IGNORED

17mm hex for fork tube caps $2.00

yamagrl

I always hate making do unless there is no other option.

But this is a good option in a pinch.

I bought the set from HF for $12 with a 20% off coupon.

Now I have all the sizes so I can speed up the jobs by using an air ratchet on hex drive screws.

http://www.harborfreight.com/9-piece-38-and-12-drive-metric-hex-bit-socket-set-67880.html

Great find!! I looked all over the place when I did mine, and finally shortened a 17mm allen wrench that I found at Sears. I took the short piece and glued it into a 15mm socket. I imagine you could do that to one of these too??

How the heck did you manage to fit a 17mm hex into a 15mm socket? And if you were able to get it in there, why did you have to glue it? Seems like it would be a VERY tight fit.:stirthepot:

It fits right in there. All you have to do is make it a typo.... 'Course Kev, you already knew that didn't ya?? :big-grin-emoticon:

It fits right in there. All you have to do is make it a typo.... 'Course Kev, you already knew that didn't ya?? :big-grin-emoticon:

:thumbsup2::big-grin-emoticon::stickinouttounge::rasberry:

:crackup::crackup:,,, and my pea brain went the other way :doh:,,, for some reason it kept spitting out the typo of 19mm :backinmyday::rotf:

Guest Jamsie

as i work as a fitter/fabricator , i have hex drives from 2 - 24mm, in 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 " , long , short , and ball end.

But for those who do not have a lot of tools this is a cheep alternative for a 1 off tool.

another method is to use a 10mm hex head bolt . which is 17mm across the flats. put 2 nuts on the threaded end and tighten them against each other to lock them .now you got a hex drive of any length you wish , just use different length bolts

• 4 years later...

Here's the version I came up with. 5/8" hex nut (fits 15/16 socket) locked between two 10mm hex nuts on a 10mm hex bolt (fit 17mm socket). I taped it to the socket so I could pull it out of the fork tubes when I used it to hold the dapmners. I didn't have a helper or a lot of extensions so I used bungee cords in the caliper mount holes to keep the forks compressed and zip tied the ratchet to the triple tree. It worked great. Plus no welding required.

20210309_050153.jpg

I just ran a nut the right size to fit the the hex hole in the cap nut ran it on to a bolt tight up against the head of the bolt. then cut the protruding end of the bolt off leaving a 1/16th" of the bolt sticking out past the nut. Finally I pounded that protruding bit flat with a hammer (a ball peen hammer works best if you have one) so the nut could not back off, then simple used it with a socket wrench to remove the cap nut. Cost $0 since they came from my junk box of nuts and bolts.