IGNORED

Changing to a LED Headlamp

Changing the headlamp to a LED headlamp: Just waiting for my package to arrive.

LED.JPG

Was able to acquire a 2009 broken headlamp assembly for 25.00. Followed instruction found here http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?498-Headlamp-Replacement and http://venture.eurekaboy.com/headlightmod.htm about removing the broken lens.

I will post before, during, and after pic.

I received the lamp yesterday:

LED Lamp.jpg

Started the mod on the old headlamp frame:

first cut line.jpg

After the first cut I did a quick look and test fit, come to find out need to cut more. Was trying to keep as much of the old housing as possible:

2nd cut.jpg

After some cleaning a round the the cut edges, I did another test fits and I will need to remove some tabs on the led lamp a total of 9 tabs:

cut the tabs off.jpg

Need to go shopping for more grinding wheels for my Dremel:

Everything finally got done today and installed on the girl again.

Tabs grounded down smooth:

tabs grounded 1.jpgtabs grounded 3.jpg

Test fitting to make sure everything fits:

trimmed back to fit.jpg

Time to paint the back and the mounting hardware:

painted.jpg

Led light attached to the mounting bracket:

attached to mounting bracket.jpg

The girls front before and after. I really look the the new look.

before.jpgafter 1.jpg

Next will be LED passing lamps.

Thanks, we are trying to get off work Saturday and drive up for the day. As it looks right now I have off but my lady is having a hard time finding someone to cover for her, so I might be coming solo. I have/had the HID and LED in the girls old lamp bucket. I just wanted a better looking light and somewhat brighter.

My new RSV has HIDs in the headlight and passing lights and they seem to work very well. I've read many posts here though about the trouble people go through to make them work properly and I can tell you that the fist time I have any issues with the HIDs, they will be replaced with LEDs.

I found some and ordered a pair off of ebay today and should be here next week.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-30W-4-5-inch-Cree-LED-Harley-Motorcycle-Daymaker-Auxiliary-Fog-Driving-lights-/361250657595?hash=item541c37953b:g:lnIAAOSw3mpXL-W5&vxp=mtr

Do they make the 4 1/2" running lights also.

If I did make this change I would have to change the running lights also.

Brian

Took a early morning ride today and love the output, every sigle car that passed flashed me. LOL Glad I did this change, now I am going to do the passing lamps.

I got mine from ebay:http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-MOTORCYCLE-BLACK-PROJECTOR-DAYMAKER-HID-LED-LIGHT-BULB-HEADLIGHT-For-Harley-/161879974964?hash=item25b0cc6434:g:uiAAAOSwBahVSCEm&vxp=mtr

How do you like the low/high beam output from it?

Do you have a link on where you got it?

Took a early morning ride to work and just love the output of the new light, every car flashed me. LOL I am glad I did this change, now I am going to replace my passing lamps. The light itself is much whiter and brighter than what I had before, it that illuminates the rode mush better and even along the sides of the rode.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-MOTORCYCLE-BLACK-PROJECTOR-DAYMAKER-HID-LED-LIGHT-BULB-HEADLIGHT-For-Harley-/161879974964?hash=item25b0cc6434:g:uiAAAOSwBahVSCEm&vxp=mtr

How do you like the low/high beam output from it?

Do you have a link on where you got it?

What would you think about the following.

7" Led Headlight & Bezel> Question if you think it would work without much modification?

Looks like it comes with a headlight bezel?

Comes with the two 4 1/2 passing lamps! Wondering if these will fit in our passing lamps

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Daymaker-Projector-Headlight-Passing-Lights-Mount-for-Harley-Electra-Glide-/331725118902

Brian

If every single car flashed you, that is not a good thing. That is a very bad thing.

First thing you must do is to aim that light correctly. If the beams cut off is so bad that it can not be aimed correctly, then it should not be used. Brightness does not blind oncoming drivers, poor aiming will. Do you really want to be blinding something that is coming at you with a closing speed of over 100MPH and is way heavier than you. Most people when being blinded by bright lights close their eyes and hope for the best, it is the natural reaction of the eyes to protect themselves, not to mention that you just wiped out their night vision so they will be blinded for a few minutes whiles their eyes readjust.

I have never yet changed a headlight and not had to make some adjustment to the aiming.

My truck has over 300 watts of HID lighting which is many times brighter than your LEDs and I have never been flashed, but I took the time to aim them all correctly.

Sorry for the rant, improperly aimed lights are a pet peeve.

Please, if you are going to do it, do it right.

If you are going to at Dons MD I will be happy to help you get the aim correct.

• Like 1

Yes I truly agree with statement, and I was adjusting the headlamp last night and even this morning. When I put everything back together I attached the the brackets using the same numbers of turn as when I removed it.

If every single car flashed you, that is not a good thing. That is a very bad thing.

First thing you must do is to aim that light correctly. If the beams cut off is so bad that it can not be aimed correctly, then it should not be used. Brightness does not blind oncoming drivers, poor aiming will. Do you really want to be blinding something that is coming at you with a closing speed of over 100MPH and is way heavier than you. Most people when being blinded by bright lights close their eyes and hope for the best, it is the natural reaction of the eyes to protect themselves, not to mention that you just wiped out their night vision so they will be blinded for a few minutes whiles their eyes readjust.

I have never yet changed a headlight and not had to make some adjustment to the aiming.

My truck has over 300 watts of HID lighting which is many times brighter than your LEDs and I have never been flashed, but I took the time to aim them all correctly.

Sorry for the rant, improperly aimed lights are a pet peeve.

Please, if you are going to do it, do it right.

If you are going to at Dons MD I will be happy to help you get the aim correct.

I think modifications will still be needed on both the light and the headlamp bracket to made them work.

What would you think about the following.

7" Led Headlight & Bezel> Question if you think it would work without much modification?

Looks like it comes with a headlight bezel?

Comes with the two 4 1/2 passing lamps! Wondering if these will fit in our passing lamps

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Daymaker-Projector-Headlight-Passing-Lights-Mount-for-Harley-Electra-Glide-/331725118902

Brian

• 5 years later...