IGNORED

What did you do to your venture today?

gggGary

2 days of SUN :225: = 2 days of FUN :7_2_104[1]:.... Took a little over 1300 miles to do it but we managed to pretty much spin off the rest of Tweeksis's back tire so getting ready to flop on her first round for '18 = new $67 Tour Master... Picked up a matching new front tire too as the one thats on her has been thru 4 rears now and its looking the part.. I think someone asked me about getting some shots of the Beads when I swapped tires? If your still around,, let me know if your still interested in seeing tire beads after rolling around in there for a few thou - be glad to oblige..

2 days of SUN :225: = 2 days of FUN :7_2_104[1]:.... Took a little over 1300 miles to do it but we managed to pretty much spin off the rest of Tweeksis's back tire so getting ready to flop on her first round for '18 = new $67 Tour Master... Picked up a matching new front tire too as the one thats on her has been thru 4 rears now and its looking the part.. I think someone asked me about getting some shots of the Beads when I swapped tires? If your still around,, let me know if your still interested in seeing tire beads after rolling around in there for a few thou - be glad to oblige..
Can you show said beads in motion?

Never ride faster then your angel can fly. I am as free as the wind on my face.

Can you show said beads in motion?

Not no more,, I used to be able to see them little bushwackers rolling around inside the tires but since I sent @Dragonslayer back his outfit me eyes dont work right for some reason.. :superman:

Not no more,, I used to be able to see them little bushwackers rolling around inside the tires but since I sent @Dragonslayer back his outfit me eyes dont work right for some reason.. :superman:

Hey PUC

I can send you back the outfit. I'm not using it lately. But I will wear it to Asheville if your coming.

Hey man does that crap actually work I just can't see bring myself 2 Spinning like 10 bucks for a little can of it!

YES! That stuff actually works great. I've used on many applications including some cracks I had on my fiberglass in-ground pool stairs. If you get the can version and not the spray, it works great as a non-slip grip on tools! Just dip the handles of pliers or such in, and let them drip dry.

YES! That stuff actually works great. I've used on many applications including some cracks I had on my fiberglass in-ground pool stairs. If you get the can version and not the spray, it works great as a non-slip grip on tools! Just dip the handles of pliers or such in, and let them drip dry.
Gotta ask would you do what the guy does with the boat? I don't know if I would be that brave....

Gotta ask would you do what the guy does with the boat? I don't know if I would be that brave....

Good question. I like jumping out of airplanes, so I probably would!

Leave it to good ol @cowpuc to have a story!! I would be interested to see what 50,000 miles does to these beads..

Good question. I like jumping out of airplanes, so I probably would!
I am afraid of heights kind of.. I liked climbing trees and rooftops.. But when I looked down I would get woozy feeling at first.. Don't know why, I love roller coasters and the Colosus at six flags. Looking over edges of thing. Love the arch; now put me on top of the arch I bet I would heave... [emoji27] don't know if that makes sense at all. My bucket list has jumping out of an airplane with a wing suit and parachute... While jamming out to this song... But warn anyone with seizures may just want to not watch video but listen to the music.

Edited by snyper316

I am afraid of heights kind of.. I liked climbing trees and rooftops.. But when I looked down I would get woozy feeling at first.. Don't know why, I love roller coasters and the Colosus at six flags. Looking over edges of thing. Love the arch; now put me on top of the arch I bet I would heave... [emoji27] don't know if that makes sense at all. My bucket list has jumping out of an airplane with a wing suit and parachute... While jamming out to this song... But warn anyone with seizures may just want to not watch video but listen to the music.

You don't need a plane snipe!

As Rush instructed on their first album, "play at maximum volume"

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Today I'm pulling the radiator off my 83 to find the 2in PVC spacer dropped somewhere and never hit the floor. I've searched with lights I haven't pulled off the fairing but can't see anywhere where it would be in there. I did pull off the headlamp and vents on the front to look behind to see if it's inside the fairing somewhere but can't find it. I also managed to knock that stupid drain tube off the throat of my radiator again after fixing it 2 weeks ago. Wish I could find a radiator that had one still attached from the factory. This radiator doesn't have any leaks though once that is J-B welded again so I don't want to trade a solid radiator for a drippy one and how do you know until you put it on?

I find the ride to be a little stiff with my Progressive Springs that are in there and the spacer that's about two and a half inches long, can I cut the spacer in half and have it not bang over bumps in the road? (And that's with no air in them like that old lop eared varmint does.) I ordered new Progressive Springs before I found out that I already have Progressive Springs with less than 2000 miles on them in there so I have to return those as well or should I put them on the shelf for next time? How long do Fork Springs last?

I'm also going to start some controversy here by telling you all that I have drained both sides of the fork as completely as is possible with the anti Dives (new o rings throughout both which includes the flat ones in the top that seal the plunger) and drain plugs pulled and it's set for 2 days now with no more dripping. Here's the part you'll scream about but, Yamaha Factory technician told my friend on the phone, "There is no reason to compress the fork to fill them. Just put 400 ml of fork oil in each side and there's no reason to compress and measure from the top. If you are compressing the forks you're just making yourself a lot of work for no reason."

Then I will be closing her up so I can wait for the weather to clear again. Supposed to have a beautiful weekend weather wise so I've got to get this done now and be ready to roll Saturday about 11 when it gets up to 70 degrees.

Oh crud, my new rear Tour Master tire (Maybe 1200 miles on it) is losing about 4 pounds a day when riding and I can't find anything in the tire visually. Can I just keep filling it up or should I endeavor to pull the back wheel for the first time to look for a leak? Should I put some stop leak in it? I'm also thinking I'd like to put beads in it for balancing while I'm at it but you can't use the green goo with beads also can you? That wouldn't make any sense to me...

Edited by s.tyler58

For the rear tire, spray it with some water that has a little dish soap in it and look for bubbles. With the bike on the centerstand, slowly spin the tire while you spray and inspect it. Don't forget to spray the fill valve.

And I agree that if the fork tube has drained completely, just fill with the specified amount. The stroking is to get the air bubbles out of the oil but that seems to me will happen when you start riding the bike. Getting the air bubbles out is needed if you depend on measuring the level.

Nahhhhh,, riding down a full blown touring bike with a flat tire aint that much fun - I'd fix it.. Like Sky said,, couple teaspoons of dish soap in an old windex bottle filled with water, run the pressure to 50 pounds and spray er down. This ol lop eared varmint :rasberry: likes to center stand the scoot, take the valve cover off and check the shrader for air loss first cause Murphy loves to loosen my shraders and then spray the valve (make sure you soak where the valve meets the rim. Now soak the beads on both sides. Now slowly spin the tire while spraying across the tread and keep an eye on the beads and valve.. If that soapy water gets even a teeny bit of air under it it will cause a foam thats almost fit for shavin..

2 1/2 inches of preload on top of those springs? HOLEY PAMOLEY,, that suckers gotta ride like a reverse hardtail.. Those PVC spacers that come with new Progressives were, indeed Ty = made to be cut to length to set the sag that is right for you.. I like 1 inch of preload and I do a fair amount of off hiway playing and even that is 2 up and loaded - cant imagine 2 and 1/2 inches... Cut em down brother.. You should end up with the springs in with the tighter windings in first, the factory shims (washers with edge that fits into the top of the springs and acts like a little cover) next, 1 inch max of pvc preload and then the cap.

Filling from measurement as suggested is fine,, been that way for ever.. Some of us prefer using a syringe and a hose (or a depth guage like Motion Pro makes) to suck em to height but either way works.. Most important is that the tubes end up with the same amount of fluid in em..

:scared:,,, gotta run,,,, I smell FOOD cookin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:innocent-emoticon:

You don't need a plane snipe!

As Rush instructed on their first album, "play at maximum volume"

Not high enough Ty I want at least 30 minutes of flight time where I'm soaring like an eagle... Where I can go into a controlled dive then glide and if anything I happens then have a backup shute..

Rebuilt the rear brake master cylinder and found a hose that needs replaced. The short hose that connects the MC to the steel line that runs to the front end. I'll have to have one made as it is not available through Yamaha or any of the usual suspects.

Also wondering, while enjoying 3 fingers of Laphroig on the rocks if the Old Pucster was having a little fun with the new guy:rasberry:

That cotter pin and clevis did not need to come off the brake lever. I finally got it all off and when I pulled the MC out the rod and clevis stayed right where they were! The MC just lifted up of the actuator rod.

Another lesson learned the hard way!

I'm also going to start some controversy here by telling you all that I have drained both sides of the fork as completely as is possible with the anti Dives (new o rings throughout both which includes the flat ones in the top that seal the plunger) and drain plugs pulled and it's set for 2 days now with no more dripping. Here's the part you'll scream about but, Yamaha Factory technician told my friend on the phone, "There is no reason to compress the fork to fill them. Just put 400 ml of fork oil in each side and there's no reason to compress and measure from the top. If you are compressing the forks you're just making yourself a lot of work for no reason."
No controversy here, there are two ways to properly fill the forks and both will work. Everything coming back from the dealer mechanics always works perfectly....right?

Filling the forks with a specific quantity of oil absolutely depends on them being completely drained of everything including crud that may have built up over the course of perhaps 10-30 years. Draining and then adding some mineral oil or diesel oil then pumping the forks to work out any stuck crud is a good idea. Then add your exactly 400 ml to each side.

Measuring exactly 5" down from the top with the springs removed works as well and is actually more precise than trying to match exactly 400 ml in each side. (And how would that happen? Some of the oil will stick to the container after pouring it in. Accuracy of the measurement will depend on how well you can judge the meniscus. And what might that be, you say. It is the little rise in the liquid surface level at the edge of the container.) Any discrepancy between the two sides will cause handling issues. The bigger the discrepancy, the bigger the issue.

The amount of oil in the forks will affect the suspension. Too much oil will make it stiff while too little oil will make it soft and bouncy. The actual amount of oil in each fork can vary somewhat without causing any significant problems with the ride but having a different amount of oil in each fork will create a noticeable dysfunction.

Nahhhhh,, riding down a full blown touring bike with a flat tire aint that much fun - I'd fix it.. Like Sky said,, couple teaspoons of dish soap in an old windex bottle filled with water, run the pressure to 50 pounds and spray er down. This ol lop eared varmint :rasberry: likes to center stand the scoot, take the valve cover off and check the shrader for air loss first cause Murphy loves to loosen my shraders and then spray the valve (make sure you soak where the valve meets the rim. Now soak the beads on both sides. Now slowly spin the tire while spraying across the tread and keep an eye on the beads and valve.. If that soapy water gets even a teeny bit of air under it it will cause a foam thats almost fit for shavin..

2 1/2 inches of preload on top of those springs? HOLEY PAMOLEY,, that suckers gotta ride like a reverse hardtail.. Those PVC spacers that come with new Progressives were, indeed Ty = made to be cut to length to set the sag that is right for you.. I like 1 inch of preload and I do a fair amount of off hiway playing and even that is 2 up and loaded - cant imagine 2 and 1/2 inches... Cut em down brother.. You should end up with the springs in with the tighter windings in first, the factory shims (washers with edge that fits into the top of the springs and acts like a little cover) next, 1 inch max of pvc preload and then the cap.

Filling from measurement as suggested is fine,, been that way for ever.. Some of us prefer using a syringe and a hose (or a depth guage like Motion Pro makes) to suck em to height but either way works.. Most important is that the tubes end up with the same amount of fluid in em..

:scared:,,, gotta run,,,, I smell FOOD cookin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:innocent-emoticon:

The Schrader wasn't tight! Yay for me! Held 42 lbs for 24 hrs now! (Went ahead and sprayed everything anyway since this stubborn old woman always seems to hit me with two steps backward for every step forward...forehead slap). As many struggles as I've had to get this thing on the road I'm starting to get a little paranoid about whether I'm actually supposed to ride it or not!

Filled the forks by measuring 400 ml. method using a science class type glass measuring beaker which didn't allow any liquid to cling to it. (BEIN'S FORK OIL AIN'T LAUNDRY DETERGENT OR MOTOR OIL) Hope it'll be accurate enough but still not convinced that a few drips off on either side could have any effect. I'll know soon enough though. After dripping out for two days with antidives removed (which are a lot lower than the actial drain holes) and drain plugs out and blowing through my bleed tube through my fingers which covered the top of each fork should have given me level volumes in each tube to start from.

Now I just have 15 hours to wait for 2nd coat of JB Weld to cure on the the radiator overflow tube and I will be CTFW by 11AM Saturday, Cinco De Mayo! Forecast calls for 86 degrees tomorrow

May the 4th be with you all day today!

The Schrader wasn't tight! Yay for me! Held 42 lbs for 24 hrs now! (Went ahead and sprayed everything anyway since this stubborn old woman always seems to hit me with two steps backward for every step forward...forehead slap). As many struggles as I've had to get this thing on the road I'm starting to get a little paranoid about whether I'm actually supposed to ride it or not!

Filled the forks by measuring 400 ml. method using a science class type glass measuring beaker which didn't allow any liquid to cling to it. (BEIN'S FORK OIL AIN'T LAUNDRY DETERGENT OR MOTOR OIL) Hope it'll be accurate enough but still not convinced that a few drips off on either side could have any effect. I'll know soon enough though. After dripping out for two days with antidives removed (which are a lot lower than the actial drain holes) and drain plugs out and blowing through my bleed tube through my fingers which covered the top of each fork should have given me level volumes in each tube to start from.

Now I just have 15 hours to go wait for 2nd coat of JB Weld to cure on the the radiator overflow tube and I will be CTFW by 11AM Saturday, Cinco De Mayo!

May the 4th be with you all day today!

Ok your officially nuttier then me and @cowpuc combined[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] ok ok maybe half but now your getting done here with the bike showing her who is boss.