All,

I bought a new (Harbor Freight Tag Along) trailer to tow behind my 1986 Venture Royale. Trailer has 1 wire for running lights, 1 wire for right brake light AND right turn signal, 1 wire for left brake light AND left turn signal and 1 wire for ground. The trailer I had been borrowing had 2 wires for the turn signals (right and left) and one wire for the brake lights , one for running lights and a ground wire.

If I try to run a turn signal and brake light on the same wire I'm not so sure it will work, because my '86 uses a separate wire for each turn signal.

Do I need to rewire the trailer or is there an adaptor device that will allow me to keep the stock trailer wiring and not fry my bike wiring?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Bob

Not sure if Steve (M61A1MECH) in the classifieds makes a harness for first gens, but when I installed my hitch and wiring on my 1999 venture I purchased a wiring harness that plugs into the original bike harness without cutting and converts tag wires that you can connect to with your trailer plug wire that goes from a 5 to 4 wire set up. definitely worth sending him a pm he makes a nice harness.

Wiz

The trailer is wired for a different type system. Bikes do have the separate run/brake and turn signal wires. Some trailer that are specifically built for motorcycles have the separate turn signal and brake/running lights but most universal trailers do not. Your choice is to either add separate turn signals to the trailer or buy a convertor that is available at most auto parts stores. Most people buy the convertor. I haven't looked in a long time but they used to run about $45.00 I think.

All,

I bought a new (Harbor Freight Tag Along) trailer to tow behind my 1986 Venture Royale. Trailer has 1 wire for running lights, 1 wire for right brake light AND right turn signal, 1 wire for left brake light AND left turn signal and 1 wire for ground. The trailer I had been borrowing had 2 wires for the turn signals (right and left) and one wire for the brake lights , one for running lights and a ground wire.

If I try to run a turn signal and brake light on the same wire I'm not so sure it will work, because my '86 uses a separate wire for each turn signal.

Do I need to rewire the trailer or is there an adaptor device that will allow me to keep the stock trailer wiring and not fry my bike wiring?

Bob

As WIZ noted above, I make various plug and play harnesses for several bikes, but I have not ben able to find the connectors needed to develop a true plug and play for the First Gens. Dingy and I worked on that for a few months a couple of years ago, but I never found the one 13 or so pin connector needed. However I cab offer this.

Yes you need an adapter that converts the bike's 5 wire system to the trailer's 4 wire system.

They come in two styles,

1) One is a powered isolator / converter, this type takes fused power right from the battery to power the lights on the trailer and has an electronic relay package that sense the input from the bike for the tail lights, brakes, left turn and right turn and illuminates those as required right from the battery. The advantage of this is you are not putting extra load on the bikes original wiring which is marginal at best and if a problem develops in the trailer wiring you do not lose the lighting on the bike.

2) The second is simply a converter package that connects (taps) into the bike's original wires and converts the 5 wire system to a 4 wire system This system works, but I would not recommend it unless the trailer is fitted with LED lights, that way the draw on the bikes harness is minimal.

OK so having said all of that, it sounds like you already have your bike set up with a 5 wire harness, so you could simply put a 5 wire to 4 wire converter in line using the existing plug.

I can provide a plug and play converter that will plug into your existing trailer connector and then plug into your new Harbor Freight 4 pin connector.

If that sounds like something you would like to do, PM me here on the forum or email me through the forum message system and we can discuss exactly what you need and I can work up a quote for you.

Let me know I am happy to help any way I can.

All,

Bob

Here's an option for $13.74 Shipping fast and free. US Seller Of course it's not Plug n Play. You'ld have to add connectors etc.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Pole-to-4-Pole-Trailer-Converter-Wires-Connecter-Harness-Towing-System-16690-/121775631039?hash=item1c5a64aabf:g:mqMAAMXQlrxRafT5&vxp=mtr

converter.jpg

Edited by yamagrl

Just so you know which wire is which, on the Venture, both generations, Yellow is Brake, Blue is Running Lights, Green is Right Turn Signal, and Chocolate (Dark) Brown (as opposed to the lighter Brown which is a hot line with the bike on) is Left Turn Signal. Of course Black is Ground. Perhaps one of the easiest places to get to all of the wires is that 13 pin connector Steve is talking about. It is located under the seat behind the gas tank about in the middle of the rear fender area. It has all the wires for the rear lights going through it as well as all the wires for the CLASS system, the trunk light, etc. It does not have the lighter brown ignition wire so you can't get confused.

The converter Heather pointed out will work fine, but myself I prefer to use the more expensive power isolator type converters which have a separate 6th line on the input that goes to battery power. The great advantage of these types is if your trailer develops a short in the wiring, which sometimes does happen, it will not take out your bike's lights or blow a fuse. It has circuitry inside it that uses the power coming from that extra red wire on the input to power the trailer lighting and not the individual circuits for brake, turn, etc to power the lights. Worst thing to happen is the fuse that you put on the red line pops instead. Hoppy makes a good one of those, they run about $40...

The one that Yamaglr posted above is an example of the non isolating non powered type. Yest it would be easiest to hook up because you just add a 5 pin connector that matches your bike to the "car" side and the other side goes to the 4 pin connector on the trailer.

With that said, I would also agree with M61A1MECH that it is much better to use a powered isolator to run the trailer lights.

Another important feature to look for is that the controller that you get is compatible with BOTH incandescent and LED lights. The HF trailer that you have comes with incandescent lights, once you see how weak they are in the daylight you may want to upgrade to brighter LED lights at some point. The LED conversion will also draw a lot less amps than the stock incandescent will, your bikes charging system will appreciate that. There are still a lot of converters out on the market that have old enough technology in them that they will not work with LED. And there are some that can not handle the amp draw of incandescent.

Of course the other option is to rewire the trailer to be a 5 wire trailer. That is not difficult or expensive to do either.

Total cost will be close to a wash regardless of which way you go.

I just finished wiring up my Infinity and trailer to the five pin connector. I had already wired my Miata and camper to the same five wire setup. I have used the converters before on several vehicles and invariably, I would loose one of the circuits and be down on part of it. The one I used looks just like the four pin, but it is just has one more wire connector. I got them at Wally world and it is not much more than the four wire setup. On my camper and trailer, I added LED yellow turn signals and they work good.

I had used a similar setup on the bike and Travelite camper, but it was actually a six wire rectangle connector.

Randy

As WIZ noted above, I make various plug and play harnesses for several bikes, but I have not ben able to find the connectors needed to develop a true plug and play for the First Gens. Dingy and I worked on that for a few months a couple of years ago, but I never found the one 13 or so pin connector needed. However I cab offer this.

Yes you need an adapter that converts the bike's 5 wire system to the trailer's 4 wire system.

They come in two styles,

1) One is a powered isolator / converter, this type takes fused power right from the battery to power the lights on the trailer and has an electronic relay package that sense the input from the bike for the tail lights, brakes, left turn and right turn and illuminates those as required right from the battery. The advantage of this is you are not putting extra load on the bikes original wiring which is marginal at best and if a problem develops in the trailer wiring you do not lose the lighting on the bike.

2) The second is simply a converter package that connects (taps) into the bike's original wires and converts the 5 wire system to a 4 wire system This system works, but I would not recommend it unless the trailer is fitted with LED lights, that way the draw on the bikes harness is minimal.

OK so having said all of that, it sounds like you already have your bike set up with a 5 wire harness, so you could simply put a 5 wire to 4 wire converter in line using the existing plug.

I can provide a plug and play converter that will plug into your existing trailer connector and then plug into your new Harbor Freight 4 pin connector.

If that sounds like something you would like to do, PM me here on the forum or email me through the forum message system and we can discuss exactly what you need and I can work up a quote for you.

Let me know I am happy to help any way I can.

Hi there. I have the "Curt" powered isolator type converter for my 2005 Venture and I'd prefer to install the connectors on it as to not butcher into the bikes harness. What would these be called? Are they readily available at auto parts stores?

Thanks,

Rob

Hi there. I have the "Curt" powered isolator type converter for my 2005 Venture and I'd prefer to install the connectors on it as to not butcher into the bikes harness. What would these be called? Are they readily available at auto parts stores?

Thanks,

Rob

Rob,

I have never found the bike specific connectors at any auto parts store, they are available on line, but most places have a $25.00 min purchase plus shipping and the the connectors you need will not amount to $25.00.

I do routinely build harnesses for Ventures, I build simple "T" type break outs to full plug and play trailer set ups.

I can supply a break out harness with a 6 pin female connector and the male connector with contacts and a wiring diagram for $20.00 delivered.

If you would rather build your own, PM me and I can give you the web site where I purchase the connectors.

Rob,

I have never found the bike specific connectors at any auto parts store, they are available on line, but most places have a $25.00 min purchase plus shipping and the the connectors you need will not amount to $25.00.

I do routinely build harnesses for Ventures, I build simple "T" type break outs to full plug and play trailer set ups.

I can supply a break out harness with a 6 pin female connector and the male connector with contacts and a wiring diagram for $20.00 delivered.

If you would rather build your own, PM me and I can give you the web site where I purchase the connectors.

You've expended the time and help many on the site from what I've seen so I'd rather support your endeavor. I'm not real versed in this site yet but go ahead and PM me your email as I can't see sent messages. I can send a check or paypal yet tonight for the harness.

Thanks,

Rob

You've expended the time and help many on the site from what I've seen so I'd rather support your endeavor. I'm not real versed in this site yet but go ahead and PM me your email as I can't see sent messages. I can send a check or paypal yet tonight for the harness.

Thanks,

Rob

Rob,

PM sent, I will need to know if you are using a 4 pin or 5 pin trailer connection so I get the correct wiring diagram.