IGNORED

Carbtune Usage (A success!)

Guest Dareman

Guest Dareman

I ordered a Carbtune Kit last week and it came in on Friday.

I used it today on my 06 Midnight Venture after doing the 8,000 mile service.

The Carbs were way off!

It took me about 30 minutes but they are now synched.

What should I expect now that the carbs are running in synch?

I was getting abiut 35 miles MPG before the 8,000 mile service.

I changed Spark Plugs as well.

How often do I need to do a synch?

The kit was rather expensive.

If there is anyone in or near Southern AZ thats needs a synch done, please feel free to contact me.

I am in Bisbee, AZ which is in the far Southeast corner of AZ on the Mexican Border.

PM me or send me an email at dareman1@cableone.net.

:bobby:

One of the best investments I made. I have a 02. I synch the carbs about two time a year. My findings are sometimes there out and sometimes there not. Most of the time there off just a little. I fine that the bike idles smoother and performs better.

Like others, I check mine about 2 times a year unless I'm feeling more vibration then normal. A good indication of vibration is your rear view mirror. If the car on your tail looks blurry then check your sync.

Once set they shouldn't need to be adjusted very often, if they are way off from your last sync then I would start looking for a problem. The money spent is well worth it.

Guest Dareman

Did just over 100 miles today.

Initial MPG is up considerably!

I went from about 34MPG to 40MPG!

This was my 8,000 mile service. I have also increased my tire pressure to 45PSI Rear tire and 40PSI front tire. Stay Tuned!

I really appreciate all of everyone's help. This forum is better than any advise I have been getting from the dealership.

The head mechanic at the dealership told me the carb synch only served to make the bike idle better and little else.

Wait until I see him again! I will surely let him know how off base he was!

You should check your sidewall recommendations. I would run 50psi, the max, on the rear if I was running a motorcycle tire. My metzler called for 50 psi and it had 7000 miles on it and a plug in it and still had more to go. I always kept it at 50 psi.

I just finished replacing my intake manifolds (they were cracked and ugly but apparently not cracked all the way through - which, had I known, I wouldn't have replaced them), checking valve gap (didn't need to adjust), checking timing (again, didn't need to adjust) checking idle (once again, already good once reaching operating temp) and tuning carbs (WOW they were way the hell off) on my 99 RSV with 32k mi (just bought it). The difference I saw was pretty striking. There's a (roughly) 1/8 mile strip of road near my house. It's just slightly uphill but surrounded by flat dirt. Not much chance of anyone or anything being in the road (including random x-band frequencies). Before the carb tune I got 0-86 MPH in the 1/8 mile. After the carb tune, 0-102 MPH in the 1/8 mile. HUUUUGE difference. While this is not how I normally ride it's nice to know what kind of giddeyup your mount is capable of in a pinch.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
I just finished replacing my intake manifolds (they were cracked and ugly but apparently not cracked all the way through - which, had I known, I wouldn't have replaced them), checking valve gap (didn't need to adjust), checking timing (again, didn't need to adjust) checking idle (once again, already good once reaching operating temp) and tuning carbs (WOW they were way the hell off) on my 99 RSV with 32k mi (just bought it). The difference I saw was pretty striking. There's a (roughly) 1/8 mile strip of road near my house. It's just slightly uphill but surrounded by flat dirt. Not much chance of anyone or anything being in the road (including random x-band frequencies). Before the carb tune I got 0-86 MPH in the 1/8 mile. After the carb tune, 0-102 MPH in the 1/8 mile. HUUUUGE difference. While this is not how I normally ride it's nice to know what kind of giddeyup your mount is capable of in a pinch.

Cheers.

Take the old intakes and give them a good coat of Liquid Tape on the out side and keep them handy!! Will be almost as good as new.

This is something I made for myself, then decided to post a couple years ago. I'm sure it was lost in the "crash". Synchronizing your carbs is a breeze with this sweet little tool. A word document with instructions, and a pictorial of the top view of 1st Gen. carbs is attached to this post. (If I did this right) I have an '88 Venture Royale, and it can be done in 10 to 15 minutes.

I saw you sync a few guy's 2nd Gen. carbs at the Alabama M&E in the DQ parking lot. It did not take you long. Do you have detailed pictured instructions as to how I would go about doing this? I am about to order a CarbTune and would like to be able to jump right in and sync mine as soon as I get it. I'm sure it will come with instructions but you know what men think about instructions; who needs them?

I saw you sync a few guy's 2nd Gen. carbs at the Alabama M&E in the DQ parking lot. It did not take you long. Do you have detailed pictured instructions as to how I would go about doing this? I am about to order a CarbTune and would like to be able to jump right in and sync mine as soon as I get it. I'm sure it will come with instructions but you know what men think about instructions; who needs them?

Here is the tech article http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=258

See the second post in the article for pics.

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered mine on the 5/1, got it 5/9, used it 5/11, what a difference it makes. My carbs were off quite a bit. They are all in tune now and you can definitely notice a difference in the throttle response. Haven't received my tach yet so I'll re-check after that comes in, but I'm going to assume (and I do know what that usually means, from previous personal experience) that the idle was pretty close to where it's suppose to be. But just from this initial adjustment, idle is smoother and as I said before, throttle response is A LOT sharper. I'll put a few miles on the bike in the next few days and find out about the gas mileage. Easy to do, took me about 15 minutes, what a great investment. Got to figure it will pay for itself after a couple of tune ups.

• 8 years later...

just a dumb question how much does one of these carbtunes cost... I bought a MotionPro Syncpro For $80 and used it once and this year I went to check my bike and well It sucked the fluid straight up and out of it.... well almost i shut the bike of in time... but this was back in April... i know they need synced up just a bit but want a good Sync to be able to use more then once.... this is also the second one i got the first one did the same thing when i got it.... and i followed the instructions to a t and watched the video on it too... I have heard alot of good stories about mercury based but something about there now outlawed in the US or something to that effect... I followed the link to see how much they are but all i can pull up is the UK one...