IGNORED

Stator cover removal

Does anyone know how to deal with the gear shaft when removing the stator cover from a 1983 yamaha venture. How do you remove the gear shaft in the bottom right and corner to take the stator cover off? Pulling hard doesn't seem to be the option because I am going to to damage the rubber boot from the shifter linkage.

Also the cover is captured by alignment dowels and gasketed so it may take a couple light smacks with a rubber mallet to break it loose. It sometimes also helps to pull outwardly on the cover and then tap lightly on the shift shaft to keep the cover working outwardly. Watch your cover screw removal - they are different lengths and one of them on the bottom has a copper washer - put em back in right places. When you pull the cover you will probably find the starter idler gear laying in the bottom of the cover,, dont be alarmed - it just slides back into the case and and is in perfect alignment with the doweled cover.

Also the cover is captured by alignment dowels and gasketed so it may take a couple light smacks with a rubber mallet to break it loose. It sometimes also helps to pull outwardly on the cover and then tap lightly on the shift shaft to keep the cover working outwardly. Watch your cover screw removal - they are different lengths and one of them on the bottom has a copper washer - put em back in right places. When you pull the cover you will probably find the starter idler gear laying in the bottom of the cover,, dont be alarmed - it just slides back into the case and and is in perfect alignment with the doweled cover.
Mine was on the garage floor Puc!!

From memory the idler gear can be placed back on the shaft incorrectly?, both "faces" are machined slightly differently are they not? Puc, anyone?

Your batting 100% with my memory here Kiwi - GOOD THOUGHT - it does seem like the outer end of the shaft that would go into the case may have had more of a bevel on it, or something like that... Seems like there was also a thrust washer involved too - now ya got my head swimming brother - think I will take a peek on a parts fisch somewhere as I am also going by memory here...

Something else here Kiwi,, I cant help but wonder if I may have been misleading in answering the original posters question.. @Nate, if your still following this thread,,, if you look carefully at the picture Z posted you can see the shift lever pointing downward in front of the foot peg. Look closely at the shift lever and notice the linkage adjustment screw hanging downward still attached to the shift lever. Unseen in the picture is the clamping end that slides over the shift shaft that is shown in the picture at about 4:30 off the flywheel.. What Z mentioned is absolutely right on target - you simply remove the bolt on the clamp that attaches to the outside splined end of the shift shaft (maybe a small screw driver nocked into the slot on the clamp to open it just a little) and slide it off.. Also not a bad idea to take a mental note of the position of the clamp on the shift shaft (small alignment punch marks with prick punch work GREAT for this) to get the realignment correct is not a bad idea.. Removing the cover after removing the clamp is fairly straight forward - with out removing the clamp could be really problematic...

Does anyone know how to deal with the gear shaft when removing the stator cover from a 1983 yamaha venture. How do you remove the gear shaft in the bottom right and corner to take the stator cover off? Pulling hard doesn't seem to be the option because I am going to to damage the rubber boot from the shifter linkage.

On my '84 it was a simple matter of removing the E-clip at the end of the shift shaft, along with the washer. The cover should slip off one the shaft after that. In addition to the good advice already provided, someone on this forum made an excellent suggestion on making re-install of the cover go very well. Locate or buy four hex bolts of the same size and thread specs as the ones that hold the stator cover in place, but longer, about 6.5 cm. Saw off the heads and round off shop edges with a file. When you get ready to re-install the cover, screw these bolts in a diagonal pattern into the engine block. You can then use them as guides to slide the cover on, and over the shaft. Otherwise it's a pain in the arse because of the magnetic in the rotor.