, for a 1200 mile 19 hour ride. Then off to Billings, MT, and down to Colorado Springs for the second night and 1100 miles in 18 hours. This was followed by a 900 mile return to home.

So I completed my first Saddle Sore 3000 (3000 miles in under 72 hours). Had to see if this old fart still had it at 69 and a half.

I got home before dark so I washed the bugs off of the front. I washed and waxed it the next day.

Not being noise but curious of what speed you had to average on each leg of your trip. And if it was slab or two lane? :scratchchin:

Not being noise but curious of what speed you had to average on each leg of your trip. And if it was slab or two lane? :scratchchin:

Most was slab. Unless traffic or construction or rain I went the speed limit most of the time. I did exceed by 5 mph from time to time. That is real mph. Speed limits were for the most part 75 to 80 with some 70. The first leg of 1200 miles, Dallas to just east of Fargo average was 62. Second leg to Billings and down to Colorado Springs of 1100 miles was 59. Traffic and construction was terrible through Denver. The home stretch back to Dallas was 65. These were from first fuel receipt of the day to last so stops counted against my rolling speed.

Certain parts of the day I would get tired so I'd go to the "Iron Butt Motel". That is take a power nap where ever I could stretch out or even sit on the motorcycle. I am getting old. If I felt like I needed to stop to eat a snack or use the restroom I did. I had a Camel Back hydration pack with me. That sure made a great difference. To make things more comfortable I'm working on carrying a one gallon therm filled with ice and a bite tube attached for any hot riding of any kind.

Patted both my gals on the tank and told them that I haven't forgotten about them....then went ahead and put salt in the softener.

My gals sit in the 10 x 14 shed that houses the well head / tank / softener.

Heated in the Winter, and I leave a dehumidifier run year round.

Hell, I haven't had the 87 out in 3 years....don't know how long that Seafoam will hold that gas, but I did start her last Spring, and she fired right up.:confused:

OMG, what is the date code on that tire?? I thought Dunlop discontinued the E2 YEARS ago...

I think I heard that Dunlop is revisting the E2 and making them again because of the demand,, cant remember exactly where I read/heard that but it was within the last 6 months or so...

Not today, but yesterday: I swapped the original factory mirrors back on. The previous owner had put some lame-o billet mirrors on her. They looked nice enough, but were about the size of those little oval motel soap bars. In other words, totally useless.

Bonus - not only are the stockers much bigger, but they give a much clearer picture, as though they are vibrating less than the aftermarket units.

I also changed the oil. I decided to use Rotella T6, both because it has been well reviewed here and elsewhere, and it was on sale for $41 for a 5l jug, vs. $31 for the Rotella T4 dino oil.

I noted an immediate change, and not for the better. The engine and transmission are much louder now, and neutral is harder to find than before.

Fun fact: I asked for a Napa Gold filter - he looked it up and it would be a 1358. They were out of stock, but he pulled the specs on a 1356, and it looked to be identical, other than being about 5/8" longer. Same diameter, thread pitch, relief valve pressure, etc. Before I pulled the old Yamaha filter off, I made sure the length would work, and it would.

However, the filter made hard contact before sealing: the threaded portion is convex, rather than concave. Back on with the old Yam filter; I'll change the filter in the next day or two, and top up the oil again.

I made it into Calgary yesterday, and swung by one of my favourite bike shops for a replacement oil filter.

"Yep, we have lots in stock. Do you want a crush washer for the drain plug too?"

"Sure."

"OK, here you go. The girl at the till will ring you up."

"Thanks." I walk over to the young cutie behind the till.

"That's $27.86..."

WOW! That is by far the most expensive oil filter I've ever purchased. Crazy. I'll spin it on today, and forever cherish how much better it will be than a filter half the price!

Not today, but yesterday: I swapped the original factory mirrors back on. The previous owner had put some lame-o billet mirrors on her. They looked nice enough, but were about the size of those little oval motel soap bars. In other words, totally useless.

Bonus - not only are the stockers much bigger, but they give a much clearer picture, as though they are vibrating less than the aftermarket units.

I also changed the oil. I decided to use Rotella T6, both because it has been well reviewed here and elsewhere, and it was on sale for $41 for a 5l jug, vs. $31 for the Rotella T4 dino oil.

I noted an immediate change, and not for the better. The engine and transmission are much louder now, and neutral is harder to find than before.

Yep...my RSV did the same thing. Went from dino Yamalube 20-50 to Rotella T6 15-40 and she got noisy right off the bat. But after my 4K mile trip, she now shifts smoothly but is still noisy...the Rotella seems to be a good oil. Have to change oil shortly...going to go back to dino 20-50. Just to see what happens with shifting and noise.

Found this stuff: JASO certified! Walmart.

20180519_115937.jpg20180519_115947.jpg

Yep...my RSV did the same thing. Went from dino Yamalube 20-50 to Rotella T6 15-40 and she got noisy right off the bat. But after my 4K mile trip, she now shifts smoothly but is still noisy...the Rotella seems to be a good oil. Have to change oil shortly...going to go back to dino 20-50. Just to see what happens with shifting and noise.

Found this stuff: JASO certified! Walmart.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=113318http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=113319

From what I see on the label it is for V-Twin motors, Air cooled and water cooled, and large bore. I would not use it in my RSV as I think it is too heavy. I used Mobil T4 10w30 and mine started to get some noise and changed to Rotilla T5 15w40 Synthetic Blend and the noise has gone away. No Problem with shifting also.

My 1st Gens have all responded well to and did great on 15/40 cheap Dino here in the ambients of the Mid-West but when it comes to the 100 degree + tempts of the desert regions with its AWESOME no bug riding and AWESOME endless beauty = all of mine have LOVED stirring the 20/50 and had no problem turning it to a water like fluidity by the time 3 or 4k miles were gone and that new Shinko on the back end had turned to black dust accumulated on the saddlebags and was almost ready for change too:big-grin-emoticon:...

From what I see on the label it is for V-Twin motors, Air cooled and water cooled, and large bore. I would not use it in my RSV as I think it is too heavy. I used Mobil T4 10w30 and mine started to get some noise and changed to Rotilla T5 15w40 Synthetic Blend and the noise has gone away. No Problem with shifting also.

I like Rotella...a lot.

BUT for all 3 of my bikes (89VR, 06RSV and 09Vstar 950T (sold)...they all loved Yamalube 20-50 the best. We don't get that cold in the winter to warrant anything "thinner", and we do get a "bit" warm in Spring through Fall. All 3 were quieter and shifted smoothly, even in 100 plus degree heat.

But the only reason I mentioned the above oil is it's price/availability being from Walmart. If it's as good as the Yamalube, then it's worth it by far. Besides it's a product of Mercury Marine...and I've never heard anything bad about their stuff. (Whether they make it or not I don't know). I'm not trying to start an oil war...just wanted the group to know about this stuff.

BTW, I spoke with some people at Yamaha about running 20-50....and they were fine with that. That's what their 20-50 Yamalube was made for...their engines. And the V4 was mentioned specifically as well as their larger VTwins....I assume that's the Strats, etc..

I'll try it and see...then let you all know my thoughts. Another way to look at it is these engine do have some miles on them....

OOPS:

Just noticed: This new stuff is totally synthetic. Well...guess I'll try it and see. Cheaper than Mobil 1...let's see how good it is....

Edited by videoarizona
oops

Back to the topic this morning.

Since I woke up early to see if riding buddy was up for an early morning ride...(wasn't), and since I couldn't go back to sleep...got dressed, put the gear on and decided an early breakfast was in order. So, checked the tires (thanks cowpuc) and they were right where we left them in cowpuc territory.

Off to Rio Rico to Nickels Diner for that omelet of theirs. Pile on goodies, one price. Yum!

On the way home...took the back road....dropped in to see if I could renew my scoots annual National Park Pass (free to humans but scoots pay a teeny fee for a decal). The decal allows you to ride in without digging your pass and ID out. They weren't ready for me...too early.

So just stopped at my usual haunts and took pics for youse all!

Beautiful day....

Santa Cruz Spice Factory.

Quite the place for outstanding spices....even a tasting table that you will regret using after one bite!

But oh so good....they are on-line...just in case.

20180628_074436.jpg

Where I buy my annual passes. Not open yet.

20180628_074702.jpg

Tubac. Tourist trap but really good stuff for the most part. They were still sleeping too....

20180628_075552.jpg20180628_075534.jpg

The scoot ran wonderfully, but MPG's still low around 33mpg. Not much wind on this tank. Before the trip, new oil and filter, new air filters, cleaned and gapped plugs, etc.. So I'm curious what's up. Others have complained about low MPG's but starting, idling and full/partial throttle responses are excellent.

I'm thinking plugs....can't hurt and they are cheap. I'll gap them tight as cowpuc does, since they do tend to open up a bit with wear.

But that's what I did with my Venture this morning!

Oh, forgot... I took the Scorpion EXO 920 helmet out for it's first run on my head. J&M installed their latest speakers and stuff in it 2 days ago. What a nice helmet. Much quieter than my 6 year old 900 it replaces, better airflow too! But the real smile...is the speakers. They are outstanding. Everybody knocks the RSV audio system and yea, the speakers and amp are weak...but through the headphones the system is quite good.

:banana::biker:

Edited by videoarizona
add