IGNORED

Starter Relay

Just got thru installing the second starter relay on my 1999 Venture 1300 TDF. It is located under the battery box on the left side. The problem starts with bike shutting down when riding or idling. Turn the key on and of and it starts up. Managed to get it home. Pulled the battery and battery box, checked all connections. Found the connections on relay loaded with corrosion, the entire relay was corroded, the plastic had holes in it, could look inside it. Installed new one, problem solved. With in 6 or 7 thousand miles same thing happened. Have been using a sealed battery, no signs of battery acid running down to the relay. Has any one run into this problem and has any suggestions on how to stop the corrosion build up on the relay.

Replaced the Starter relay yesterday and used dielectric grease on all the connections. Took it very a ride today and the bike shut down on me twice. Tomorrow I will pull the tank and check the connections on the ignition switch. Tried to restart the engine with the key still on---crank no start. Turned the key of then on---started right up----leads me to believe the switch is acting up. Will keep every up to date. Thanks for the feed back