IGNORED

interchangeable fuel pumps?

Ugh......I've about had it with my new 88 VR....If its not one thing, its another.

this morning heading to work, the bike just quit running...Rode 200 miles yesterday and all was fine..today 5 blocks from home..stops and had to be pushed back home...up hill....

Will start, but give it any gas and it stalls..starving for fuel..Click the on/off switch and the pump seems to click for much longer than usual....7- 1o seconds, then stops clicking....do it again and the same thing...just not getting fuel to the carbs...

just had the carbs all cleaned and done professionally a few weeks ago, so that's not it-- has been running like a charm

just put a new fuel filter on 3 weeks ago when doing a spring tune up.

Seems like it's not getting gas to the pump...Will have to check out tonight after work, ....but in case...I have an extra pump off my 84...

My question...Are the pumps off the early first gens the same as the pumps off an 88? Are they interchangeable???

Does anyone know the location of the gas tank vent...where it is located and where the tube runs???....I filled the tank to the brim last night for a long ride...wondering if the tank is not venting, and i'm getting a type of vapor/ vaccum lock?

Does anyone know the location of the gas tank vent...where it is located and where the tube runs???....I filled the tank to the brim last night for a long ride...wondering if the tank is not venting, and i'm getting a type of vapor/ vaccum lock?

The fuel tank vent on the 1984 is a hose connected to an elbow to the right of the fuel filler. In line with hose is a rollover valve. Remove the right sidecover to examine or orient the rollover valve. The rollover valve is a check valve, intended to prevent fuel from escaping in the event of a "rollover" or tip over. The check valve has been known to stick. At least one time, the operator reported that he overfilled the fuel tank. The check valve prevented the fuel from running onto the ground but it also allowed a sufficient "head" of fuel over the check valve that the tank could not vent properly. The hose exits in front of the rear tire (along with the carb vents/overflow).

Fuel tank vent and rollover.jpg

Hey Chocking,, sure as beans sounds like the one way valve in the tank vent went on vacation.. Last time I had that happen it was while traveling cross country on a beat up old Venture I pulled the right side cover (opposite side of fuel pump location) removed the one way valve sitting right on the down spar of the frame, took the body of Bic Ink Pen (white plastic tubing) and spliced the hoses together - WORKED AWESOME and kept us from dieing in the desert :big-grin-emoticon:..

Could also be a plugged petcock...

Speaking of plugged petcocks,, you ever pull the cover that the sending unit that hangs down into the fuel tank is attached to and look into your tank? If its not the tank vent and ends up being a petcock problem - pull that cover (its under the seat) and take a peek - may have a bunch of stuff in your tank causing issues..

Ugh......I've about had it with my new 88 VR....If its not one thing, its another.

this morning heading to work, the bike just quit running...Rode 200 miles yesterday and all was fine..today 5 blocks from home..stops and had to be pushed back home...up hill....

Will start, but give it any gas and it stalls..starving for fuel..Click the on/off switch and the pump seems to click for much longer than usual....7- 1o seconds, then stops clicking....do it again and the same thing...just not getting fuel to the carbs...

just had the carbs all cleaned and done professionally a few weeks ago, so that's not it-- has been running like a charm

just put a new fuel filter on 3 weeks ago when doing a spring tune up.

Seems like it's not getting gas to the pump...Will have to check out tonight after work, ....but in case...I have an extra pump off my 84...

My question...Are the pumps off the early first gens the same as the pumps off an 88? Are they interchangeable???

I went through this and finally bought a new fuel pump and no problems since. Ebay had new ones for 75.00 a few weeks ago but for some reason they are $500.00. I used and aftermarket one, it's not a direct fit but works great.