IGNORED

What did you do to your venture today?

gggGary

Got it, Thanks. But what causes the sync to vary so often if new diaphragms and slides? Worn linkage? Were they finicky like that from mile 1? Why these Yamahas as opposed to other engines? Just curious...

...in the Eternal scheme of things, this isn't even the blink of an eye.

I've never owned one that goes out of sync quickly. I usually sync them every year or so whether they need it or not. Usually then they only need twerking. Just a thought, but make sure your manifold hose clamps are tight. Manifolds = the rubber sleeves between the carb and the head. If you have a leak it will effect the sync. Maybe a leak that developes when things warm up?? Just a WAS...?? I also use a Carbtune. Not the gauge type.

Edited by Condor

I have used all types of instruments for syncing carbs on the 1st Gens (and lots of other scoots too) and actually prefer the 4 gauge setup as long as they are good ones with restrictors for adjusting the bounce on the needles. The carb tune slide tool works good too IMHO but the slides tend to get sticky with use and I dont care to fight that issue so I stick with gauges but that is my preferance. @Condor , as far as balancing side to side,, please take a moment and look at my video below starting at 12:00 where I show how to do left to right balance - is this the area of adjustment that you believe is not adjustable with the gauges?? If this is not and I am missing something, please advise I can correct my syncing advice brother!!!

I also use a Carbtune. Not the gauge type. The trick is on a V4 not only do they need to be balanced front to back but side to side. You can't do that with gauges...

Why not???

As long as you have at least 2 gauges you can do a proper sync, having 4 gauges does make it a LOT easier. It does not matter if the gauge is a dial or a bar that slides up and down or a liquid that goes up and down, they are all still vacuum gauges.

Why not???

As long as you have at least 2 gauges you can do a proper sync, having 4 gauges does make it a LOT easier. It does not matter if the gauge is a dial or a bar that slides up and down or a liquid that goes up and down, they are all still vacuum gauges.

I wonder if that's the lovely autocorrect because he also talks about twerking...[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Never ride faster then your angel can fly. I am as free as the wind on my face.

Well I'll add my two cents here. I've been using a Carbtune for many years. I have had decent success with it and think that it does just fine. I agree with Cowpuc that the sticking is a nuisance but some little taps on the tubes seems to work ok. I admit though that it bothers me that there is really no way to calibrate them. You can test them by hooking each tube to the same carb one at a time to see if they are the same but if not, there is really no good way to correct them. V7Goose never liked the Carbtune and I defended it many times in discussions with him but sometimes I just have to admit that I am wrong.

I don't understand Condor's comment that you can't adjust them side to side and front to back with the gauges. Maybe I'm not reading correctly what he is saying but you can do anything with a good 4 gauge setup as you can with a Carbtune. In addition to that, you can calibrate them easily when needed.

I still have my Carbtune and will probably continue using it but if I were in the market for a new system, I would certainly go with the 4 gauge setup.

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary. :)

OK, after thinking about it a bit..... The Carbtune is also an individual reading.. So maybe I'm all wrong in my thinking... Gauges should work just as well.... I take back everything I've posted... It's an old age thing.... :backinmyday: And I've deleted the posts....

Edited by Condor

Snype gets the Hot Dog on this one Ty = go to 10:55 to see the screw that sync's #2 to #1 ,, and then go to 12:15 on the timeline to see the screw to set #3 to #4 and also the one to set left side to right side - all found in the video below :big-grin-emoticon:

Hey there Mr Puckster.

In your vid you were all cornfused by the cmHg on your gauges.

cm is for centimeters, and Hg is the chemical symbol for Mercury. So your gauges are reading the vacuum in centimeters of Mercury. Now don't say I never learned ya nuttin.

OK, after thinking about it a bit..... The Carbtune is also an individual reading.. So maybe I'm all wrong in my thinking... Gauges should work just as well.... I take back everything I've posted... It's an old age thing.... :backinmyday: And I've deleted the posts....

Right, wrong or indifferent brother:

Hey there Mr Puckster.

In your vid you were all cornfused by the cmHg on your gauges.

cm is for centimeters, and Hg is the chemical symbol for Mercury. So your gauges are reading the vacuum in centimeters of Mercury. Now don't say I never learned ya nuttin.

I have enough problems controlling, maintaining and paying the taxes on the centimeters of Earth that I own so I really prefer to not be to concerned with my centimeters out there on Mercury...

:rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::rasberry:

P.S. = 52 degrees farah facette height here on this side of the pond!!!!!! May just get Tweeks out and hook up the gauges to her and check my centimeters of Mercury brother = White Washer got a thrust washer stuck in its throat? :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::biker::beer:

I have enough problems controlling, maintaining and paying the taxes on the centimeters of Earth that I own so I really prefer to not be to concerned with my centimeters out there on Mercury...

:rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::rasberry:

P.S. = 52 degrees farah facette height here on this side of the pond!!!!!! May just get Tweeks out and hook up the gauges to her and check my centimeters of Mercury brother = White Washer got a thrust washer stuck in its throat? :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::biker::beer:

Nope, weekend is coming.........

Just a restock and reload.............

Went for a ride today to blow the last remaining flu bugs out of my system and noticed a strong scent of petrol emanating from under my feet. Stopped at an intersection and sure enough, gasoline running down the left side case!

Oh well, I needed to pull the carbs to fix the enricher fork I stuck in there backwards the last time I had them apart anyway.

The fuel is coming fro the #3 carb vent pipe so either the float is sticking or the float valve isn't sealing up. They all float checked on the bench and I've ridden around 200 miles since putting her all back together with no issue. I put new fuel line on from the pump to the carbs last time as well.

Took a four hour round trip to Woodford and home again. Flushed and bled the rear brake, repaired a dodgy rear brake switch and all went well. Cruise control is working full time again. Also added some old school highway pegs. Leaving for a 2000km interstate trip tomorrow. 9159fa4a448372ebec0ab3e5a3103050.jpg352997b76678d08505a9105c834fc97c.jpga4109dc62189429e6acaacbbbcc4ebb7.jpgf7c64627953b076159d7298283fcc6b9.jpgc154b2afeb37c690309f408e90e7e43a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Sylvester is on the lift and wheel removal has begun. I need to re-sync the carbs due to a rough engine after I started it yesterday. If the carbs are still in sync, the equipment manager where I work has done a lot of work on Yamaha engines and told me that it could be high speed jets that need tweeking. That being said I think the new Shinko tires will be on Wednesday. All other service is complete. Looking forward to Freebird's MD.

:farmer:

Sylvester is on the lift and wheel removal has begun. I need to re-sync the carbs due to a rough engine after I started it yesterday. If the carbs are still in sync, the equipment manager where I work has done a lot of work on Yamaha engines and told me that it could be high speed jets that need tweeking. That being said I think the new Shinko tires will be on Wednesday. All other service is complete. Looking forward to Freebird's MD.

If ya havent done so, may also drop in some new (stock OEM NGK) plugs gapped at 32 thou (especially if you have been Seafoaming it as SeaFoam has a tendency to glaze the plugs IMHO) and unscrew the plug wire caps and ohm out the caps.. Then clip 1/4 inch of wire off the plug wires before screwing the caps back on..

Took a four hour round trip to Woodford and home again. Flushed and bled the rear brake, repaired a dodgy rear brake switch and all went well. Cruise control is working full time again. Also added some old school highway pegs. Leaving for a 2000km interstate trip tomorrow. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180415/9159fa4a448372ebec0ab3e5a3103050.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180415/352997b76678d08505a9105c834fc97c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180415/a4109dc62189429e6acaacbbbcc4ebb7.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180415/f7c64627953b076159d7298283fcc6b9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180415/c154b2afeb37c690309f408e90e7e43a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

GORGEOUS pics Dav!!!!!!!! Hope your 2000k ride is going just SUPER out there today!!

RIDE ON BROTHER - DO US FROZEN LOP EARED VR VARMINTS IN THE STATES PROUD!!!!!!

If ya havent done so, may also drop in some new (stock OEM NGK) plugs gapped at 32 thou (especially if you have been Seafoaming it as SeaFoam has a tendency to glaze the plugs IMHO) and unscrew the plug wire caps and ohm out the caps.. Then clip 1/4 inch of wire off the plug wires before screwing the caps back on..

Put all new NKG in last fall when winterizing. Carbs were rebuilt last year and sync completed. Bike ran great. I had it out in March and all was good. Will keep this in mind though, thanks Puc. You are one of the members I listen to.