IGNORED

Is life getting in the way?

steamer

Well I am one of the younger O.F.'s I am 64 and still working for the remainder of this year anyhow. I get roughly 5 weeks off a year but I try to plan only two weeks for trips. The wife lost her job last Dec. but dot another one in April but no Vac. this year. So my riding is at a minimum. Money is not too much of a problem as we save what we think we will need for the trips that we plan from one year to the next. The wife can't go but I may show up at the WNY rally.

I guess after reading all of your reply's, all I have to say is.....LIFE SUCKS! sometimes, but not always. So we are going to continue to hit the road when we can and keep chasing that front wheel as long as we can still swing a leg over. It's still more fun riding then sitting on the front porch and watching the world go by. We hope we get to ride or just meet up with all of you before that rocking chair become the only thing we can ride.

Well... I retired three years ago... And then helped my youngest through her last two years of college. Plus my wife of over 20 years and I are getting back together after a 4 year break... Life is good! Now we are working hard at selling her mom's properties, putting the sailboat back into shape for sailing.... and maintaining the house and scoots.

Bottom line... Time and bux are in short supply. Plus Pat's back may well keep her from taking long trips with me... Sigh.

I want very much to take off for a cross country ride... Been many years since I've done that on a scoot! Now it's just a matter of finding the bux and time and making the committment. Like Dion... No one around with time to make a trip with me.

We shall see.... It's on my old fart bucket list!!

:biker::scorched:

What a great thread. Read everyone's responses which made me reflect a bunch. After 52 years of riding, I still get a high from a good ride. I'll admit however that it is not as much fun sometimes, in busy traffic or bad weather. Like for most here, there always seems to be more that we need to or would like to do with the time and energy that we have, which never seems to be enough, and seems to be less each year. In my case, I really relate personally to the sandwich generation thing. Although I lost my father and father in law this year, we still have our mothers (90 and 92), whose care now consumes a bunch of time and energy, not to mention the grandkids thing. And then my wife's doc says she needs less stress in her life to deal with her high blood pressure which caused her to loose some eyesight. I also relate to the point made by many about the aging Venture. In fact, in my case, my 88 VR that I like so much and have made my own was written off by my insurance co this week ($5000 damage on a bike worth half that) and I am not sure I have the energy to restore it myself (I do have Swifty's 86 to start riding). I didn't expect to get into all this when I started my response to this thread, but there it is.

Life changes, nothing we can really do about it, it just happens and happens. Just seems kind of odd that back in 2006 when I joined this group numbers were constantly on the rise, members, gatherings, etc. But as time moved on numbers started to diminish. In 06 at our 1st M&G I think we had about 50 people, this year less than 1\2 that. Slowly the numbers got less, slowly people have been getting older,,,(why didn't somebody tell me), slowly more interests have entered our personal forums, sometimes our health and wel being have taken the forefront, and maybe something we haven't thought about yet: the world is moving fast and we really don't want to get left behind, so our interests are tweaked elsewhere, a little and and a bit there,,,,,and,,,, seeing as we can still only do one thing at a time some things tend to get a lower score on the totem pole of planning and desire.

I see new members come on this site regularly, don't know the numbers exactly, but there are new names popping up now and then, but mostly they are looking for advice and seem to have little need to get further involved, that's OK, they have full lives of other interests.

Times may change again, they may and they may not. One thing or sure, we have a good thing going here that presents a message to the rest of the population: Want some help, WE CAN!

They say sometimes life throws you a curve ball, but then no one ever told me that sometimes life throws you a cannonball.

Health is a major drain on the body making it hard to do many of the things you have loved forever, health also can wreak havoc on a family budget making it fiscally impossible to do all of the things you have done forever.

Since Yamaha has gotten out of the touring bike market many members have moved on to other brands and left this site.

Every time you see a Venture getting parted out that is our user base declining by one. Every crash or mishap with an obsolete Venture is also our user base declining by another one. Because there is no Gen 3 to fill the void, the void just keeps getting bigger.

I know what you speak of Randy, TOD/Vogel attendence was way down the last two years, next year is 50/50 at best. Health and life getting in the way, the bikes both sit in the garage and dont get much road time, and its a shame that it just doesnt excite me like it used to, guess we are getting old.

Yep, my feelings exactly. It seems that the interest in the Asheville Rally is the lowest since we started it. I just told myself that I am going to go camping and if anyone wants to join me, we will thave a good time. Whether it is because of money issues or what, there has been very little expressed interest this year. I hate to say this will be the last Asheville Rally, but it may be, and it would be a shame because we always have a wonderful time.

What makes it even worse for me is my bike is sitting on the carport and was only ridden about 250 miles last year and none this year. The Deka battery will no longer hold a charge and I have a big power drain somewhere and I don't seem to have any enthusiasm for finding it. Now, if Linda and I want to go play, we will take one of the Miatas.

I guess I am just getting old, but I do still like to have fun. :backinmyday:

Randy

Desire, or lack of it, is. Personally I remember when planning a ride was exciting, and something to look forward to, but as the years started piling up, long rides are no longer fun. Several a year dropped to one, and then they were no longer enjoyable. I think we all try to extend our Venture riding, via trailering to and from a gathering or triking the scoot, but at some point in time even these will not be enough. The one thing we can all hang onto are our memories and experiences, and sharing them here at VR.Org.... :thumbsup2:

This thread and Don's thread about not ENJOYING the ride are both hitting close to home.

As Condor says, I used to spend most of the winter planning the next season's long rides. And this past winter was no different. I planned and planned and planned. Ordered maps from all the states I would be riding through. Programmed the GPS (Garmin Gertie) with the route. Deb scheduled her vacation. Made reservations, etc.

But when the time came to join the Venturers in Durango, I opted to take the Explorer and not the Venture.

I felt guilty. I felt like I copped out.

But we had FUN on this trip to Colorado and back home through Texas. There seemed to be an almost daily utterance of "Boy, am I glad we are not on the bike". The non-stop rain. The long, long, boring distances. The freezing and blinding rain as we went over Wolf Creek Pass. The interminable heat of New Mexico and Texas. The anxiety of running out of gas (almost did in the Explorer) with the knowledge that Deb was NOT going to push the empty bike (as she did in Maine).

Bottom line: Long motorcycle tours (after 42 years) are just not fun anymore. If it is not fun to do, why do it?

For us, most of the "events" are simply too far away and mostly south of the border where it costs us appx 30% more.

Anything in the West we try and attend but time off doesn't always coincide.

Soon we'll both be retired and then it will boil down to a lack of money issue. (hopefully some things will change that)

I guess I an the oddball of this group. I still like to ride my bike. I enjoy doing long trips. This year we have not done any real long ones because the events that we attended were close and the wife doesn't get vac. time yet. I have wanted to do Vogel and the PIP but other events took precedence over them. Next year I will be retired and will make those two events if they are held.

I guess I an the oddball of this group. I still like to ride my bike. I enjoy doing long trips. This year we have not done any real long ones because the events that we attended were close and the wife doesn't get vac. time yet. I have wanted to do Vogel and the PIP but other events took precedence over them. Next year I will be retired and will make those two events if they are held.

You're not an oddball Chuck, just to young to feel it yet... :) Back in 2011 I did a Round trip to Cody for the international. Probably 3000 miles in a week. Knew I was having problems, and got off the bike, and had colon surgery in Oct. The surgery was a success, but I started feeling 'old'. After every summer ride for the last 3-4 years leading up to the Cody, I kept saying this one will be my last Hurrah.... Since Cody I've done two VW's to The Dalles OR, and Yreka last summer. The Yreka was an SOB, and put the nail in my riding habits. Father time just has a way of sneaking up on you and slapping you along side the head....

I know I have posted on here before, life is short, and even though you may live longer but we have to realize the days we are strong enough to hold up a bike and ride are even shorter. I am the pastor of a small church in the country, I see life cut short way to often, not that someone has died but something happened that changed their life forever. It maybe as simple as a parent that cannot take care of themselves and goes to live with a son or daughter, now the child is looses some of their freedom because of added responsibility. Many things could happen each day to us that will change our life forever.

So here is my motto and what I tell my church folks, if you have the money and time and want to go somewhere, go. Do not get to the place one day where you are sitting in your house or bed with regrets.

If one of those smart finance people came to my house, they would say sell everything, work more hours, pay your bills off, so you can have something for later years in life. What if later never comes, what if later comes for me but not my friends or family, what memories will I have. Life is a balancing act, yes we need to save for the future, yes do not get into to much debt, but life is short and meant to be lived. I would rather go into the ground looking older and sooner than my time loving life, loving others, and enjoying life than, to be put in the ground at 100, looking good and fresh and having someone say hey doesn't he look so good. I want people to remember me as WOW he cared, he loved, he laughed, he made an impact on my life.

So today I wont check mail to see what bills come in, I will just ride, let the wife worry about bills tomorrow LOL

@Larry1963 ... you have a great philosophy that I totally agree with and share. "Live for today coz tomorrow may never come" is pretty much how I've lived my entire life. Only in the past 10 years have I been "preparing" for retirement but I still live for today.

Being responsible and enjoying life is always a balance of responsibilities and desires. Everybody has their own demarcation between the two. We work to get paid not because it's fun to work but because we need the money to be responsible. The more dependents we have the more responsible we should be. There is an old saying that goes something like, "Everything you bring into your home owns a part of you and if you are not careful, there won't be anything left of you for you". We should remind ourselves of this occasionally and make sure we have some of ourselves left.

@Larry1963 ... you have a great philosophy that I totally agree with and share. "Live for today coz tomorrow may never come" is pretty much how I've lived my entire life. Only in the past 10 years have I been "preparing" for retirement but I still live for today.

@BlueSky I have not prepared for retirement like I should have. I am lucky that I do have a military retirement coming in and I work for the UM church and they have a good retirement program. So I maybe ok.

And we do have responsibilities and we need to be prepared for tomorrow and when we get older. However I know several people that has saved for the day of retirement and died either just before or just after. Like I said life is a balance, to me don't make your life and your family life miserable today by saving every penny just to loose it later or never see the day to use it. Live, enjoy your family and friends today, and save some so you can enjoy them tomorrow too

I am the odd pastor, I tell the folks if you miss a Sunday or two, you are not going to hell, you can worship with your family on the beach or some place.

Being I am an atheist, I could never understand why religious folks had to go to church to worship their God ... in my mind, they should be able to do that anywhere ... but what would I know?

btw, I did attend church and sunday school and summer camp and all that for a while when I was young coz my step-dad's father was a pastor so there was no way we could visit them without doing that.

I never felt that it was a matter of HAVING to go to church. Most Christians go to church because they WANT to. I hope this conversation doesn't get out of hand. We all know the rules here, including me so I probably shouldn't have said anything at all. :(

@BlueSky I have not prepared for retirement like I should have. I am lucky that I do have a military retirement coming in and I work for the UM church and they have a good retirement program. So I maybe ok.

And we do have responsibilities and we need to be prepared for tomorrow and when we get older. However I know several people that has saved for the day of retirement and died either just before or just after. Like I said life is a balance, to me don't make your life and your family life miserable today by saving every penny just to loose it later or never see the day to use it. Live, enjoy your family and friends today, and save some so you can enjoy them tomorrow too

Better to prepare for retirement and die early than not prepare and live in poverty in old age.

My Dad having lived through the depression was too thrifty. He never made much money but he always saved. Our family life could have been more enjoyable if he hadn't been so obsessed with saving money. He passed at age 79. My Mother at 93. Then my sisters got mad at each other because one thought the other got too much of the money left, the one who took care of our Mother and her bank account. I declined to take any because I had not been around to help take care of my Mother. Seems a squabble between siblings is unavoidable when the estate is divided. I suppose that's a good reason to spend it all before you go!!!

Better to prepare for retirement and die early than not prepare and live in poverty in old age.

I'd rather live in poverty than die early any day. What I don't want to do is be old and sick to the point I can't enjoy life ... then I'd rather die.

I suppose that's a good reason to spend it all before you go!!!

Motorcycles are another good reason to spend it all LOL