I posted a little while back about this, and I've made some progress. I was having tranny issues so I did an oil change and previous to that threw some SeaFoam in the case for about 20 miles, it seems to have cleared things up quite a bit, while as earlier I could only shift If I toggled the back wheel back-n-forth, and pressed crazy hard, now I shift with almost no effort if the bikes moving. My question then is three-fold.

1. Is it normal that when you go into gear from start that the bike jerks forward a little bit even with the clutch in? it's kind of sounds like a big "CLICK" puts the gear in place a jerks a bit as it does so. Is that normal? I've never had a bike that does that

2. Why is that I can almost never get into first when I'm not moving? 2nd's usually ok, but 1st refuses to go unless I rock forward a bit, is that normal?

and

3. It probably sounds like a stupid question to you guys who are so familiar with Ventures, but where's the air filter on this bike?

Thanks!

James

I posted a little while back about this, and I've made some progress. I was having tranny issues so I did an oil change and previous to that threw some SeaFoam in the case for about 20 miles, it seems to have cleared things up quite a bit, while as earlier I could only shift If I toggled the back wheel back-n-forth, and pressed crazy hard, now I shift with almost no effort if the bikes moving. My question then is three-fold.

1. Is it normal that when you go into gear from start that the bike jerks forward a little bit even with the clutch in? it's kind of sounds like a big "CLICK" puts the gear in place a jerks a bit as it does so. Is that normal? I've never had a bike that does that

Yes, some of that is normal. There is some drag in the clutch so parts in the transmission will be moving when you're in neutral. When the gears come together that motion causes a bit of a clunk (click is shifter mechanism locking into place) and the bike will jump a little.

2. Why is that I can almost never get into first when I'm not moving? 2nd's usually ok, but 1st refuses to go unless I rock forward a bit, is that normal?

What you are describing is typical for a motorcycle that is not running. When the engine is running the motion I mentioned in #1 should let the gear dogs align and pull together. I can think of some reasons the transmission parts might not be moving but your first question makes it sound like they are.

and

3. It probably sounds like a stupid question to you guys who are so familiar with Ventures, but where's the air filter on this bike?

It's under the false fuel tank. If you open the fuel fill door you will see a screw. Remove that screw, slide the cover forward a bit to disengage the tab at front and the cover will lift off. The air box is behind the battery - 4 screws hold the lid on. The filter is under there.

Thanks!

James

Also, please note what year your bike is when asking a question as sometimes it does matter.

I found that when I start my 83 that with it running at idle, if I pull the clutch in and blip the throttle, it will usually break the clutch loose where it is sticking and will go into gear without jumping.

Randy

I agree with Carl, but I might also add that from my perspective as I read your post, that you should refresh the clutch fluid and make sure it's bled properly]

yeah that

Does it feel like it is trying to move with the clutch in or is it just the initial jerk then totally free.

Try walking it backward while the engine is running and in gear with clutch in....that will really emphasize if there is any drag.

If there is any...bleed the clutch.