IGNORED

Venture Tour Pack(trunk) lid

eds

Anyone have trouble with lid cracking along screws attaching backrest? 10 years never had problem, 2nd lid now in 2 years lid has cracked. Screw is not over tightened. I have a suspicion my better half is causing the problem when getting the bike. I'm just not sure why now? Has anyone experienced this and come up with a repair and prevention?

From what I read his problem is at the backrest not the hinges.

I'm not sure which area he's talking about, but in the second sentence he starts talking about the lid, not the bottom. So I just assumed he meant the hinge attachment screws??

Put some masking tape on the painted (outside) site of the hole that has the cracks. Apply some black ABS plumbing pipe glue to the cracks from the inside, put some tape over this side too. Wipe off any glue that seeps out from under the tape. This will fill the cracks and drilling out the holes to proper size should be pretty easy using the hinges or luggage rack as a guide. Another reason the plastic could be cracking is age, it could be shrinking therefore cracking; so filling it with ABS plastic should be a help.