IGNORED

WINDOWS 10 HI-jACK

Yammer Dan

During the night Windows 10 installed itself!! What the **** ?? Can't find a lot of things. Gone forever I guess. Been my luck lately. If I don't answer things or respond as I should its just that I cain't find it or didn't get it!!! Or I just don't like ya!!!:backinmyday::Avatars_Gee_George: Really ticked me off this morning!! Could have gone to garage and kicked that 2nd Gen!!:Avatars_Gee_George::mugshot:

WINDOWS 10 SUCKS!!

LOL - sorry....must have been self inflicted ! If you were running Windows 7 or 8 a little icon would have popped up on the bottom right of your screen saying you were eligible for a Windows 10 update. If you said yes....well....ya did it to yourself !

I find Windows 10 to be similar to Windows 7. No one liked Windows 8 but if you had it, Windows 10 is far easier to work with. Runs faster than Windows 7 and 8.

Just make sure that if you were running an anti-virus like McAfee or anything else that you uninstall it and use the one that comes with Windows (Security Essentials/Defender - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/security-essentials-product-information#tabs1=overview). You might have to enable it but get rid of your other antiviruses as they or running two at the same time will slow it down.

The update should have left all your programs installed and not wiped anything.

Yeah, windows 10 is force installing itself on all windows 7 and 8 computers starting today. Users can not stop the install if they have the windows updates with the proper install files for windows 10. We disabled windows updates last year in my home. Sorry you got hit Dan.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Windows 10 ain't bad, I like it. Probably the best Windows yet. A lot of nice features. Takes a little getting use to where things are. Settings are very easy to see and change. When I built my new machine I had to install Windows 8, hated it! Jumped at the chance to upgrade to Windows 10 when it first can out. Even updated my wife's Windows 7 to 10, she likes it too. Have two other Windows XP laptops that will not run Windows 10, one I killed the wireless internet connection, uninstalled all TCP/IP stuff (so I don't get hounded on how old it is) and use it as a game machine for the grand kids that love some old PC games on it. The other I use as my travel computer, installed Linux on it. Runs great and no big deal if it gets stolen or broken.

OK I was under the understanding that, with the update, you could revert back to your original OS if you choose. I may be wrong about this, sometimes I am wrong!

That being said, I updated from 7 to 10 shortly after they came out with it. There was a slight learning curve with the transition but overall it was fairly simple, and there are a couple of features I thought were nicer. However, like you Dan one of my installed games, Bejeweled3 will not load any more!! But, seeing as how I played the he!! out of it and had all the badges you could win, I really didn't care that much! There are probably other programs on my computer that might not work any more either but hey, if I haven't used them in years, so be it! Bejeweled is still on my computer, but when I click it, it does not load.

I've switched to playing games on facebook, but be warned, many of them although free, end up requiring you to "buy" money or tokens in order to really accomplish anything! But of course you already know that by playing "Island Experiment, don't you Dan!!

OK I was under the understanding that, with the update, you could revert back to your original OS if you choose. I may be wrong about this, sometimes I am wrong!

I believe you get one month to revert back to your prev OS ... but I could be wrong... I was once before. :smile5:

For those who haven't upgraded yet, you CAN stop it from forcing the upgrade. You just have to go to the Windows update site and remove it. I honestly like it better than any windows version that I've used in a long time though.

Yep, Dan...feel your pain. Many local friends have had issues "finding" things...but once they found them...they were happy campers.

Since I'm stuck on 7 Pro for a while longer I'm not sure if 10 has an emulate mode...ie...where you can run older games/programs in an older OS mode within 10.

Maybe someone can chime in on that. But I do know you can revert back to the older OS you were running within a limited time frame.

Call Microsoft...or send them an email from OS10 itself...

My computer switched to 10 also. It was a little hard to figure it out and I did loose a couple things that would not work on 10. I lost Tyre to Travel and HD Ride planner. They still work independently but will not work with each other like before.

After successfully stopping the Windows 10 install I too found that one night it just installed it's self. I didn't really want it and got prompts from Microsoft to comment on Windows 10. I basically said they should be put in jail for doing this to my computer. Well at the time I did not know about the option to revert back to Windows 7 within 30 days so I made new rescue disks and put them away for safe keeping. Last week I was surfing the net and opened a story on Yahoo "I gave a homeless man a 100 dollars and followed him". I got the blue screen with a pop up box that said my computer had been locked. I quickly went to the task manager CTRL ALT DEL and stopped the Edge browser. Fired it back up and the same blue screen and popup. Went to the system restore thinking to revert back to a previous day would get rid of it. The restore took forever and of course failed. To make a long story short I tried every option Windows 10 offered and finally had to take the one where it reloaded Windows 10 but killed all my files and programs. Well I thought all was well and good only to find out Windows 10 would not let me load any of my programs back since most were for Windows 7 and below. So beware of the almighty Microsoft! I finally had to reload a clean install from a Windows 7 from a disk I had. Thank goodness it did not ask to be activated since the disk was for another machine. So after many frustrating days I finally got my computer back. I mainly lost most of my favorites from Explorer and a few files and pictures I hadn't backed up yet. Oh and by the way my wife's Sony Vaio ran so bad and would hang up all the time on Windows 10 I had to completely rebuild her's. And of course her rescue disks would not work either to reload. A lot of frustrating time all for Microsoft to dominate the market!

Several weeks ago I got this email from the corporate office. Now due to the fact that my work computer doesn't need to access to the client software at the home office, it really didn't affect me and I upgraded to Wndows 10 anyway, with their OK. For those of you who have not upgraded and don't want to though, this would prevent the automatic upgrade.

Microsoft is going to be more aggressive forcing windows users to update to the newest version 10. Unfortunately in our environment, our critical Client Access software will not run if windows 10 is installed over it. Therefore please do the following to curb the upgrade from installing on your PC.

1. Start -> Type in Windows Update and select the search option from the list. This should open the Windows Update dialog box. From there you can select "Change Settings". A new dialog box will open.

2. Below Recommended updates make sure the selection box is unchecked. This will prevent Recommended updates from installing along side of Important updates. Click OK to apply the settings. You can now close out of Windows Update.

Same thing happened to me about December. I also posted on this forum in a previous thread. I will link it if I can find it, may contain some advice.

(found it: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?116780-Windows-10-Install )

So, yep, woke up in the morning with a "welcome to W10" screen. I had to let it finish.

I like it. Also, the problems I was having with screen freezes from W7 IE are gone.

But, my screen is so similar to W7,,, there is not much to miss.

IF your desktop looks like a tablet instead of your old desktop you can change that quick. (Tablet is that dumbass tile window from W8.)

Click the START window bottom left. Click SETTINGS near the bottom. Click the SYSTEM icon. Click on TABLET MODE. and,,,,, turn that sucker off.

Microsoft has a nature to screw up every other OS. This one is good.

For those who haven't upgraded yet, you CAN stop it from forcing the upgrade. You just have to go to the Windows update site and remove it. I honestly like it better than any windows version that I've used in a long time though.

I'm still running Windows 7 pro, and have bee thinking about going to 10 voluntarily. Lately I can't get windows 7 to even update. Don't know what the 'H' is the problem. Figured it was about time. Can't even get PITA I.E. to work. So have switched over to Chrome. Chrome seems to be faster, with no problems. How will 10 effect Chrome??

Also when I go to the update page I don't see anything that refers to 10?? Is there another URL to use??

I have installed W10 twice and both times did the revert back. First time I found out my printer wouldn't work on W10 so I went back. I found a work around for that. Second time I lost all my stuff. All my pics and files were nowhere to be found. Reverted back to W7 and they reappeared. I did a backup of all my files and will try again if it doesn't do it for me automatically.

Hey, you can always buy a Mac...

God, I LOVE my Mac!!!! 6 Years ago I finally got sick and tired of all of the Windows crap and I bit the bullet and purchased my Mac. Best thing I ever did! I have never ran an anti-virus, and it still runs perfect. All of Apple's updates have been seamless. It's 500GB unit, and we have filled it to 350GB with 20,000 pics and a bunch of other stuff, and the dang things still runs just as fast as the day I bought it. I'll never go back.