IGNORED

Passing Lamps not working- Please Help

ap4840

I'm brand new to this site and would love some input. I was in a hurry last night and was attempting to change my passing lamps from the standard bulbs to LED's. Well, I started disconnecting and connecting the new lights WITHOUT disconnecting the battery.....well long story short I shorted out my headlight fuse, replaced that fuse got the headlight working again.....but the passing lamps still won't work at all. I'm wondering if there is an inline fuse maybe hidden somewhere? I have a 2009 Venture S with the factory passing lamp setup. The LED's did work briefly before stopping....now the old lights won't work either so I've eliminated the lights being defective. I've checked all the main fuses and they appear to be working now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

if they were Yamaha / dealer installed there will be a glass fuse at or near the aux power port on the inside of the fairing, clutch side.

If your lucky the holder is still in tact. On my other computer I have pictures of mine. UGLY melted distorted I was surprised it still worked.

You should also install a relay and feed power to the battery (with inline fuse). If too much draw on the ignition circuit it will cause problems in the future. You connect the relay to the headlight wiring (see write up) so you can turn on the passing lights : anytime; with low beam only; with high beam only.

I have mine wired so I can run them any time.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?43898-Passing-Lamp-Installation

I'm brand new to this site and would love some input. I was in a hurry last night and was attempting to change my passing lamps from the standard bulbs to LED's. Well, I started disconnecting and connecting the new lights WITHOUT disconnecting the battery.....well long story short I shorted out my headlight fuse, replaced that fuse got the headlight working again.....but the passing lamps still won't work at all. I'm wondering if there is an inline fuse maybe hidden somewhere? I have a 2009 Venture S with the factory passing lamp setup. The LED's did work briefly before stopping....now the old lights won't work either so I've eliminated the lights being defective. I've checked all the main fuses and they appear to be working now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Safety step 1. Disconnect the battery before doing any maintenance on any electrical component :dancefool::crying::Bunny::bawling:

Update: I CAREFULLY :) split the fairing this evening and was able to locate the inline glass fuse.....Blown! Thank Goodness! Easy and cheap fix. Thanks again to all for the help. I Greatly appreciate the advice and guidance!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Update: I CAREFULLY :) split the fairing this evening and was able to locate the inline glass fuse.....Blown! Thank Goodness! Easy and cheap fix. Thanks again to all for the help. I Greatly appreciate the advice and guidance!

OK sport glad you found the reason they dont light. BUT do you know why it blew the fuse? A relay is the way to go. While LED will not draw as much power, a relay is just a safe way to wire it up.

Thanks, I'll go ahead and look into putting a relay on while I have it taken apart.....I guess I'll check with the dealer for a relay for the passing lamps? I don't have much experience with relays. The other option is to keep a sealed halogen bulb that is a little stronger than the Wagner lights that I have had installed I guess......

Thanks, I'll go ahead and look into putting a relay on while I have it taken apart.....I guess I'll check with the dealer for a relay for the passing lamps? I don't have much experience with relays. The other option is to keep a sealed halogen bulb that is a little stronger than the Wagner lights that I have had installed I guess......

the dealer is not going to have the relay, I got mine at Radio Shack. since you have seen how the great people of this site came forward to help you and now that you have experienced the vast knowledge of this site consider becoming a supporting member and become a part of the greatest family on the net. :dancefool:

When I wired mine in I put the hot connection to the battery (and then modified to a 6 gang fuse block) and put the fuse under the drivers seat. That way if the fuse goes it is easy to get to.

Check out the wiring diagram for how to wire the passing lights. It shows how to connect the relay. You don't need to be an electrician to figure things out with the amount and quality of the write ups on this site.

good tip for those who dont understand electrics.if you can understand the flow of water in a pipe. imagine your wires are pipes and the electricity is water , switches are taps etc

• 5 years later...

So yesterday, I was so happy to finally ride my ‘07 to work. First time this year after just riding my SVTC due to cold cold temps in the morning.    Anyway... I noticed my passing lamps were not working and I had to do something.   I really thought it was the fuse, but it turned out to be just a loose contact somewhere between the switch and the fuse holder.   I tried my best to secure it with a couple of zip ties and that did the trick.   My ride today to work had my passing lamps lit all the way.   

06FCE440-1DB1-4A4D-BDB0-7CE06C5153FC.jpeg

DBAF51BF-E350-4F96-861F-2D9C93C091FB.jpeg

161893D8-117D-429C-86A7-5B42F9DCE38E.jpeg

I EEEEEE Get ride of those  guillotine scotch lock POS. Either make a proper connection or use posi-taps. Also watch for pinched wires up under there. The travel lock for forks like to catch them and pinch wires and short.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, djh3 said:

I EEEEEE Get ride of those  guillotine scotch lock POS. Either make a proper connection or use posi-taps. Also watch for pinched wires up under there. The travel lock for forks like to catch them and pinch wires and short.

:sign yeah that:I am pretty sure the fine print say's to be used by U-HAUL operators only :whistling:......:rotfl: