IGNORED

Number 1 Don't suck!!

Ok, Update.

Tried to sync the carbs and I can get #2 ,3&4 pretty close to each other and in the right spot. #1 don't want to hardly pull a vacuum just maybe an inch or two. while the other 3 are along about 9. I will get some starter fluid to see if it's the boot leaking.

Any thoughts?

She's too full of oil also. but she will get out of the way and was running better than she was.

And the fan didn't kick on. All the cylinders were about 180.

Any experience there?

Hmm Goin fishin here. How did the plug in #1 look? Is the cylinder firing? Checking for a vacuum leak is a good start. Take a piece of safety wire or something and make sure the port actually is open. Compression dont tell you everything. At the school I work at, one of our cars has a bad lifter I think on exhaust side, not sure. But it will pump within like 10-15# of the other cylinders, even with a bad valve. Apparently it will suck in enough air thru whatever valve operates. Not saying thats what you got going on, more of an FYI thing.

Buy an infrared thermometer from autozone or harbor freight and check the exhaust temps. #1 may not be firing.

Its definitely firing, i can post numbers tomorrow. I found this issue trying to to sync with vacuum gae sync tool. :-)

Do you mean the slides or the butterflies?

Soaked the outside of the intake boot with starter fluid with no effect. hmm, will go get a hf compression checker tomorrow morn. Post what that is comes out to be.

Thanks

It could also be that the #1 carb is waaaaay out of sync!

This kinda come to my mind also.

The proper sync sequence is:

1. Set idle speed with #2 to about 1000 rpms

2. Sync #1 to #2

Go to the other side of the bike

3. Sync #3 to #4

4. Sync #4 to #2 This brings the right side of the engine into sync with the left side.

If you do it out of order it is nearly impossible to arrive at a good result. Because as you change one out of order another cylinder may compensate with an equal and opposite reaction.

It is entirely possible that your problem is a result of the sync order you are attempting. If you still get no response try backing #4 off quite a bit. You may have to increase the idle to keep it running. If Bongo and I suspect correctly then you should start to see some action on #1. Then follow the above sequence.

This might be a good point to re-begin your troubleshooting... "square 1"

Heather

Exactly Heather!! I've seen similar when you try to sync a 2nd gen with the same sequence as the 1st gen. 2nd gen sync's fronts together, rears together, then front to back. Saw a guy play with the carbs for probably over an hour trying to get it right...

It could also be that the #1 carb is waaaaay out of sync!

Thank you all for helping adjust the nut that holds the handlebars! :buttkick:

#1 was so far out it took a lot to get it in and was holding the idle. Now they're in synch and she runs lots, lots smoother. and kicks it wow. Now to get the tag on and get that first cruise in. Then put the plastic back on so she be pretty.

she needs a little cleaning and tlc.

AND the fan came on!!!! woot woot.:happy65: Now if I can find the temp gauge wire, it'll hopefully work.

Thank you all for helping adjust the nut that holds the handlebars! :buttkick:

#1 was so far out it took a lot to get it in and was holding the idle. Now they're in synch and she runs lots, lots smoother. and kicks it wow. Now to get the tag on and get that first cruise in. Then put the plastic back on so she be pretty.

she needs a little cleaning and tlc.

AND the fan came on!!!! woot woot.:happy65: Now if I can find the temp gauge wire, it'll hopefully work.

Score another for that lop eared varmint @bongobobny!!! :thumbsup::dancefool:

:scared:,, quick,, before he see's this,, right side of the bike under the little cover that mounts on the radiator and directly above the plug wire on the number 4 head you will see the sending unit for the temp gauge.. It will be the first sending unit looking at you - will have a blue wire attached to it - check that connection... :big-grin-emoticon:

Edited by cowpuc

Exactly Heather!! I've seen similar when you try to sync a 2nd gen with the same sequence as the 1st gen. 2nd gen sync's fronts together, rears together, then front to back. Saw a guy play with the carbs for probably over an hour trying to get it right...

Uhm... I guess I better re-sync my friends 2nd Gen.... no wonder I had so much trouble with his.... Thanks for information on that ....

Here ya go KIC, straight out of the 2nd Gen Read Only Tech Library...

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?258-Syncronizing-the-Carbs

I suppose doing them out of proper order, you could EVENTUALLY get them set, I remember weaaaaay back when I first got my 1st gen I was told "just keep playing with the screws until they are all balanced..."

EDIT: And now as I read it, you DO balance the left side, then the right side, and then left to right! So, my previous post is wrong! I do know, however, that the sequence is different with the 1st gens, or at least I think so... Hmmm, time for a little research

Oops, my face is RED!! The sequence is the same for the 1st gen after all!!

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?495-Syncronizing-Carbs

Hmmmm, wonder where I ever got the idea they were different?? Maybe from the error in the factory service manual where the two adjusting screws are labeled backwards...

Edited by bongobobny