IGNORED

At a Crossroads

garyw

The ride to and from the International in St. Charles last year really took a toll on the wife and myself. I don't know if it was fighting the weather and cross winds or maybe just getting older (it must be the weather!) but we were pretty beat. We starting thinking about ways to make the long trips easier. First we thought of a trailer for the bike but without a vehicle to pull it and no room to store a trailer that was not a good option, besides it kind of defeats the purpose of the trip. Then we thought maybe a trike kit. Instead we decided last fall to test drive a Can-Am Spyder. It was comfortable with plenty of power and a smooth ride. We almost pulled the trigger on it but just could not get over the feeling of being thrown off taking corners and how sensitive the steering was in general. What to do what to do, a couple of weeks ago it was a beautiful Saturday and we were able to test drive a Polaris Slingshot. It was love at first ride! I can now understand why @Carbon_One loves his so much. Larry had his in St. Charles and it really got me thinking. One of the most attractive aspects of this for us is that the state of Illinois has designated the Slingshot as an "Auto-Cycle". Not sure exactly what an Auto-Cycle is but it does not require a MOTORCYCLE LICENSE which means the wife can also drive it. With her being able to give me a break for a couple of hours here and there our range just increased dramatically. We will now be able to visit places that were thought to be out of reach for us before. And by the way, it is a freakin blast to drive and an open air feel that rivals the bike and that is exactly what we were looking for. So yesterday I bundled up and took the RSV to the dealer and now we have this for our very own..

..P1010020 (Custom).JPGP1010021 (Custom).JPGP1010022 (Custom).JPGP1010023 (Custom).JPG

Thou we are now Ventureless we will always be Ventureriders!

Gary

That I pretty cool! My aunt has one also. I'm sure my wife would like it also. probably would feel more secure when inclement weather hits when your out. I am pretty sure some day I will do the same.hopefully they keep making them and the government wont stick their noses in Polaris's slingshot business. Are You guys going on the 3rd annual Rootbeer run in June? Hope to see you at a few rides.

Welcome to the Slingshot world Gary. After having mine for over a year now I know I made the right decision buying ours. Ya I still miss my 09/ Hannigan trike at times but the comfort in the Slingshot overcome having any second thought. What year is yours? 2015 or 2016 year model? No real differences between the years thou. Polaris has been addressing a few bugs in the early 2015 model so the 2016's should be trouble free now.

Have fun with it and hope we cross paths this summer. I plan on going to the International and Mike's Root Beer run. Also the Canadian rally in Ontario, some of CowPuc's Hot Dog meets, and Don's MD, and who knows where else we'll end up.

Larry

Edited by Carbon_One

Those things REEK of fun!! I always thought they looked like a modern day roller coaster (like the Raptor, Batman or something like that) that cut itself loose from its rails in order to sneek off and go out seeking adventure.. We have seen a number of them out and about now that they have been in production for a while and gotta warn ya,, people driving them are usually being followed by all kinds of Paparopsees and Mamaheadturners - sorta like movie star status on three wheels if you will...

Congrats Gary!! Hope the two of you have a BLAST out there with your new Sling - come on up for a Hot Dog sometime - be GREAT to have two movie stars (sounds like that Carbon One is coming back for more Dogs too:clap2:) show up this year!!

Saw some pretty tricked out ones @ Daytona this year the day we were up there. Custom paint, complete roof, custom seats lights OH MY lights. Have fun with it. Just on a inquisitive note, how is the storage on those? Thats one thing I have not checked out when I have seen them. I know the motor is up front so how much storage?

Very nice...........

Your post made me check to see if we could buy one in Ontario yet! Last I had looked back in early February the laws were still in the works. So I checked again and as of March 1st 2016 we now can. There are some weird rules.....see my thread I posted on this.

Congrats!

Saw some pretty tricked out ones @ Daytona this year the day we were up there. Custom paint, complete roof, custom seats lights OH MY lights. Have fun with it. Just on a inquisitive note, how is the storage on those? Thats one thing I have not checked out when I have seen them. I know the motor is up front so how much storage?

Have only had it for a day but by the look of it the storage behind the seats is larger than the RSV saddlebags but all said and done it seems to be a bit less. However, I have seen pictures of Sissy Bar bags on the roll hoops. That would provide more space than we will ever need. Thanks for asking, Garhy

That looks way cool!!!! However, I gotta question. After looking at the specs on one of these things I couldn't find any listing for leg room. So for those that have them, What kind of seating space do they have for a big fat guy?? As far as stowing it when not in use, I have an 8x14 enclosed that would make a great mini garage.... Plus one more. Is there any way to pull a trailer with one?? That to me would solve the storage issue...

That looks way cool!!!! However, I gotta question. After looking at the specs on one of these things I couldn't find any listing for leg room. So for those that have them, What kind of seating space do they have for a big fat guy?? As far as stowing it when not in use, I have an 8x14 enclosed that would make a great mini garage.... Plus one more. Is there any way to pull a trailer with one?? That to me would solve the storage issue...

I'm 6' 3" and 270 lbs. For me the passenger side is a bit cramped but behind the wheel is just fine with plenty of leg room, need to notch up the seat to be comfortable pushing the clutch in fully. Rivco and Bushtech make hitches for the Slingshot.

I'm 6' 3" and 270 lbs. For me the passenger side is a bit cramped but behind the wheel is just fine with plenty of leg room, need to notch up the seat to be comfortable pushing the clutch in fully. Rivco and Bushtech make hitches for the Slingshot.

our good friend carbon one makes hitches for the slingshot too!