IGNORED

My son's first bike

Freebird

Not sure what to think about this. I had a few bikes around here when he was younger but he never took an interest. A Honda CT70, Bearcat, CT90, etc. He road them around the yard a few times and that was it.

Suddenly, he wanted a bike. I felt a bit hypocritical but did everything I could to talk him out of it. I even told him that if he would not buy it that I would give him as much money as he was going to pay for it to put in his checking account so basically he could save his money and even double it.

Nothing worked. So I went with him today to pick up his bike. I told him it is about the ugliest bike I have ever seen but it didn't faze him. The good news is that it has been gone through mechanically and runs like a top. It may run TOO good. Would certainly not be my recommendation for a first bike. He has promised to take the riders course though and to practice around here on the back roads for a while.

Obviously the bike is FAR from stock. It is bobbed out. May be best that way because he can't be carrying a passenger on it. So, we will start stripping it down and putting new paint on it. Have to find some side covers also. I guess it started out as an '82 750 Nighthawk. As ugly as it is, I have this strong desire to put a huge knobby tire on the back and take it hill climbing. I guess I've gotten too old for that though..

IMG_0406.jpg

Dang thing had a top speed of 131 MPH in stock configuration.

[TABLE=width: 772]

[TR]

[TD=class: xl24, width: 204]Standing ¼ Mile

[/TD]

[TD=class: xl30, width: 545]13.1 sec / 102.6 mph[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: xl24, width: 204]Top Speed

[/TD]

[TD=class: xl30, width: 545]131.2 mph[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/honda/honda_cb750sc_82.htm

ROCK N ROLL!!! :clap2::dancefool::dancefool: and a HUGE :ice_congrats-vi6886 to you Freebird Jr.!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I did a couple stock Nighthawks and found them to be AWESOME scoots and really fun riders! After spending a goodly amount of time getting a feel for it, have fun out there and ride safe young man!!!

Sr. Bird,,, first thing I thought was 45 on the rake, 18 over springer, forget the side covers and weld on a plunger/hardtail frame but,, yea,,,, dropping two teeth on the front sprocket and tossing on a great big 560 Chin Shing old school knobby would do the trick too :big-grin-emoticon:

Speaking of chain and sprockets brother, take a peek at em with your son - teeth on the rear look worn sharp to me - may be an optical delusion on my end here but the last thing your son needs is to drop a chain - not fun..

COOL SCOOT!!!!:thumbsup:

It does have the tank badges. Just removed them when we got home in preparation of staring the sanding and etc. Also pulled the front fender this morning and going to get it prepped for paint. Probably just try to do as nice a rattle can paint job on it as we can. He just wants it all gloss black. Other than a good deal of sanding on the tank, it should look ok. Thought about just making some side covers out of sheet metal or something. We'll see. Would buy a used set if we can find some reasonably priced. Turn signals aren't working so I'll have to figure that out. Mechanically it is all good. Carbs have been gone through and rejected due to the pod filters. Tank is very clean inside with no apparent rust. Brakes are all good and it shifts very well. Just need to try and get some of the ugly off it. :)

Actually I don't think it's that bad of a starter bike and I betcha he has fun on it for a while before he outgrows it! Before I got my first Venture, ther '84, I was riding a CX650 which was a lot better than the Yamaha XS450 I had for years, but it was the kind of bike that after an hour or so of riding you just had to get off for a while! What I didn't like was the engine heads setting right in front of my kneecaps...

Way Cool!

This guy probably has a few side covers for your son's bike. He is located in Brewton, AL, about 45 minutes from me.

He has Over 3000 bikes, hundreds of 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s Yammis, Kawasukis, Hondas. Only 1 or 2 Mk2s, no Mk1s though. At least the last time I was there about a year ago.

Don, PM me you need help on this end.

Heather

Click the Pic

salvageimag0037.jpg.w560h420.jpg

I always had a motorcycle in the garage and I was relieved that neither of my two sons developed an interest in riding motorcycles. I also almost always had a sporty or fast car and both of them did develop an interest in hot cars.

Don,

I understand the thinking going on when your son or daughter gets the bug, our daughter has been riding for a few years now, she has done the courses for the rider training. The one real good thing, she has always been very steady when riding, maybe that sounds weird, but what I mean, I remember the stuff I did when I was young and starting out riding, and I haven't seen that in her at all. She is now 23, on her 2nd bike, an old 750 Virago that she loves, and in fact this year she is joining me as a riding instructor (she is doing the training part but will soon be a full instructor).

As for your sons choice of bikes, I am kinda partial to the bobbers myself and I am sure with your level headed guidance he will do just fine as a rider.

PS....there is nothing cooler then going for a ride with your child, just make sure he knows that he buys the ice cream at the end of the ride.

Mike

You are lucky, my son wanted and got a Katana 750 for his first bike,,,

BUT he spent numerous years on a dirt bike to learn how to handle a bike perty' well.....

Now he doesn't like the 750 because of the long frame and unability to pick up the front tire more than a foot....

Maybe I had somethin' to do with that part!!!