IGNORED

Rear Shock Leaks

I have a 1999 Venture Royale with 60k, just got back from a 5 hour ride parked it in the drive way. Noticed a quarter size puddle under rear shock, and yes it is leaking. Will be leaving May 16 to do the Run for the Wall to Washington D. C., about a 3,500 mile trip. Really can not afford to put a new one right now. Does anyone know if it would be possible to ride it that far with out any fluid in the shock.

I surely would not ride it with out the rear shock, but hey, that is me.

It will not be a smoothe ride to go all that way on.a

My 2 cents/ opinion:

I would have to say I think you would be challenging the "safety aspect" of the bike and possibly others in your group, if / when you ride a bike in a way it was not designed to be rode in.

Just a thought here:

Maybe someone here may have a good used one they can LOAN you, or they may even sell it to you. It is not hard to change it.

NO NO NO .....

I had my shock start to leak and figured I would just wait till it died.

It went and it became unsafe. The rear will start to whip on the way up. Like riding a POGO stick.

The shock on my RSTD went on my in NC the ride from NC to OH pulling a trailer was horrible .

I put a Hagon shock in the Venture last year . Very easy job to do

I would not take a trip like that with a bad shock

It may last you . If it doesn't the rest of the trip will not be all that fun

I had one leak and rode it for a few weeks before it let loose but that was only around town and one up, I went cheap and bought a used one online that only lasted a couple thousand miles so in the long run a new one will save you money.

I have a 1999 Venture Royale with 60k, just got back from a 5 hour ride parked it in the drive way. Noticed a quarter size puddle under rear shock, and yes it is leaking. Will be leaving May 16 to do the Run for the Wall to Washington D. C., about a 3,500 mile trip. Really can not afford to put a new one right now. Does anyone know if it would be possible to ride it that far with out any fluid in the shock.
Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I will not due the Run For the Wall with the old shock . Used one does not make a lot of sense either. Hagon seems to be the way to go. New Bike would also be a solution!!!

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I will not due the Run For the Wall with the old shock . Used one does not make a lot of sense either. Hagon seems to be the way to go. New Bike would also be a solution!!!

Check out the Indian in the classifieds here mint condition still under warranty till 2019.

HAgon is the least expensive of the replacement shocks I think. I have replaced a couple and takes maybe an hour or so. Should be under $500 custom made to your specs when you call them. If someone gave you a shock I would maybe change it and ride. I sure wouldnt bother paying for one. Its a roll of the dice how long it will last. Some guys have got 110k out of one, others 20K.