IGNORED

Starter rebuild

Hi guys, I'm about to rebuild a starter for my 86 venture I picked up a used 4 brush and am going to rebuild it be for I put it in any tips on do's and don't would be greaty appreciated. My biggest concern would how do I get that bearing off the shafths that appears to be pressed on. Thanks Ken

Unless the bearing is bad don't mess with it. You would need a bearing puller which will damage the bearing getting it off.

I would start with just looking at the brushes, if the brushes and commutator look good then I doubt the bearings are worn at all.

Think about how much time the starter is actually spinning, it runs 1 or 2 seconds for each normal start. At 2 seconds per start, you get 30 starts to a minute of run time, or 1800 starts to get an hour of run time on the starter motor. That is a lot of starts to get one hour of wear, The bearings should be good for many hundreds of hours. The only thing that might take them out would be water in the motor.

by changing out good bearings you have a better chance of damaging the armature than you do of adding life to the motor.

Thanks for the help. I have a bearing puller and it wasn't bad at all they came off fairly easy. My concern now (and one of the main reasons for rebuilding it was the oil seal was bad) the seal that I took out had a metal jacket on it and the one in the kit does not. And fit really sloppy in the housing and very snug on the shafths is this OK or do I need to get a different seal if so I will just go to Napa and see if they can hook me up with the Wright one. Thanks again