IGNORED

83 VR, forks leaking badly, what to buy to fix..

Hey all, I hope you're getting your Ventures ready for the riding season. I am.

I've noticed for quite a while that my front forks are leaking fluid badly around the dust seals. So obviously, I'm thinking the oil seals are gone. But my question is, should I replace anything else other than the oil seals and the dust deals? I guess what I'm getting at, are there any guides that keep the struts in alignment internally that I should be concerned about. I don't feel that there's any slop up there, but I thought I would ask.

I've got 63,000 miles on it.

There is a bushing under the fork seal that also wears out. If you click the link below you will see it listed as part 5 - 41. That 5 - 41 basically represents part "5" and part "41" because there are two of them. http://www.yamahapartsnation.com/oemparts/a/yam/5004247cf8700209bc787e42/front-fork Its always good to check these bushings for slop when you get it apart and they are not under tension.

Also, the stock fork springs are not of best quality. I have yet to have a set of stock springs that werent sacked by 30k on all my 1st Gens. Sacked springs are hard on seals too (IMHO). Its a REALLY good idea to drop in a set of Progressives if yours are sacked - I like 3/4 inch of preload on my Progressives and never use air after swapping em out.

I also like 12.5 weight Bell Ray Fork oil for the refill - gives a good ride.

Totally agree with the Pucster:backinmyday:, no point not replacing everything you can. On my latest set of forks in order to upgrade the brakes after just rebuilding a set of 83 forks over the winter. Shoulda thunk it all out before doing all that work, c'est la wee.

On the three sets I've taken apart there was another bushing, although it's called a piston. It's not on the '83 diagrams but it is on '84 and up. It's # 36-73 on the '84 diagram. I ordered those also, we'll see when the parts arrive if it's actually that bottom bushing. I'll let you know.

There is a bushing under the fork seal that also wears out. If you click the link below you will see it listed as part 5 - 41. That 5 - 41 basically represents part "5" and part "41" because there are two of them. http://www.yamahapartsnation.com/oemparts/a/yam/5004247cf8700209bc787e42/front-fork Its always good to check these bushings for slop when you get it apart and they are not under tension.

Also, the stock fork springs are not of best quality. I have yet to have a set of stock springs that werent sacked by 30k on all my 1st Gens. Sacked springs are hard on seals too (IMHO). Its a REALLY good idea to drop in a set of Progressives if yours are sacked - I like 3/4 inch of preload on my Progressives and never use air after swapping em out.

I also like 12.5 weight Bell Ray Fork oil for the refill - gives a good ride.

Good info, thanks for confirming what I was already thinking. I'm thinking next Tuesday I'll start to take the front end off and start this project, thanks for the input.

Totally agree with the Pucster:backinmyday:, no point not replacing everything you can. On my latest set of forks in order to upgrade the brakes after just rebuilding a set of 83 forks over the winter. Shoulda thunk it all out before doing all that work, c'est la wee.

On the three sets I've taken apart there was another bushing, although it's called a piston. It's not on the '83 diagrams but it is on '84 and up. It's # 36-73 on the '84 diagram. I ordered those also, we'll see when the parts arrive if it's actually that bottom bushing. I'll let you know.

Yes please, do let me know what you find. I'm going to pull apart the forks and take a look at everything and inspect. Thanks for responding.

• 2 weeks later...

What great responses. You folks sure can come up with the pics and videos to help solve a question.. So I've inspected all my components and found them to be in good working order. I only replaced the oil and dust seal and so far so good, no leaks and a better feel in the front end.

Now my only issue is the wobble at 70+ MPH.

The wobble would be related to the steering head bearing. At the age it is, suggest to take it apart , clean , lube, check for flat spots, reinstall and torque to proper settings. Ya I know,, them forks again, and I just did them!!,, well now you will be experienced.