IGNORED

Progressive Springs

10spd

I just put in the progressive springs last weekend and left my 30 year old seals alone. I would still change the fork oil even though it is fairly fresh.

I'll be sure to do that. I like the 20wt fork Oil. With the new Springs & oilshouldn't have to worry about air then.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Hey Speed, IMHO you may find 20w oil to create a fairly harsh dampening.. Its pretty amazing how much dampening change you might realize in just a small amount of oil weight change. May favorite setup is 3/4 inch preload on the Progressives and 12.5 weight Bel Ray on the forks running no air. I just talked to @ragtop69gs last Friday and I think he mentioned he had gone to 15w on his 2nd Gen. I am almost certain that he said it felt a little on the hard side but was a blast in the twisties - lets see if Raggy chimes in and reality checks me.. I know on my MX Bikes I played with suspention a fair amount, adjusting shim stacks and all that nonsense and 15w was about max heavy for me even on those..

+1 on the no need to rebuild again,, drain the oil, pull the springs, put in the new oil and springs - set the preload to your liking, cap that puppy off and hit the road brother!!

:think:,,, never heard of running a little air to decrease foaming,,,,,,, sounds like a really good idea - may try that Bongo!:happy34:

You are correct Puc, I resealed , put in 1.2 Sonic springs with 15W fork oil. I don't recall spacer size at the moment. I did pay attention to pre-load and sag while setting it up. It does ride a little stiffer than stock but not harsh by any means. I find it to be an excellent change, I've never been so confident in the handling of the bike as I am now. Some of this confidence can be attributed to the B.F. Goodrich T/A Radial I now run on the rear and 130 Michelin Commander II up front. I did also grease the neck bearings and swing arm bearings too. Both sets still had factory grease and looked good, repack and go. Next time my money tree is overgrown I'll be upgrading the rear shock.

When I did the Progressives on the '83 I went to 15wt with about half of the PVC preload that Progressive supplied. Basically just cut one tube in half. Something that no one mentions is the stock preload metal tubes have washers in the end that look like a 'bowler' hat. They will fit in the end of the PVC, and need to be used. I also kept the anti-dive hooked up. Still ran the air at max psi. Turned out to be the best riding bike of the stable.

A super brace on the forks makes a big difference in handling also.

When I did mine I found it stopped it from "snaking" in tight corners at speed.

Agree on the Super Brace !!! A big improvement in Handling, Well worth the money, ( If you do not already have it

installed )