IGNORED

Question on R-1 Front Brake Upgrade

It is about time to replace my front brake pads. I have found a set of R-1 calipers and the 14 mm master cylinder at a pretty good price.My question is, would it be worth the money, time, and aggravation of changing these out , or just order a set of EBC HH pads, which seems to be the pad of choice,for the stock calipers.I have the stock pads now.I figure it is gonna cost at least $300 to swap out to the R-l calipers and necessary parts to make it work without replacing the lines.That will be over $100 in addition.I do not mind spending the money if the difference is that great, just do not if I can get close to that effect with the stock setup with EBC pads or similar.Suggestions?.Any help or comments are welcome.

With out a doubt DO THE SWAP. I went from "grab a handful" on the stock front brakes to sport-bike 2-finger braking after, absolute night and day difference. Before you mount the calipers do your self a favor and clean the brake dust off the pistons and make sure all 4 pots per caliper are moving smoothly.

$300 Total...I think I did my Roadstar Warrior calipers & Master with new pads, and new "stock" rear pads for under $200.

$400 dollar total??? Clean R1's can be had for around $50-$60 dollars on eBay. FA252 pads are going to cost you another $50 bucks. DOT 4... $5-$10 bucks. Labor... free. Should only cost around $125. A very big bang for the buck.... :-)

Can someone post the link for the R1 brake Mod? I looked for it and couldn't find anything. I'm definitely interested in doing this.

Here is a link on my website to a PDF that I put together for another group awhile back that might be useful.

http://www.macesoftware.com/VNet/R1_Swap.pdf

Edited by Venturous
Forgot link... duh

Venturous, Thank You so much!! I printed it off and will be looking to perform the Mod! This is my 1st touring bike, and coming from sport and adventure bikes, I haven't been really happy with the front brakes. I've already changed to leveling links and a 130 front tire and I'm pretty happy with handling now.

Does anyone know what size crush washers I would need for this swap? Yamaha wants $4 each for them.I think they are 10 mm but I am not sure.I can get them much cheaper online if I just knew the size. I would like to not pay as much for washers as I did for the calipers.I called the dealer and they couldn't tell me.Any help is truly appreciated.If all else fails, I will take 1 to a local auto store and hope they have something to match.

Does anyone know what size crush washers I would need for this swap? Yamaha wants $4 each for them.I think they are 10 mm but I am not sure.I can get them much cheaper online if I just knew the size. I would like to not pay as much for washers as I did for the calipers.I called the dealer and they couldn't tell me.Any help is truly appreciated.If all else fails, I will take 1 to a local auto store and hope they have something to match.

I picked up a bag of 30 from McMaster Carr last go round....shoot me a PM and I'll gladly throw a few in an envelope for you.

The copper crush washers are 10mm ID. Standard with virtually all Yamahas. Boats.net have them for $1.94 each. Better than your dealer, but still rather expensive.

Copper washers become work hardened and need to be annealed (softened) if the washers are to act as a high pressure gasket. Copper crush washers can be annealed for reuse simply by heating the washer to dull red and allow to cool.

First of all , let me say a big Thank You to everyone for all the help, especially BratmanXj for his kind offer.I think I need 8 , 2 for each caliper, 2 for the splitter, and 2 for the M/C.I was going to order 10,just to be safe be safe.Condor, thanks for the link.I do not own a micrometer. I was just hoping that someone knew what size they were to be able to order some, and the deal at Mcmaster is very good, but I still do not know what size.Oh, forgot to say that I ordered calipers with lower hoses from a 2005 Roadstar and a 14mm M.C. They are supposed to be delivered on Monday.I wanted to order new braided hoses,but finances says that will have to wait.Thanks again to all for your help.

Thank You Prairiehammer. That is what I needed. I guess I was typing while you were posting.The annealing that you mentioned, Is that to be able to reuse the originals without replacing with new? I do have a butane torch to be able to heat them up.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got the time to swap my calipers and m/c. I used calipers from a 2005 Roadstar 1700 and the m/c from a 2007 with a 14mm bore.I used the stock Roadstar lower lines that came with the calipers.I will order braided lines as soon as funds become available.I also used the stock Venture splitter and HH pads.This is the way this bike should have come from the factory.These things will make the front end do a nosedive.I am very happy as of now, and do know that it would be better with braided lines.There have been times with the stock setup,it didn't want to stop as fast as I needed.I was lucky.I decided to do this swap, and I am very glad I did.A big Thank You to Big Iz for his great write up on his conversion, and to everyone that helped answer questions and offered help.This is definitely worth the time and money to do.This is the best safety feature that you can do for this bike,in my opinion.This site has saved me a lot of money over the years,but if this prevents an accident,it will be priceless.

Edited by Hotrod

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Part way through a brake conversion. Used FJR calipers, fully rebuilt with new seals. Hint MANY Yamahas use 4 piston calipers that bolt on the Venture, most only vary by the color of the bore caps. (love parts bin engineering) Using generic pads and 2, one piece, SS lines from a chinese vender, pair for about $15.00 to my door. (good fast cheap). I just ordered an aftermarket 14mm MC 'cause I'm not quite happy with lever feel yet, the lever is hard, it's a big improvement, and it's dealing with a lot of weight but riding back to back with my FJR I'm just not satisfied yet.