IGNORED

Broke gun collector....

Condor

Since being in the firearm industry back in another life time, and now reaching an advanced age, over the last 4-5 years I've started collecting 'interesting unusual' rifles. Not old WWII clunkers. Never could get into military stuff, but rifles that were also good lookin'. In the last 2 months I ran into 4 interesting guns. Two I needed out of necessity :whistling: and two because I was smitten. The first was an 1890 Winchester 22 pump... because I had one of the later Model 62A's. Smitten. The second was a 338RUM Remington 700LS. Need. The third was a Rossi 454 Casull lever action. Need. And the forth is another Remington 700BDLcustom in 30-06 that matches my 7mm RemMag custom. Smitten. I have to pick up the Rossi after the 10day is up this Saturday, and I'm afraid to walk into the store. Saw a beautiful custom mauser actioned 264 WinMag that was whispering in my ear that would absolutely drain the gun kitty. The kids have all said that if the poop hits the paddle they are all heading to my place.... :backinmyday:

Sounds like some nice finds.

But you know the rules.

:worthless:

Unfortunately my addiction is not limited to just rifles. I like hand guns just as much. There are a couple on my short list just waiting for me to find one so that I can break the bank. I do not get guns just for presentation, all of mine are regular shooters. If I find I am not using one enough it needs to have a new home. I have a couple in that boat right now.

I have a couple of old Swedish Mauser's. One is very highly customized by me with zero help from any gunsmith (I love taking things apart and making them better than they were) it has a custom barrel that I bought a rifled blank and turned my own chamber threads and taper, bolt was reworked for scope clearance, completely different safety system, custom hardwood stock, a real trigger and accurizing work done everywhere I can find, and a weatherproof finish for deer hunting. This one started life as a gun that the owner hunted with in November in a pouring rain, put the wet gun into its case to go home, and when he got home the cased wet gun went up into the rafters in the garage, and stayed there until the next hunting season. The rust was so thick that you could not see any light at all thru the bore. By the time I got it cleaned out the rifling was barley visible as slightly rounded humps. It shot ~22 inch groups at 100 yds.

On a good day, if I am doing my part (that does not seem to happen often anymore :backinmyday:) the gun will put 5 shots inside of a dime at 100 yards. There are a lot of deer that are not happy with that gun.

Sounds like some nice finds.

But you know the rules.

:worthless:

Unfortunately my addiction is not limited to just rifles. I like hand guns just as much. There are a couple on my short list just waiting for me to find one so that I can break the bank. I do not get guns just for presentation, all of mine are regular shooters. .

I'm not much of a pistol guy, but I do have a Colt Trooper in 357 mag, and a S&W auto in 9mm. One of my criteria is all my guns have to shoot -AND- look good. I do have a 1944 Brno 22F copy of a Manlicher Schoennar in 7x57 in mint condition. Full stock, mauser action, double set triggers, butter knife bolt handle, iron sights only. Never been drilled for scope. Beautiful condition. How about a Safari Grade Ruger #1 in 7x57. Or a Remington Model Seven in 222rem (disc). Never fired, but will... :-) I do have a fetish for Remington 700's. Have 3 plus the 338 RUM.

I counted 17 firearms the last time I added one, and none of them are for sale or trade.

Here's a pick of the Rossi 454 Casull. I'm picking this one up Saturday after being in purgatory for the 10 days. I'd been looking for one used in 20" to save a few bucks, but no luck. Then the owner contacted me with this stainless. Granted it's a 16" but after handling it I was sold. I was almost ready to pop for a new one. I could get one shipped to my FFL dealer for $583. The stainless was $600. However it had been gone through by Stevez Guns and it was butter smooth...better than new.

2016-03-15 11.51.55 (Medium).jpg

2016-03-15 11.52.08 (Medium).jpg

Edited by Condor

I used to be as bad as you guys. There was a time, it's been at least 25 years ago, that I had somewhere around 80 guns. A mix of rifles, shotguns and handguns. Went through a divorce and they disappeared. Never was into the antiques but had some nice ones. Everything from Ruger Blackhawk revolvers, Ruger International .308 rifle, several various Remington 700's including a 30.06 BDL that kicked like a mule but oh so accurate, Browning BLR .308, Marlin .444, Winchester 30/30, a couple of Remington 870 Wingmasters, a Colt Trooper .357 nickel plated..........lots more. A few I would mind having back but just never got into collecting them again.

I am in the market now for another handgun. I bought a Sig P938 a while back. It is a 9mm and I love it. Great size for a carry gun. I plan to buy something for the wife and as much as I like the Sig, I may let her have it and pick up something else for myself. Heck, I may just buy another one just like it and we'll have a matching pair. :)

thumb_IMG_0157_1024.jpg

I miss my Rem Model 7 stainless in .243. Sold it to a friend for his kid to use to get into deer hunting. I still want it back.

I have to put scopes on everything, my eyes are to bad to use irons. I do better from the hip than I do with irons.

I am so glad that WI just got rid of the waiting period. I can now buy and head straight to the range the same day.

Your lucky Jeff. Wish they'd get rid of it here in the Kingdom of Kalifornia. I can understand Don amassing 80 guns in Texas. There are a few states out there that still respect the Second Amendment... My Ex got the boat, the house, the truck.... I got the toothbrush.... Those were tough times.

Back in the early days I used to love to go to the local American Legion turkey shoots - I also LOVED shooting dynamite there too. I had a Bull Barreled Remington 700 .22 - .250 back then that loved range work and it did a fine job. There was a large group of WW2 Vets who I got to know there, I could sit around after a day at the range and listen to those guys talk war story's for ever - really really interesting group of take no crap from nobody but give ya the shirt off their backs kind of folks - my hero's .. I started going regularly to gun shows with a couple of those guys - one named Bob (who's daughter I almost married) and I used to do a LOT of Gun Shows here in Michigan,, always dragging some kind of iron home.. Always carried a few purchase permits with me so I could tote home hand guns at will too - it's amazing how much simpler things in the "gun" world were back then.

When the Chinese 7.62 x 39 SKS's were selling brand new at the show's for 80 bucks a pop and crates of that junk ammo could be snatched up for 65 bucks a crate I grabbed a couple of of them and a few cases of junk ammo just to go out and shoot cans, pine cones and make noise - about all the stuff was good for.. Later, after things started changing for the worse in our Nation's right to keep and bear arms and those junk SK's started getting scarce it seemed like everybody and their brother was looking for em.. I took my now wore out SK's with their pretty little 20 round mags I had replaced the 5 round mags they had came with and went to gun show - toted em around the gun show with a For Sale sign on stick that was stuck down the barrel.. Hadn't gone very far and a guy stopped me - pealed off my asking price in cash..

By that time Tippy had long since proven her love for Hunting and Shooting. She was never shy about deboning venison quarter panels while helping me process deer. Her and the kids all loved to shoot and hunt too.. While I was meandering thru the gun show after selling the SK's it dawned on me that I hadnt done nothing nice for Tip in a couple days.. While walking past a vendor table I noticed this little Coach gun staring at me.. I bent down, picked it up and started petting it across its twin chambers.. Kind of a cute little snake eyed critter..

While standing there listening to the little coach gun begging me to take it home with me and getting over it's shear rugged beauty I finally returned to thinking logically.. Tip was well trained with our hand guns and I always feared for any person who broke into our home because of it.. Not that I have ever had much use for bad guys but, quite frankly, that Lady of mine always had this nack for just pointing, shooting and hitting what she was looking at and I really never wanted to see someone, even a crook, get killed..

While I stood there glancing the light of the gun show auditorium against my thumbnail and glancing down the barrels to check for corrosion it occurred to me how ominous,, down right intimidating, looking down those twin 12 gauge barrels really was.. The thought then occurred to me that I could take 75 bucks of the 400 dollars the guy had given to me for the SK's, buy ol Snake Eyes, give Snake Eyes to Tippy as a gift to let her know how much I love her and maybe save some crooks life and send em scattering just by looking down the shipping end of ol snake eyes,, possibly even scare em enough that they would have second thoughts about sneaking into someones house ever again - win, win, win and win!

Logic won out and here is proof!!

DSCN2504.JPG

DSCN2494.JPG

DSCN2510.JPG

DSCN2500.JPG

Hi @Condor , Love your new Rossi! I'm very jealous as I have a soft spot in my heart for leaver action guns, especially in stainless, wow she is pretty!!! Lately I have been adding the "Mare's leg" variety to my gun collection. Just like Steve McQueen used to carry in "Dead or Alive" TV show. Imagine trying to wear one of these in a hip holster like he did on the show! Here are a couple of my latest lever additions, a Henry and a Rossi.

IMG_2337.jpeg

Also for fun I built a nice little "Gopher Sniper" rig over the winter.....nothing beats a simple day of plinking with a good ol' 22LR Ruger.....but with a few upgrades of course!

IMG_2187.jpeg

As you may know, I'm Canadian:63:, and our gun laws are a tad bit different then what you American's have:325:.......takes a lot of jumping through hoops to be a responsible and legal gun owner up North...... especially if you want to own and collect "Restricted Weapons" which is fancy language for (hand guns or a firearm with a barrel length between 4.134" and 18.5") and it requires me to have an additional license, additional training, and qualification exam prerequisites. No such thing as a "Carry permit" up here, let alone "conceal" for a civilian. Also @Freebird, no possibility of owning a small "purse gun" as anything under the barrel length of 4.134" is classified as "prohibited" in Canada and you go straight to jail for being in possession of one. But I believe it is worth going through all the Canadian red tape and being in compliance, as I enjoy a day at the range almost as much as a long ride on a motorcycle on a nice sunny day.

Thanks for sharing your gun pic's!

Here's a pick of the Rossi 454 Casull. I'm picking this one up Saturday after being in purgatory for the 10 days. I'd been looking for one used in 20" to save a few bucks, but no luck. Then the owner contacted me with this stainless. Granted it's a 16" but after handling it I was sold. I was almost ready to pop for a new one. I could get one shipped to my FFL dealer for $583. The stainless was $600. However it had been gone through by Stevez Guns and it was butter smooth...better than new.
Edited by VanRiver

Hi @cowpuc.....Nice coach gun and great story to go along with it! You are such a lucky man to have a loving wife that appreciates a fine gift like that! Unfortunatly my wife does not appreciate such gifts or finer things in life that go BANG!

One other suggestion for Tippy if she needs more then 2 shots to scare the poop out of a "bad guy", is to get her "The Judge". Shooting 6 rounds of 410. shotgun shells from a handgun is a very "different" and "interesting" experience both for the shooter and possible recipient! But "The Judge" won't fit in Tippy's purse unfortunately...here is a pic of my "Judge" next to my Smith and Wesson Model 10 police special to show a size comparison.

IMG_2162.jpg

Back in the early days I used to love to go to the local American Legion turkey shoots - I also LOVED shooting dynamite there too. I had a Bull Barreled Remington 700 .22 - .250 back then that loved range work and it did a fine job. There was a large group of WW2 Vets who I got to know there, I could sit around after a day at the range and listen to those guys talk war story's for ever - really really interesting group of take no crap from nobody but give ya the shirt off their backs kind of folks - my hero's .. I started going regularly to gun shows with a couple of those guys - one named Bob (who's daughter I almost married) and I used to do a LOT of Gun Shows here in Michigan,, always dragging some kind of iron home.. Always carried a few purchase permits with me so I could tote home hand guns at will too - it's amazing how much simpler things in the "gun" world were back then.

When the Chinese 7.62 x 39 SKS's were selling brand new at the show's for 80 bucks a pop and crates of that junk ammo could be snatched up for 65 bucks a crate I grabbed a couple of of them and a few cases of junk ammo just to go out and shoot cans, pine cones and make noise - about all the stuff was good for.. Later, after things started changing for the worse in our Nation's right to keep and bear arms and those junk SK's started getting scarce it seemed like everybody and their brother was looking for em.. I took my now wore out SK's with their pretty little 20 round mags I had replaced the 5 round mags they had came with and went to gun show - toted em around the gun show with a For Sale sign on stick that was stuck down the barrel.. Hadn't gone very far and a guy stopped me - pealed off my asking price in cash..

By that time Tippy had long since proven her love for Hunting and Shooting. She was never shy about deboning venison quarter panels while helping me process deer. Her and the kids all loved to shoot and hunt too.. While I was meandering thru the gun show after selling the SK's it dawned on me that I hadnt done nothing nice for Tip in a couple days.. While walking past a vendor table I noticed this little Coach gun staring at me.. I bent down, picked it up and started petting it across its twin chambers.. Kind of a cute little snake eyed critter..

While standing there listening to the little coach gun begging me to take it home with me and getting over it's shear rugged beauty I finally returned to thinking logically.. Tip was well trained with our hand guns and I always feared for any person who broke into our home because of it.. Not that I have ever had much use for bad guys but, quite frankly, that Lady of mine always had this nack for just pointing, shooting and hitting what she was looking at and I really never wanted to see someone, even a crook, get killed..

While I stood there glancing the light of the gun show auditorium against my thumbnail and glancing down the barrels to check for corrosion it occurred to me how ominous,, down right intimidating, looking down those twin 12 gauge barrels really was.. The thought then occurred to me that I could take 75 bucks of the 400 dollars the guy had given to me for the SK's, buy ol Snake Eyes, give Snake Eyes to Tippy as a gift to let her know how much I love her and maybe save some crooks life and send em scattering just by looking down the shipping end of ol snake eyes,, possibly even scare em enough that they would have second thoughts about sneaking into someones house ever again - win, win, win and win!

Logic won out and here is proof!!

Edited by VanRiver

Hi @Condor , Love your new Rossi! I'm very jealous as I have a soft spot in my heart for leaver action guns, especially in stainless, wow she is pretty!!! Lately I have been adding the "Mare's leg" variety to my gun collection. Just like Steve McQueen used to carry in "Dead or Alive" TV show. Imagine trying to wear one of these in a hip holster like he did on the show! Here are a couple of my latest lever additions, a Henry and a Rossi.

Also for fun I built a nice little "Gopher Sniper" rig over the winter.....nothing beats a simple day of plinking with a good ol' 22LR Ruger.....but with a few upgrades of course!

As you may know, I'm Canadian:63:, and our gun laws are a tad bit different then what you American's have:325:.......takes a lot of jumping through hoops to be a responsible and legal gun owner up North...... especially if you want to own and collect "Restricted Weapons" which is fancy language for (hand guns or a firearm with a barrel length between 4.134" and 18.5") and it requires me to have an additional license, additional training, and qualification exam prerequisites. No such thing as a "Carry permit" up here, let alone "conceal" for a civilian. Also @Freebird, no possibility of owning a small "purse gun" as anything under the barrel length of 4.134" is classified as "prohibited" in Canada and you go straight to jail for being in possession of one. But I believe it is worth going through all the Canadian red tape and being in compliance, as I enjoy a day at the range almost as much as a long ride on a motorcycle on a nice sunny day.

Thanks for sharing your gun pic's!

Nice looking levers Van. I do have a Win 94 in 30wcf that satisfied my lever itch. The only reason I went with the Rossi is they were the only ones that produced a 454 Casull rifle, and that I could afford. There are several company's that make reproduction side arms, but I couldn't even imagine pulling the trigger on one of them. There are quite a few for sale on the used market.... Hmmm wonder why?? :-) Another reason is I bought 6 boxes of 454 in an auction, and nothing to shoot them in. Same thing on the 338RUM. 360 rounds of custom loaded Safari grade. Ergo the Stainless Remington 700LS.

One other suggestion for Tippy if she needs more then 2 shots to scare the poop out of a "bad guy", is to get her "The Judge". Shooting 6 rounds of 410. shotgun shells from a handgun is a very "different" and "interesting" experience both for the shooter and possible recipient! But "The Judge" won't fit in Tippy's purse unfortunately...here is a pic of my "Judge" next to my Smith and Wesson Model 10 police special to show a size comparison.

I've read about the Judge for many years but have never had the opportunity to hold one in the wild. Never realized they were that big.... From the first ad hype, I got the impression they were small and would fit in a purse.... You know the one showing a woman in an underground garage whipping out her Judge from her purse...and scaring her stalker off... Maybe they make two sizes???

rem700.338RUM.1 (Medium).jpg

rem700.338RUM.2 (Medium).jpg

Edited by Condor

I have the same affliction. That's why I'm currently in the market for another safe.......

Yep, me too. Started out with a 5 gun, then picked up a 10 gun. I now have a 14 gun out in the bed of the pick up. Had to go bigger to handle all the stuff I have hidden under the bed, behind doors, and under the couch. Luckily I pick them up in estate auctions for cheap, and have more money to shop.. :mo money: